WR vs RB in Flex

Walla Walla

WR vs RB in Flex

Post by Walla Walla » Tue Sep 07, 2004 2:32 am

My case for a RB is easy. When a team moves the ball it gives it to the running back. When a WR gets the ball its because the QB didn't get sacked, looked down field and decided out of four or five choices to throw to your WR. The RB is going to get the rock to carry every game. The WR maybe gets the ball if it calls for it. Not a real hard one to figure out if your not from N.Y.

brad_brown

WR vs RB in Flex

Post by brad_brown » Tue Sep 07, 2004 2:37 am

I think this one is really a toss up. With the 1 point for reception scoring rule the middle of the road WR are going to score just as much or more as middle of the road RBs.

The only case I think you can make for a RB in the Flex spot is if it the RB is a bona-fide starter and threat to get 100 yards each week. I have Foster as my 3rd back for instance and won't put him in the Flex spot until he proves that he is getting PT and producing. I would much rather put Lelie or another receiver in that spot because even 2nd and 3rd receivers have the opportunity to post a 100-yd, 1+ TD week here and there. Back-Up or Sharing-Time RBs don't have that opportunity.
Uber Wizdom / Chicago League #3 / Pick #8
Chicago MickeyWhippers / NFFC Mid-Season A / Pick #6

lichtman

WR vs RB in Flex

Post by lichtman » Tue Sep 07, 2004 3:44 am

The question is not whether to start a WR or RB in the flex position. Obviously, you start whichever player you ahve that will score more.

The subtlety, which is clearly lost on Mr. Walla, is realizing that a third RB who will score 10 points a week had to be taken in the 3rd round, whereas a WR who scores 10 a week could be had at least three rounds later.

Although Walla sure is breaking some new strategy ground with his claim that WRs get fewer touches than RBs. Is there any data to back that up?
Hello. My name is Lee Scoresby. I come from Texas, like flying hot-air balloons, being eaten by talking polar bears and fantasy football.

Walla Walla

WR vs RB in Flex

Post by Walla Walla » Tue Sep 07, 2004 4:04 am

Ico Jones, Ah so your 7th or 8th round WR will score 10 every week? I think not. Give me one back who gets 20 to 30 carries vs a WR receiver
who may never get the ball every time. :)

brad_brown

WR vs RB in Flex

Post by brad_brown » Tue Sep 07, 2004 4:07 am

That's exactly his point Walla... you can't get a RB that has 20 to 30 carries past the 1st three rounds (first two rounds in some leagues).

And yes... the receivers you can get in the 7th or 8th round (Peter Warrick for one) averaged around 10-12 points/game last year under this same scoring system.

In my league you couldn't even get Duce Staley at RB unless you spent a 2nd round pick on him.... So after I had 2 RBs there was no point in getting a 3rd one quickly since all the 20-30 carry guys were gone, gone, gone.
Uber Wizdom / Chicago League #3 / Pick #8
Chicago MickeyWhippers / NFFC Mid-Season A / Pick #6

Walla Walla

WR vs RB in Flex

Post by Walla Walla » Tue Sep 07, 2004 4:27 am

So if I took 3 RB in the first three rounds and you took one maybe two and than went for the WR in the first three rounds I lose every time? Well if you are sure your WR is going to give you the points I lose. History says your wrong though.
Week to Week the RB is steady. WR is a crap shoot. It always has been. It always will be!

lichtman

WR vs RB in Flex

Post by lichtman » Tue Sep 07, 2004 4:31 am

Brad -- you and your crazy math! Some people just don't want to be convinced.

Walla -- give you a back that gets 20 to 30 carries per game? An average of 25 carries per game? That equals 400 over the season, right? Guess how many RBs had 400 carries in either of the last two seasons.

I'll give you a clue: no back drafted in the third round of any fantasy draft did it.

Clue #2: No back drafted in the second round of any fantasy draft did it.

Clue #3: No back drafted in the first round of any fantasy draft did it.

Clue #4: No back at all has done it in the last three years and it has only been done four times in NFL history.

So, I'm thinking your third round flex RB may not be good for as many carries as you are hoping.
Hello. My name is Lee Scoresby. I come from Texas, like flying hot-air balloons, being eaten by talking polar bears and fantasy football.

Walla Walla

WR vs RB in Flex

Post by Walla Walla » Tue Sep 07, 2004 4:49 am

I never was good at math. Only picking good players. :-O

richieprimo

WR vs RB in Flex

Post by richieprimo » Tue Sep 07, 2004 5:21 am

People seem to be forgetting the simple fact that the strength of the team has a lot to do with RB or WR at the flex. With the exception of a guy like Tomlinson, RB's on bad teams can be taken out of the action when that team falls behind, thereby increasing the value of some WR on lesser teams, which are NEVER out of a game, regardless of how far their team is behind. For my money, a good WR on a weak team could get a lot of garbage points in the latter part of games, when teams are in a "prevent" defense.
Paying Top Dollar For All 12 and 10 cent Superhero Comics. Send PM...You may have money packed in your garage or attic.

JerseyPaul

WR vs RB in Flex

Post by JerseyPaul » Tue Sep 07, 2004 5:45 am

I see no point in trying to convince the players on the wrong end of this argument that their strategy is flawed. When they lose, let them think it was bad luck, injury, whatever.

No point in them drafting differently next year.