Quitters ruin this contest....

Gordon Gekko II

Post by Gordon Gekko II » Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:13 pm

Originally posted by Bob Squad:
(1) Owners report deadbeat owners
(2) If the NFFC determines them to have abandoned their team, the NFFC then becomes the manager
(3) Making only lineup moves using a third party service's rankings
(4) Next year, for a deadbeat to reenter, a $50 fee is paid to the NFFC for previous year's issue

Well?

Bob squad - it will NEVER work. try as you all will, deadbeats are here to stay. they allow some teams/leagues a definite advantage. i wonder if nag would classify this as 100% skill

Nag'

Post by Nag' » Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:36 pm

Originally posted by Gekko:
quote:Originally posted by Bob Squad:
(2) If the NFFC determines them to have abandoned their team, the NFFC then becomes the manager
(4) Next year, for a deadbeat to reenter, a $50 fee is paid to the NFFC for previous year's issue

Well?

Bob squad - it will NEVER work. try as you all will, deadbeats are here to stay. they allow some teams/leagues a definite advantage. i wonder if nag would classify this as 100% skill
[/QUOTE]A smart dude once said "for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction". This actually applies in more than just physics. It applies in FF too.

Even though deadbeat owner hurts some teams, they help others at the same time therefore making deadbeat owners the perfect example of the varying luck factor in fantasy football.

In addition, since you, Gekko, said earlier that you would rather be in a league with deadbeat owners rather than not, you obiously feel that deadbeat owners INCREASE your ability to succeed. I agree and this shows again that owers who typically rely on skill to win will gladly accept whatever variable of "luck" the deadbeat owners bring.
For Players. By Players.

Coltsfan

Post by Coltsfan » Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:21 pm

Originally posted by Nag':
quote:Originally posted by Gekko:

Well?

[/QUOTE]A smart dude once said "for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction". This actually applies in more than just physics. It applies in FF too.

Even though deadbeat owner hurts some teams, they help others at the same time therefore making deadbeat owners the perfect example of the varying luck factor in fantasy football.

In addition, since you, Gekko, said earlier that you would rather be in a league with deadbeat owners rather than not, you obiously feel that deadbeat owners INCREASE your ability to succeed. I agree and this shows again that owers who typically rely on skill to win will gladly accept whatever variable of "luck" the deadbeat owners bring.
[/QUOTE]I agree with this completely.

Wayne

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:28 pm

A few thoughts from a new high stakes player as I read some of the comments made in this thread.....

- Although I have absolutely no chance on making the money with my NFFC Classic team (and some of the other teams I have in various contests), I continue to make moves and pick up free agents for these lost cause teams. I do it out of competitiveness, pride, and just because I want to win everything I'm involved in whether it be a weekly win, a season, or anything else in life. You either feel that way or you don't, you can't legislate it.
That said, I would be lying however if I claimed to spend as much time in preparation, research, or had as much of an emotional week to week investment in the teams that are out of it. It is human nature to care more about those items that still have a possible reward than those that will return nothing but momentary satisfaction.

-For those who want to ban owners who've abandoned their teams, please get real. This will never happen. The game operators are here to make money. They are doing everything possible to increase the number of their participants, its a far stretch to expect them to ban someone for giving up on a dead team. The only way they will ever ban anyone is if they become a disruptive force, one great enough to cause other participants to want to leave the contest. Its about numbers people.

-Another argument against banning players is although one would expect that those who are active participants on this message board are the die-hard participants in this industry, not everyone is nor does everyone make fantasy sports an overriding priority in their lives. Even those who do may at times have personal issues that make managing a team, especially a dead one, something that they can not make time for.
In 2007, my wife gave birth to my son, but suffered a horrible delivery that left her hospitalized for weeks. During that time my days basically consisted of working my 8-10 hour day until 6 or 7PM....going to the hospital to spend time with my wife until 8 or 9PM....and then heading home to relieve my in-laws and take care of my newborn until my in-laws showed up the next morning so that I could go back to work. To say that my fantasy football teams were not a priority at that time would be an understatement. I did not have the time nor energy to manage those teams....and honestly I could have cared less. We don't know why people abandon teams.....to suggest punishing them is ridiculous.

