WR vs RB in Flex

MidasMike

WR vs RB in Flex

Post by MidasMike » Fri Sep 10, 2004 4:23 am

we'll see ...wont we

nnoy

WR vs RB in Flex

Post by nnoy » Fri Sep 10, 2004 4:37 am

This debate has been beaten to the point that it’s a dead horse. However, I figured I’d chime in anyway.

My draft went McAllister, S. Davis, C. Martin, Vick, Favre, Shockey. I was never even considering a RC until the 6th round. The only exception I would have made was if one of the big-4 fell back to me at 26 overall (TO went 25 and I would have taken him.) I started taking RC’s in the 7th round (there were still 30+ guys left from my top-45 board at that time.) I ended up with four guys from my top-45 and a good sleeper in Patten. I fully believe that guys like Keyshawn have a great shot at being just as valuable as a Coles or Horn (players that went by round 4.)

David Patten (who I took in the 17th round) had a monster game last good (great for my DM team, but useless on my NFFC bench.) He scored more than Givens (9th round) and smoked Reggie Wayne (7th round.) He’ll likely score more this week that numerous 2nd and 3rd round RC’s (he actually scored more than Marv last night as well.)

The point is that every week a RC will pull a D. Patten and be worth 15+ points. The point also is that RC’s taken in the single digit rounds may go all season only sniffing double digit points one or two times. Outside of the big boys (only four of them on my board) RC’s are a total crapshoot. Look at Burress and Moulds the last two years, 2nd round value one year 8th or higher the next.

You KNOW Curtis Martin is a featured back. Sure he may have been inconsistent last year, but he will get the ball. I’d lay good money that if you match him up 15 times against a Steve Smith or Chad Johnson he’ll outperform one or both of them at least eight times.

The teams that took a C. Johnson, S Smith, Ward or Mason in the 2nd and 3rd rounds will regret it. Especially if they have a #1 back go down. On the bye weeks they will be lucky to crack 5 points at the RB position, while teams with players like Martin will get 12-14 on average. If this happens to be one of the many weeks where that team they play against catches a hot David Patten type and they get a Reggie Wayne performance from their “stud” they will lose by 30.

The teams near the top will have RB depth and likely be able to extract great value from their late round RC’s and their FA picks-ups. The teams starting the likes of Ron Dayne are going to need divine intervention to compete.

nnoy

WR vs RB in Flex

Post by nnoy » Fri Sep 10, 2004 4:58 am

For those of you citing Branch’s performance over the Edge as your basis to claim victory in the RB v RC debate you may want to look at what Marv did last night. I put the over/under at 23.5 RB’s that end up with more points than him this weekend. If anything this goes further to prove that RC’s are a crapshoot and one week’s worth of stats are essentially meaningless.

MidasMike

WR vs RB in Flex

Post by MidasMike » Fri Sep 10, 2004 1:54 pm

Yeah 14 points from Harrison is sinful! And i'll take the action on Johnson and Smith over old man Martin too! I will continue this debate ONLY with teams which are 1-0 after this week like we will be. Peace , Love , and hairgrease!! And remember i am playing a 3 running back guy!

JerseyPaul

WR vs RB in Flex

Post by JerseyPaul » Fri Sep 10, 2004 2:19 pm

For the record, Harrison had 17.4 points this week. He has had a bad week 1 in each of the last 3 years and 44 yards certainly continues that. Looking at a very respected Strength of Schedule, week 1 was Indy's toughest opponent against the pass. If 17.4 represents a "bad" week, I think his owners will be very pleased.

I suspect that by the end of the year he will average 20 pts a game and will be outscored by only Holmes and Tomlinson.

[ September 10, 2004, 08:23 PM: Message edited by: JerseyPaul ]

MidasMike

WR vs RB in Flex

Post by MidasMike » Fri Sep 10, 2004 3:27 pm

and moss

nnoy

WR vs RB in Flex

Post by nnoy » Fri Sep 10, 2004 4:58 pm

and McAllister

TamuScarecrow

WR vs RB in Flex

Post by TamuScarecrow » Sat Sep 11, 2004 12:24 am

It's all going to come down to player selection, folks. Just like nnoy has Patten on his bench this week which is doing him absolutely no good. RB's are going to give you consistent scoring, wr's will not except for maybe Moss. And Dyv, I can't tell you how many years I've had Gonzo and he's got to be the slowest starter on the planet. Doesn't get it cranked up until about Week 5. And be careful what you say about E. Smith. I've got him in two of my leagues and NE run defense sure didn't look good Thursday night.
2005 NY/CHI League Champ
2006 CHI#2 3rd Place
2006 Auction Reg Season Champ
2007 TAM#2 2nd Place
2007 Auction Reg Season Champ
2009 LV#5 League Champ
2010 Auction Reg Season Champ
2011 LV#3 2nd Place
2012 LV Classic League Champ

Dyv

WR vs RB in Flex

Post by Dyv » Sat Sep 11, 2004 9:08 am

Originally posted by TamuScarecrow:
It's all going to come down to player selection, folks. Just like nnoy has Patten on his bench this week which is doing him absolutely no good. RB's are going to give you consistent scoring, wr's will not except for maybe Moss. And Dyv, I can't tell you how many years I've had Gonzo and he's got to be the slowest starter on the planet. Doesn't get it cranked up until about Week 5. And be careful what you say about E. Smith. I've got him in two of my leagues and NE run defense sure didn't look good Thursday night. This is his year, Rick!

Go Gonzo, Go !

D
The Wonderful thing about Dyv's is I'm the only one!

nnoy

WR vs RB in Flex

Post by nnoy » Sat Sep 11, 2004 10:13 am

How did everyone’s 3rd or 4th round pick Mason treat you today? Score another point for the RBs in this debate.