Is An 18-Game NFL Season Inevitable?

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:48 am

I was encouraged to see that the NFLPA addressed the owners' latest demands with a counterproposal yesterday. Chris Mortenson details the facts here:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5813574

Despite all the injuries this season, it looks like the NFLPA is open to agreeing to an 18-game season. There are still disagreements about the bye weeks and the number of players per roster, but the differences are minor. This all comes down to money and a resolution should come about.

So as fantasy players, it looks like we could be looking at an 18-game season in the future. Would it be as early as 2011? Wow, lots to consider here.

The NFL may have to start the season on Labor Day weekend, which would be interesting for live drafts. Hmmm, now what?

Anyway, check out the story and let us all know what you think the future holds for us fantasy players. Personally, I just want this resolved so that we can plan for 2011 accordingly. I just don't know how players survive 18 regular season games.

Okay, one last thought: Do we play 17 weeks of fantasy and just count out the last week or do you count out the last two weeks? There should be lots of starters sitting at the end of the season to stay healthy for the playoffs, right? Think about that for a bit.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:49 am

Based on the concessions made by the NFLPA this looks like a deal should get done very easily. The NFLPA appears to be going along with every major request the league has asked for with very minor modifications (going to 56/57 players instead of 54, for example). I see no reason why a deal shouldn't get done now to avoid a work stoppage next year.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Coltsfan

Post by Coltsfan » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:24 pm

Greg,

I'm glad you brought this up as I've been thinking about this.

I would think that we keep the season the same length and then have a 4 week race for the championship. We already have teams sitting players the last 2 weeks. In a year where there is NOT this much parity you could easily have multiple teams sitting stars the last 2 weeks of the year. Personally I think that a 13 week regular season is perfect.

Wayne

kjduke

Post by kjduke » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:27 pm

I'll be disappointed with an 18 game season. Throw all the records out the window, start the season earlier into baseball season. bleccch. Why not change the field length from 100 to 112 yards as well. :rolleyes:

For fantasy I'd think you'd have to run it for 18 of the 19 weeks in the first season; then take a look in the second season if that week 18 has too many starting players sitting.

kjduke

Post by kjduke » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:31 pm

Just read 18 games would mean 2 bye weeks - so now we have a 20-week season on our hands!

It will be a new era of roster depth for fantasy teams. No more $990 bids for a 1-week wonder WR after the first weekend. :D

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:33 pm

Originally posted by KJ Duke:
I'll be disappointed with an 18 game season. Throw all the records out the window, start the season earlier into baseball season. bleccch. Why not change the field length from 100 to 112 yards as well. :rolleyes:

For fantasy I'd think you'd have to run it for 18 of the 19 weeks in the first season; then take a look in the second season if that week 18 has too many starting players sitting. They are going to have to have two bye weeks, so the NFL regular season would be 20 weeks long. Sheesh. Now what?? Do you go with 15 week regular seasons and 3 weeks of playoffs or four weeks? I agree, each game operator may do things differently and time will tell which way we should go with this. We're entering new ground.

You are right about the records. A 1,000 yard season? Ha, in 18 games? We all could do that. This will be crazy, for sure, but it's all about the money and the players are just pieces to fit the puzzle. Nobody cares about their long-term health. Play ball....in August and through February. Wow.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

kjduke

Post by kjduke » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:40 pm

Greg, split it into two 10-week seasons! Then fanball, like the NFL, can jack up revenues at the expense of tradition. :D

If 18 games happens I would like to call for a fantasy competition committe made up of high stakes players and owners of the big 3 contests so we all can sort out what a new fantasy season should like. ;)

BLACKHAND

Post by BLACKHAND » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:31 pm

how bout :

1 - increase draft rounds to 20 rounds
2 - free agent money from 1000 to 1200
3 - have one ir spot that you have to leave a player on for minimum of 4 weeks. longer if needed.
4 - first 13 games head to head then next two all play. which gives you a 15 game season.
5 - three week playoff which leaves out the final two games of season

the only thing that might be bad doing it this way is it would be hard to make up ground on head to head play but if you start with all play you might have dead teams very early in season.

just thoughts off the top of my head so dont kill me on them.
THIS IS THE BUSINESS WE HAVE CHOSEN

Coltsfan

Post by Coltsfan » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:29 pm

I love the idea of a 20 person roster! If there isn't anything on the waiver wire then you should have drafted a better team!!!

I can't see changing free agent money - it's all relative.

A 15 week regular season makes sense followed by a 3 week race.

I don't like the all play at the end. If you need to make up ground it's almost impossible with all play the last couple of weeks.

One other option would be a 13 week regular season, 2 week league playoff, and then a 3 week race. The longer the regular season, the more dead teams you are going to have. I really like the length of the season at 13 games as it is now.

One more thought. This would be a great time to have a 16 team league championship. The math works out great! Small overall prize with most of the money kept in the league.

Wayne

[ November 16, 2010, 08:29 PM: Message edited by: Coltsfan ]

Chi_Town_FEW

Post by Chi_Town_FEW » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:59 pm

Great topic. All good ideas. I like the larger roster, but playing in a 10 team league with 25 man rosters, yea yea I know, 25 man roster is crazy, it is our 20th year or something like that, we never changed it, anyway the unintended consequence of larger rosters in the 14 team league is the QB, DEF, and K to a lesser extent. There are no starting QBs available and just the worst defenses. There are few starting QBs now on the wire and some leagues will have none at all with larger rosters. Position limits might be something to look at in the thought process also.