Glenn

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:40 pm

Originally posted by DOUGHBOYS:
Two examples of disagreeing with someone:

A reply after disagreeing with Renman:

Dough,
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------

A reply after disagreeing with Sportsbettingman:

#^$*#$$@## $$&#@#@!@ ##$$$@@!#

Just funnin' :D These two are such polar opposites.....

Sportsbettingman in both his baseball & football posts reminds me of the ultra-conservative Republican....who wants no interference in anything, hates change, and thinks anyone who advocates change is a Fantasy Sports version of the anti-Christ. He is the Rush Limbaugh of this board (though from what I hear, his drinking habits are more akin to Ted Kennedy)..... :D

Renmen reminds me of the ultra-liberal elite Democrat....who wants goverment (aka the game operator) control and repair of every issue, believes every wrong can be legislated, and believes Fantasy Sports Utopia is just a new rule or two and some inspiring rhetoric away from our grasps....Jesse Ocho Cinco Jackson would be proud.

I enjoy both their posts tremendously....especially when they're debating each other.....
Equally passionate, but couldn't be from further ends of the extreme.

Glenn

Henry Muto

Post by Henry Muto » Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:06 pm

Some ways to eliminate this.

The best way and really the only way high stakes fantasy football should be run in my opinion is to have every team play every other team every single week. Every team plays 11 games a week and then it doesn't matter what other teams do with their line ups every one gets a fair shake playing them. Also it stops the "I got lucky to play team A when Peterson was on bye and team B when Drew was on bye" everyone gets equal shot every week.

Eliminates much of the luck factor as well.

Also keeps you in the race longer for the season as you could string together some 10 and 11 win weeks.

If you don't like that then how about this idea. After the waiver moves end (Wed or Friday whatever day that is for the week)

After the waiver moves end for the week the computer finds all the bye players in your line up and auto replaces them with the highest scoring player at that position. This way no person will ever play a bye player (unless that is all they have nothing you can do about that if they only have 1 kicker and they are on bye)

There you go folks TWO completely different ideas and both will put an end to this situation for good.
2014 RTS Fantasy Championship National Champion ($200,000 winner) (2460 teams)
2012 NFFC Online National Champion ($100,000 winner) (1872 teams)
2014 DFWC National Champion (288 teams)
2012 NFFC Online 4th Place Overall

Route Collectors

Post by Route Collectors » Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:20 pm

Originally posted by Bob Squad:
quote:Originally posted by Sandman62:
quote:Originally posted by TOXIC ASSETS:
Maybe TEXAS WILD is not quitting but legitimately forgot about the Thursday game. Almost happened to me in my local league. These Thursday night games are something that can easily be forgotten during the course of a busy week.

To me the problem is quite simple. STATS should program it so that it is impossible for a "bye week" player to remain in the lineup. Bye week players would be automatically relegated to the bench and the highest scoring player at that position, that is on the bench, would be put into the lineup. The owner would still have the option of changing things, but if the owner doesn't check his lineup, it would be done automatically. Great suggestion.

We can't fix the free agent pool and we can't make subjective lineup decisions for another owner, but IR, OUT and Bye Week players can be fixed in this manner.

Sportsbettingman,

Believe it or not, some of us don't even want to play AGAINST dead teams.

Bob
[/QUOTE]This has been gone over before. If you let STATS make auto-adjustments for BYE weeks, IR, OUT, what about the owners who in the previous week had put in their lesser players due to bye weeks, but THIS week, they failed to put their better players back in? Isn't this possibly almost as bad? (i.e. leaving stud players on their bench because they were on bye LAST week)
[/QUOTE]Good point. I guess I'm back to public shame or banishment.
[/QUOTE]Not only that but a smart owner would leave bye players in on purpose just to avoid those lineup decisions and get the most points like a DC.

