Waiver Wire Without Trading

Diesel

Post by Diesel » Sun May 02, 2004 8:08 am

I'm glad to see that this league uses free agent pickups only, without trading. Trading, at it's worst, is the biggest stem of collusion. But even without collusion, league vetos often prevent anyone from making ground, because a lot of owners veto just to make sure no team close to them jumps ahead. Bad offers alone can drive you nuts. After 15 years of playing Fantasy Sports, I am glad to see leagues eliminating trading so I don't have to explain again why I declined an offer of something like William Green for Clinton Portis.
*Ranked #1 Average Fantasy Football Player in the Nation 2004-2013

"Fantasy sports are all about LUCK. Except when I win."

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon May 03, 2004 2:41 am

Diesel, in a high stakes contest like this a no-trade clause is the only way to go. It eliminates any scent of collusion. But it also makes the Free Agent Allocation Budget process VERY important as the weekly FAAB bids are interesting. You'll have an imaginary $1,000 to bid on available free agents over 13 weeks. While you might think there aren't many impact free agents available after Draft Day, remember that Anquan Boldin likely wasn't drafted in most leagues last year or Domanick Davis. Those two guys became pretty big in-season pickups last year if you got them.

So the FAAB process will be fun and important. This should be a great competition as we bring in the best fantasy football players from all regions of the country. Forget about trading, but be prepared on Draft Day if you plan on winning the grand prize.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius