Quitters ruin this contest....

Gordon Gekko II

Post by Gordon Gekko II » Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:09 am

Originally posted by BillyWaz:
Luck evens out over time.....PERIOD. are u saying people that drafted T.Brady last year have a "luck fairy" that GUARENTEES them good luck in subsequent years?

renman

Post by renman » Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:15 am

Originally posted by Glenneration X:
These two are such polar opposites.....

Sportsbettingman in both his baseball & football posts reminds me of the ultra-conservative Republican....who wants no interference in anything, hates change, and thinks anyone who advocates change is a Fantasy Sports version of the anti-Christ. He is the Rush Limbaugh of this board (though from what I hear, his drinking habits are more akin to Ted Kennedy)..... :D

Renmen reminds me of the ultra-liberal elite Democrat....who wants goverment (aka the game operator) control and repair of every issue, believes every wrong can be legislated, and believes Fantasy Sports Utopia is just a new rule or two and some inspiring rhetoric away from our grasps....Jesse Ocho Cinco Jackson would be proud.

I enjoy both their posts tremendously....especially when they're debating each other.....
Equally passionate, but couldn't be from further ends of the extreme.

Glenn [/QB][/B]

Glenn

I am MUCH more aligned with the conservative/republican view points on things. I am much more about keeping government OUT of things. I absolutely DO NOT want government/game operator to control every issue. I simply think there are CERTAIN CIRCUMSTANCES where the game operator CAN address obvious problems in a way that ultimately makes their product better and TURNS OFF LESS CUSTOMERS.

I would have no problem with sportsbettermans view points about this issue if he could convey ONE COMPELLING POINT as to why we should not be discussing ways to address the problem of owners who quit in high stakes fantays leagues in a way that ultimately can ruin the competitive integrity of the event.

BillyWaz,

For the record, I ABSOLUTELY would bring it up if someone quit on their team and I benefited with a win. In another league last week an owner had not changes his lineup to get Randy Moss into the game after he previous bye week. The guy was starting a WR on bye with Moss on his bench. I commented on it to the league message board before kickoff saying I don't want to win a game due to that kind of thing. The guy luckily changed it just before kickoff (and I ultimately got beat).

I would prefer to lose fair and square than win on something unfair.

[ November 14, 2009, 09:23 AM: Message edited by: Renman ]

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:18 am

Originally posted by Gekko:
quote:Originally posted by BillyWaz:
Luck evens out over time.....PERIOD. are u saying people that drafted T.Brady last year have a "luck fairy" that GUARENTEES them good luck in subsequent years? [/QUOTE]No, it may take a few years, but over time.....yes. They may be taking a stab at say a Miles Austin (when they really are honestly taking a shot in the dark and hit) and get him. Maybe they take that guy who is ALWAYS hurt each year, and they get him in the year he stays healthy for the entire season and puts up a career year.

Of course, many people will try and play that off as all skill, because they won't want to admit it was "good luck".

"Good luck" gets masked FAR MORE than "bad luck", because we all want to label "good luck" as skill.

Nag'

Post by Nag' » Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:20 am

quote:Originally posted by Nag':
quote:Originally posted by Gekko:
nag - would it be true to say that YOU think everything in your life is based on 100% skill i.e. personal decisions that you make)? luck is variable (but evens out over time) and therefore plays no role in determining your life, correct? Not sure where you want to take this comparison but if you're interested in an interesting book about luck effecting life please read "Outliers" by Malcolm Gladwell. It addresses how luck, chance and opportunity effected some of the most successful people in our society and how these factors contribute to success in general. Good read and a much better use of your time than trying to prove that FF is mostly luck. [/QUOTE]thanks for the info nag. but i'm interested in your answer to my question? don't play DODGEball here :D
[/QUOTE]Not playing dodgeball. Bringing "luck in life" discussion into a "luck in FF" discussion in an effort to advance your already failed argument is silly.
For Players. By Players.

Gordon Gekko II

Post by Gordon Gekko II » Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:39 am

Originally posted by Nag':
Not playing dodgeball. Bringing "luck in life" discussion into a "luck in FF" discussion in an effort to advance your already failed argument is silly. it seems like you are hiding. go ahead and answer the question. you are on record saying fantasy football is 100% skill. do you think YOUR LIFE is based on 100% skill (your own choices). keep back peddaling, you may set a world record! :D

Gordon Gekko II

Post by Gordon Gekko II » Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:41 am

failed argument is silly. we both know this is your way of trying to belittle my viewpoint so you don't have to answer the question. red herring anyone? ;)

[ November 14, 2009, 09:41 AM: Message edited by: Gekko ]

Nag'

Post by Nag' » Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:46 am

Not playing dodgeball. Bringing "luck in life" discussion into a "luck in FF" discussion in an effort to advance your already failed argument is silly. it seems like you are hiding. go ahead and answer the question. you are on record saying fantasy football is 100% skill. do you think YOUR LIFE is based on 100% skill (your own choices). keep back peddaling, you may set a world record! :D [/QUOTE]Remember my chess story earlier? You win, Spassky.
For Players. By Players.

Gordon Gekko II

Post by Gordon Gekko II » Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:46 am

Originally posted by BillyWaz:
No, it may take a few years, but over time.....yes. you do realize "instances of luck" are independent of themselves, meaning if someone lost tom brady last year, their "luck" moving forward is EXACTLY THE SAME as all non-brady owners.

Gordon Gekko II

Post by Gordon Gekko II » Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:51 am

quote:Originally posted by Gekko:
Not playing dodgeball. Bringing "luck in life" discussion into a "luck in FF" discussion in an effort to advance your already failed argument is silly. it seems like you are hiding. go ahead and answer the question. you are on record saying fantasy football is 100% skill. do you think YOUR LIFE is based on 100% skill (your own choices). keep back peddaling, you may set a world record! :D [/QUOTE]Remember my chess story earlier? You win, Spassky.
[/QUOTE]when nag runs from supporting his own thinking, we both know what that means. come on nag, step up to the plate or is this your kryptonite?

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:06 am

quote:Originally posted by BillyWaz:
No, it may take a few years, but over time.....yes. you do realize "instances of luck" are independent of themselves, meaning if someone lost tom brady last year, their "luck" moving forward is EXACTLY THE SAME as all non-brady owners. [/QUOTE]I realize that.

However, I know some people always feel that they have many instances of "bad luck" (more than others). It could probably be easily pointed where they had instances of "good luck".

They may try and say "that was "skill" (and in some cases it may be), but again, that is just "ego" failing to realize you may not be as good as they think.

Of course there is luck involved in this contest (just like EVERYTHING).

I think MANY people play fantasy football because it is an "outlet" from the weekly grind of work/life. On Sunday, it is "time to go to war", which I feel makes it the best of all fantasy sports. One day of intense action to help determine a winner.