Quitters ruin this contest....

Mankind

Post by Mankind » Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:00 am

Sportsbettingman,
Dude, maybe you had one too many, I haven't lost, right in the thick of things, frustrated with teams just quitting and you come out with your childish remarks. Renman, agreed about getting hostile, pure frustration..thanks Route C ..

ToddZ

Post by ToddZ » Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:19 am

Question from an outsider with no horse in this race...

For all those advocating some sort of mechanism to submit lineups for dormant teams, how do you propose to adjust the free agent pool, since they are also not picking up potentially valuable players that the active players can now get to improve their teams?

Better free agents = more points = better chance of making the playoffs as a top 10% points wild card = unfair advantage over leagues with a shallower free agent pool.
"No one cares about your team but you."

renman

Post by renman » Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:52 am

Todd,

My main point is that we should have an active thread designed to discuss different ways to address this problem because it is CLEARLY a problem. That is all I have been saying and have actually seen people post as if having that discussion would be a horrible bad thing. I have seen people posting aggressively to fight the notion of having that conversation. It blows my mind.

My contention as it relates to your example of a mechanism to remove players from an active lineup that are listed as OUT or on BYE if there is a viable replacement on said teams bench applies to ONLY that scenario. I am not talking about managing a dead owners team all the way down to free agent purchases or lineup choices, etc.

My point (as it relates to this) has always been specifically about one singular situation where an owner is starting players defined as OUT or on BYE with a viable option on their bench. Being able to plug that player in goes a long way toward easing this problem.

botherk

Post by botherk » Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:16 am

Two examples of disagreeing with someone:

A reply after disagreeing with Renman:

Dough,
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------

A reply after disagreeing with Sportsbettingman:

#^$*#$$@## $$&#@#@!@ ##$$$@@!#

Just funnin' :D
Alge? Braylon? Knowshon?
C'mon parents!

Here are some names for football players.
Ouch, Hitcha, Juke, Blitz

Raiders

Post by Raiders » Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:19 am

Originally posted by DOUGHBOYS:
Two examples of disagreeing with someone:

A reply after disagreeing with Renman:

Dough,
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------

A reply after disagreeing with Sportsbettingman:

#^$*#$$@## $$&#@#@!@ ##$$$@@!#

Just funnin' :D Which one do you prefer? :D

botherk

Post by botherk » Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:20 am

I get a kick out of both of them!
Alge? Braylon? Knowshon?
C'mon parents!

Here are some names for football players.
Ouch, Hitcha, Juke, Blitz

RedRyder

Post by RedRyder » Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:33 am

Originally posted by Mankind:
I couldn't agree more...
Didn't the WCFF implement some kind of policy in regards to dead teams? I'm not even sure I like that or if that is the proper solution.

But what I do like is Frank's suggestion to ban a quitter. A real legit quitter, not someone who made an honest mistake and forgot to switch out their players.

I think something has to be addressed in regards to this and not just the answer in the past that folks paid their money and they can do what they want with it and the other answer of we aren't babysitters.

I also wonder at some point with more and more folks owning multiple teams and having silent partnerships, if this wouldn't bring up another problem.

--------------------
"We Make Our Own Luck!"
Fantasy Freakin' Football
www.fff-football.com That's my quote from another thread above.

What I'm surprised at is nobody commented on my last sentence. This could be a potential problem. I've heard this happens in poker, so many pros have stakes in other players, reach the final table, dump your chips to a "friend", etc.
@RedRyder

ToddZ

Post by ToddZ » Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:13 am

As usual, I have a somewhat quirky way of looking at things, but to me, the NFFC is a TOTAL POINTS competition with a few wild cards that get in based on superior H2H records. I KNOW this is not the way the rules are written, just saying to me, that is the REAL way to approach and consider the competition.

So as such, I feel the fact a league's free agent pool is aided by dormant teams is a bigger unjust than the potential of a team picking up a free win and having that free win affect the playoff participants.

Which sort of brings in another point. Which is better, to put a band-aid on a small part of a larger issue because the small part can be fixed, somewhat analogous to using instant replay on some calls but not all, or to do it all or nothing?

An argument can be made both ways. I have heard some argue against replay in baseball and football because since you can't govern all calls, why cherry pick those that you can? Others contend anything that is capable of being fixed, can be, so if you have the ability, why not fix it?

I am not editorializing either way.

The only point I wanted to make is I personally feel the manner a dormant team might affect H2H standings is less relevant to me than how it serves to prop up the free agent pool of that league.

Not saying don't fix the H2H aspect, just saying at least think about the free agent issue as well, or at least recognize there is an issue.

Carry on, I have a baseball draft kit calling me
"No one cares about your team but you."

KenGill

Post by KenGill » Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:34 am

Maybe TEXAS WILD is not quitting but legitimately forgot about the Thursday game. Almost happened to me in my local league. These Thursday night games are something that can easily be forgotten during the course of a busy week.

To me the problem is quite simple. STATS should program it so that it is impossible for a "bye week" player to remain in the lineup. Bye week players would be automatically relegated to the bench and the highest scoring player at that position, that is on the bench, would be put into the lineup. The owner would still have the option of changing things, but if the owner doesn't check his lineup, it would be done automatically.
I never lost a game. I only ran out of time. Bobby Layne
Kid....if you're going to make it in this league, you're going to have to learn to drink. Bobby Layne

bobsgym13

Post by bobsgym13 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:50 am

Originally posted by TOXIC ASSETS:
Maybe TEXAS WILD is not quitting but legitimately forgot about the Thursday game. Almost happened to me in my local league. These Thursday night games are something that can easily be forgotten during the course of a busy week.

To me the problem is quite simple. STATS should program it so that it is impossible for a "bye week" player to remain in the lineup. Bye week players would be automatically relegated to the bench and the highest scoring player at that position, that is on the bench, would be put into the lineup. The owner would still have the option of changing things, but if the owner doesn't check his lineup, it would be done automatically. Great suggestion.

We can't fix the free agent pool and we can't make subjective lineup decisions for another owner, but IR, OUT and Bye Week players can be fixed in this manner.

Sportsbettingman,

Believe it or not, some of us don't even want to play AGAINST dead teams.

Bob
Luck in FF is like a game of Russian Roulette. The BWaz's of the world only have one bullet to spin - the rest of us have two. It's still mostly luck, but ...
-By Bob (For Gekko)