Listening to Bob is NEVER a good idea! :D

BONGIZMO

Post by BONGIZMO » Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:05 pm

Originally posted by Route C:
quote:Originally posted by Sandman62:
quote:Originally posted by TOXIC ASSETS:
Maybe TEXAS WILD is not quitting but legitimately forgot about the Thursday game. Almost happened to me in my local league. These Thursday night games are something that can easily be forgotten during the course of a busy week.

To me the problem is quite simple. STATS should program it so that it is impossible for a "bye week" player to remain in the lineup. Bye week players would be automatically relegated to the bench and the highest scoring player at that position, that is on the bench, would be put into the lineup. The owner would still have the option of changing things, but if the owner doesn't check his lineup, it would be done automatically. Great suggestion.

We can't fix the free agent pool and we can't make subjective lineup decisions for another owner, but IR, OUT and Bye Week players can be fixed in this manner.

Sportsbettingman,

Believe it or not, some of us don't even want to play AGAINST dead teams.

Bob
[/QUOTE]This has been gone over before. If you let STATS make auto-adjustments for BYE weeks, IR, OUT, what about the owners who in the previous week had put in their lesser players due to bye weeks, but THIS week, they failed to put their better players back in? Isn't this possibly almost as bad? (i.e. leaving stud players on their bench because they were on bye LAST week)
[/QUOTE]Good point. I guess I'm back to public shame or banishment.
[/QUOTE]Not only that but a smart owner would leave bye players in on purpose just to avoid those lineup decisions and get the most points like a DC.

Listening to Bob is NEVER a good idea! :D
[/QUOTE]Very true C and had I been able to do such a thing I wouldn't be suffering with that disasterous performance last night in the most important game of the year for me against you. :mad: ;) :(

[ November 13, 2009, 11:06 PM: Message edited by: BONGIZMO ]
Never do card tricks for the people you play poker with.

sportsbettingman

Post by sportsbettingman » Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:12 pm

Originally posted by Glenneration X:
quote:Originally posted by DOUGHBOYS:
Two examples of disagreeing with someone:

A reply after disagreeing with Renman:

Dough,
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------

A reply after disagreeing with Sportsbettingman:

#^$*#$$@## $$&#@#@!@ ##$$$@@!#

Just funnin' :D These two are such polar opposites.....

Sportsbettingman in both his baseball & football posts reminds me of the ultra-conservative Republican....who wants no interference in anything, hates change, and thinks anyone who advocates change is a Fantasy Sports version of the anti-Christ. He is the Rush Limbaugh of this board (though from what I hear, his drinking habits are more akin to Ted Kennedy)..... :D

Renmen reminds me of the ultra-liberal elite Democrat....who wants goverment (aka the game operator) control and repair of every issue, believes every wrong can be legislated, and believes Fantasy Sports Utopia is just a new rule or two and some inspiring rhetoric away from our grasps....Jesse Ocho Cinco Jackson would be proud.

I enjoy both their posts tremendously....especially when they're debating each other.....
Equally passionate, but couldn't be from further ends of the extreme.

Glenn
[/QUOTE]Not bad! :D

I'll take that.

BUT...If I'm gonna be polar opposites with anyone...it's Doughy Dough Dough! :D

Weekend...here I come!!!
"The first man what makes a move can count amongst 'is treasure a ball from this pistol."

~Long John Silver

Gordon Gekko II

Post by Gordon Gekko II » Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:01 am

Originally posted by Nag':
In addition, since you, Gekko, said earlier that you would rather be in a league with deadbeat owners rather than not, you obiously feel that deadbeat owners INCREASE your ability to succeed. I agree and this shows again that owers who typically rely on skill to win will gladly accept whatever variable of "luck" the deadbeat owners bring. ummm... NO. an owner that relies on "luck and/or lack of skill to win" will gladly accept being in a league with 2 deadbeats as well.