Suggestion for Next Year

JerseyPaul

Suggestion for Next Year

Post by JerseyPaul » Sun Sep 05, 2004 10:13 am

I'm looking forward to hearing from Greg and Tom on the suggestions. Could it be they are actually taking a day or two off? Well deserved, gents. I'm sure we'll hear from them on Tuesday.

King of Queens

Suggestion for Next Year

Post by King of Queens » Sun Sep 05, 2004 10:17 am

Another thing that needs to happen is to move people out of the draft room once they are finished. When all of the drafts are completed, participants can come back into the room. It was just too noisy the final two rounds to concentrate on what was going on--we almost missed out on Sammy Morris and Tim Brown!

Tom Kessenich

Suggestion for Next Year

Post by Tom Kessenich » Sun Sep 05, 2004 10:32 am

Hey guys, definitely keep the suggestions coming. We want to get your feedback so we can make this event bigger and better in the years to come.

As far as posting each draft online, I'm not sure we'll be able to do that. That's a question for STATS and something I can't answer. Maybe Greg will have a better idea when he returns and can provide a better answer.

Paul, we talked briefly about your comment regarding Adam Caplan in NY and I apologize we couldn't talk longer -- you really found me at a hectic time, so please accept my apology for not having more time to talk to you then. My feeling at the time was since Adam was also in the competition anything he said was putting himself at a disadvantage and most of the information was pretty general or common knowlege (granted I was busy putting the finishing touches on everything and didn't hear all he said). But I'll definitely talk to Greg about that and if enough people feel strongly that this shouldn't be done we'll definitely look into whether we want to make a change there.

We definitely should have provided cards or sheets for everyone to track the draft with that had an NFFC logo or a sponsor's logo or something on them in that fashion. That is definitely something we need to do for both football and baseball next year, no doubt about it.

As far as the leagues that get done early, I did try to tell folks to keep things down after their drafts were done because other drafts were still going on. We don't want to move people out of the draft room because we know a lot of you will want to check out the entire draft and talk with one another. That's always one of the best parts of the draft -- the after-draft chat that goes on. But we'll need to try to make sure all of that fun stuff doesn't interfere with the folks who are still putting their teams together, no doubt.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

TradeStar28

Suggestion for Next Year

Post by TradeStar28 » Sun Sep 05, 2004 8:13 pm

Originally posted by Tom Kessenich:
Hey guys, definitely keep the suggestions coming. We want to get your feedback so we can make this event bigger and better in the years to come.

As far as posting each draft online, I'm not sure we'll be able to do that. That's a question for STATS and something I can't answer. Maybe Greg will have a better idea when he returns and can provide a better answer.

Paul, we talked briefly about your comment regarding Adam Caplan in NY and I apologize we couldn't talk longer -- you really found me at a hectic time, so please accept my apology for not having more time to talk to you then. My feeling at the time was since Adam was also in the competition anything he said was putting himself at a disadvantage and most of the information was pretty general or common knowlege (granted I was busy putting the finishing touches on everything and didn't hear all he said). But I'll definitely talk to Greg about that and if enough people feel strongly that this shouldn't be done we'll definitely look into whether we want to make a change there.

We definitely should have provided cards or sheets for everyone to track the draft with that had an NFFC logo or a sponsor's logo or something on them in that fashion. That is definitely something we need to do for both football and baseball next year, no doubt about it.

As far as the leagues that get done early, I did try to tell folks to keep things down after their drafts were done because other drafts were still going on. We don't want to move people out of the draft room because we know a lot of you will want to check out the entire draft and talk with one another. That's always one of the best parts of the draft -- the after-draft chat that goes on. But we'll need to try to make sure all of that fun stuff doesn't interfere with the folks who are still putting their teams together, no doubt. I have to agree that having Adam Caplan speak prior to the draft was not a good idea for 2 reasons -

#1) This is a league with 100 large on the line. Who is to say that the guy who is speaking on stage prior to the draft and also COMPETING in the draft/league(Adam Caplan in this case) is actually giving out factual answers to the questions asked. Don't get me wrong, I am not implying that he made up bogus answers, but its something that could be done and would influence or taint someones thought process during the draft process. In 2005, you can have me speak prior to the draft in NY. I will tell everyone that a few top RB's are limping bad. ;)

#2) As mentionedd, if the answers to the questions are factual in nature, this provides information to the entire group of participants and could negate some of the hard work and research I have done over the past four months.
2012 - FI$HER - Flying High Again

DIESEL02

Suggestion for Next Year

Post by DIESEL02 » Sun Sep 05, 2004 11:12 pm

I would like to say great job to Tom and his people in NY..we did pretty well in all three leagues and I too agree about Caplan (football injuries.com-editor) getting on stage on Saturday and giving out some free info prior to the draft....after really putting alot of effort forward in research..as far as him (caplan) playing and having the first pick....bring him on...he was in our league NY#2...who's to say he's any better than any of us...and no disrespect to any team owner but if Priest Holmes hip explodes better for me(us)... :D ...I would like to add..it was very cool to put some face to names..Jersey..King and others
"Fortis fortuna adiuvat"-"Fortune favors the brave"

Greg Ambrosius

Suggestion for Next Year

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Sep 06, 2004 3:21 pm

I am back in Iola, but just barely and still too pooped to even read all of the posts. I apologize for that, but even 11 hours of sleep last night and a two-hour nap today still hasn't restored my energy. I think all of us involved with the NFFC went off adrenanline last week and now reality is hitting hard.

First of all, thanks for all of the suggestions. I apologize for not having logoed draft sheets available. It's the one thing I PROMISE we will make available going forward. I had a brain lapse on that item and hopefully Tom and Rocky still provided 14-team draft sheets in New York and Chicago. I know we handed those out to each owner in Las Vegas on Saturday morning, even though they weren't logoed. Great suggestion and one error we readily admit.

I hear you on the early drafts getting done and becoming a nuisance. We actually had the bar outside the draft room in Las Vegas and that helped, but people still came back in and looked over the draft boards and talked while people were still drafting. We'll work on that next year and make sure everyone scoots outside the room while drafts are still going on.

As for Adam speaking in New York, I asked him to help in case anyone had questions. As Tom said, he helped others by providing any last minute advice, but I hear what you're saying and we'll likely just go with former players in the future and keep it light-hearted.

As for Las Vegas, EVERYTHING went smoothly and I'll talk about it tomorrow in a followup post. But seriously, we had a great group of guys for every event, Napoleon McCallum spoke for 90 minutes on Friday night, we had an industry company provide skimpy-clothed girls to help put the stickers on the draft boards and the comraderie was excellent. Meat Loaf even showed up to draft in person as his movie gig was cut off short when the hurricane blew into Florida where he was shooting and everyone was sent home on Wednesday. He called Dyv on Friday afternoon and was in town to draft by 5:00 that night.

We did have three Floridians who were unable to make it to Las Vegas because of the hurricane and two of them drafted via phone. The third guy cancelled out, but we found a replacement on Saturday morning who was from Las Vegas and was hoping for an open spot.

It was that kind of week in Las Vegas as everything went well. The Draft Masters was spirited, the Auction League was competitive, interesting and full of beer thanks to Mr. Bill's purchase of a case after spending $150 on two running backs, and the NFFC draft was smooth and quick. Great, great time. Oh, and I think people even got to know a new side to the likes of Gordon Gekko, Dyv, and others they'd only ready about!

Thanks everyone. Time for me to get to bed and catch up on my beauty sleep. Lord knows I need it.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius