Quitters ruin this contest....

Gordon Gekko II

Post by Gordon Gekko II » Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:11 am

nag - would it be true to say that YOU think everything in your life is based on 100% skill i.e. personal decisions that you make)? luck is variable (but evens out over time) and therefore plays no role in determining your life, correct?

[ November 14, 2009, 06:11 AM: Message edited by: Gekko ]

bobsgym13

Post by bobsgym13 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:49 am

Originally posted by Gekko:
nag - would it be true to say that YOU think everything in your life is based on 100% skill i.e. personal decisions that you make)? luck is variable (but evens out over time) and therefore plays no role in determining your life, correct? Everything that happens in a FF season is contained within that season. Luck will even out over time - the only thing debatable is the amount of time or number of leagues it takes.

You can't simply reset your life every 12 months. An unlucky/lucky break in life can alter your entire life ...

Bob
Luck in FF is like a game of Russian Roulette. The BWaz's of the world only have one bullet to spin - the rest of us have two. It's still mostly luck, but ...
-By Bob (For Gekko)

KenGill

Post by KenGill » Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:36 am

Not only that but a smart owner would leave bye players in on purpose just to avoid those lineup decisions and get the most points like a DC.
-----------------------------------------------
That doesn't make any sense. The only thing the computer would do would be to plug in the players who had been averaging the most points per week PREVIOUS to the bye week. Past performance is no guarantee of future results.

My suggestion would eliminate the "deadbeat" owner probelm because there would be no more players in the lineup giving an automatic zero. One of the other posters said this should also include IR and "OUT" players and I agree with that.
I never lost a game. I only ran out of time. Bobby Layne
Kid....if you're going to make it in this league, you're going to have to learn to drink. Bobby Layne

Nag'

Post by Nag' » Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:47 am

Originally posted by Gekko:
nag - would it be true to say that YOU think everything in your life is based on 100% skill i.e. personal decisions that you make)? luck is variable (but evens out over time) and therefore plays no role in determining your life, correct? Not sure where you want to take this comparison but if you're interested in an interesting book about luck effecting life please read "Outliers" by Malcolm Gladwell. It addresses how luck, chance and opportunity effected some of the most successful people in our society and how these factors contribute to success in general. Good read and a much better use of your time than trying to prove that FF is mostly luck.
For Players. By Players.

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:57 am

I've said this a million times that NO ONE is going to talk about all the "good luck" that comes from deadbeat owners (or anything in fantasy).

Do you really think that Mankind would of started this post if he BENEFITED from the dead beat owner.....of course not! So is he really concerned that there are deadbeat owners, or the fact that HE was "unlucky" and got screwed by one?
I vote for #2. ;)

However, if we get ANY "bad luck", it is much easier to use that word "LUCK", than accept that maybe we aren't as good as we think we are. :rolleyes:

I'm not saying it doesn't suck to get screwed by a deadbeat (it does!), but you eventually will be on the end where you benefit.

Sometimes you will get many "breaks", and sometimes you will consistently be on the "short of the stick". Over time however, it ALL evens out.

Luck evens out over time.....PERIOD.

[ November 14, 2009, 09:07 AM: Message edited by: BillyWaz ]

Raiders

Post by Raiders » Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:00 am

Originally posted by BillyWaz:
I've said this a million times that NO ONE is going to talk about all the "good luck" that comes from deadbeat owners (or anything in fantasy).

Do you really think that Sandman would of started this post if he BENEFFITED from the dead beat owner.....of course not!

However, if we get ANY "bad luck", it is much easier to use that word "LUCK", than accept that maybe we aren't as good as we think we are. :rolleyes:

I'm not saying it doesn't suck to get screwed by a deadbeat (it does!), but you eventually will be on the end where you benefit.

Sometimes you will get many "breaks", and sometimes you will consistently be on the "short of the stick". Over time however, it ALL evens out.

Luck evens out over time.....PERIOD. Skills do not. This coming from a Steelers fan. It's not Luck when you pay off the refs, I guess. :rolleyes:

:D

John

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:02 am

Originally posted by Raiders:
quote:Originally posted by BillyWaz:

Do you really think that Sandman would of started this post if he BENEFFITED from the dead beat owner.....of course not!

Luck evens out over time.....PERIOD. Skills do not. This coming from a Steelers fan. It's not Luck when you pay off the refs, I guess. :rolleyes:

:D

John
[/QUOTE]Pay off the refs???? Please tell me you aren't still living in the 70's? :rolleyes:

"Immaculate reception"....

Quite possibly the greatest reception in the history of football! :D

[ November 14, 2009, 09:05 AM: Message edited by: BillyWaz ]

Gordon Gekko II

Post by Gordon Gekko II » Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:07 am

Originally posted by Nag':
quote:Originally posted by Gekko:
nag - would it be true to say that YOU think everything in your life is based on 100% skill i.e. personal decisions that you make)? luck is variable (but evens out over time) and therefore plays no role in determining your life, correct? Not sure where you want to take this comparison but if you're interested in an interesting book about luck effecting life please read "Outliers" by Malcolm Gladwell. It addresses how luck, chance and opportunity effected some of the most successful people in our society and how these factors contribute to success in general. Good read and a much better use of your time than trying to prove that FF is mostly luck. [/QUOTE]thanks for the info nag. but i'm interested in your answer to my question? don't play DODGEball here :D

renman

Post by renman » Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:08 am

Originally posted by Ugly Yellow Tomatoes:
The argument about STATS auto setting the lineup is mute. They already do this. They default the roster from the previous week. They could just as easily put in the starters from week 1. Or they could use a third party service to put them in in order of projections for the week.

To be accurate, an unmanaged team should have no one in the line up (get zero) since none were put in.

Once you use a default (like last weeks line up). You are already assisting an owner in making his/her line up. It's just a matter of how much help do you give them. For every Owner that is looking for an inactive owner to get a win to help them ... another Owner will get beat by an inactive owner (and be very unhappy).

Personally ... I would like to see a lineup set by the computer based on projections. It will put in a good lineup and the team will have a fighting chance to win (upset others). If you can't beat an unmanaged team ... you need to take a loss IMHO. Otherwise ... the team should have no starters and get a zero. Last weeks lineup is a bad answer to unmanaged teams. Ugly,

It is a shame more people reacted to your high schooler post where you mocked my example of an announcement that could and should be made in each city on draft day to discourage people from bailing out on the league... Because this above post is excellent and seemed to get ignored.

More people should be talking about this above post.