NFFC Profile - Neil Hassett

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:26 am

Neil Hassett went back to the future in his attempt to win one of today’s biggest fantasy football prizes.

Hassett enters Week 7 in fourth place in the overall standings in the NFFC Classic. The reason for his fast start is simple – he went old school and loaded up his team with standout running backs.

Three of his first five picks were running backs. And that trio of talent – Rashard Mendenhall, Matt Forte and Ryan Mathrews – has played a key role in propelling Hassett’s team to the top of his New York league and near the top of the Classic’s overall standings.

“Having three stud running backs and being able not to have to think about who to flex has been the biggest key to my team’s start so far,” he said. “When you have to rotate your flex the potential for a bad game is always there.

“Mathews is my flex and has been much better than where I drafted him (in the fifth round). Waiting on a quarterback and getting the right one in Matt Stafford in the seventh round has also been a big key. So was waiting on a tight end and getting Aaron Hernandez in the eighth.”

Good depth has also been critical. Hassett found that out when he lost wide receiver Kenny Britt to a Week 3 season-ending knee injury.

“After losing Britt I was worried about my wide receivers but Pierre Garcon surprisingly exploded,” he said. “Luckily, I was patient with Garcon or I would have been in trouble. Usually, I am not that patient but this time it paid off.”

Hassett has also been working the Waiver Wire aggressively in a continuing effort to strengthen his team. So far, the results have paid off handsomely.

“Kevin Walter helped me when Andre Johnson got hurt,” he said. “Danario Alexander helped and getting and starting Naaman Roosevelt last week and having him score was just ridiculous. Probably the best move I’ve made so far was picking up Nick Novak in Week 5 and having him score 21 points, but hanging onto Billy Cundiff, who gave me 20 points in Week 6.”

The 45-year-old Hassett is a financial advisor in New York. He is married with three children. A long-time veteran of fantasy football, he knows that great starts to a season do not guarantee great finishes so there is still a lot of work to be done to keep his team in the hunt for the Classic’s $100,000 grand prize.

“I need good health and continued progress from the Lions’ offense and my running backs,” he said. “Waivers will be difficult as I only have $150 left.

“But I think I’ve finally figured out what needs to be done (to win big at the national level). Post-draft moves are very important, but the stud running back theory is my preference. (Point-per-reception) makes wide receivers attractive, but other teams then let running backs fall and that’s where you can get good value and build a good team.”
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

MGB MARTY

Post by MGB MARTY » Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:33 pm

Great job Neil We have 4 teams in top 39. My Manning pick at 6-11 is killing me where I could have had Stafford Great draft and good luck. Think I have to bring my kids next time since that is why you are doing so well
Marty

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:34 pm

Originally posted by Tom Kessenich:
Neil Hassett went back to the future in his attempt to win one of today’s biggest fantasy football prizes.

Nice start, Neil. Keep up the great work.