Week 11 Thoughts

Tom Kessenich

Week 11 Thoughts

Post by Tom Kessenich » Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:27 am

Here are some thoughts and observations with every game but one now in the books for Week 11:

Is it just me or should the Packers have won by about 2 touchdowns yesterday and is the fact they had to sweat it out at the end of the game a real concern?

OK Brett Favre, you've made your point.

Did anybody else notice how scared the Ravens were to put the ball in Joe Flacco's hands for most of the game? Can't say I blame them. He has regressed significantly. And his regression has likely cost Baltimore a chance to make the playoffs.

Speaking of which, I'll say again that you can't beat the Colts kicking field goals. So if you have a fourth down at their 1-yard-line, you GO FOR IT. This isn't rocket science.

Remember when Miles Austin looked like the next big thing at wide receiver? That was a fun couple of weeks.

Welcome back Megatron.

Matthew Stafford and Brady Quinn were the fantasy QB heroes of Week 11 but outside of Start-2 QB leagues, did anybody start either one of them?

Anybody else feel like they got kicked in the nads when LeSean McCoy lost a yard on his final carry to go from 100 yards rushing to 99?

I think we can put an end to all of the "Kyle Orton is a savior" talk now, can't we?

Meanwhile, Jay Cutler looks like a pack of deer caught in headlights. He was JaMarcus Russell bad last night.

Randy Moss scored but Darrelle Revis won the battle again. He's the best cover corner I've seen in years.

Can someone explain the Bengals' meltdown in the final minute at Oakland yesterday? Seriously, how does that happen to a very good football team? Simply inexcusable.

Beanie Wells had a good game but I'm telling you people, Tim Hightower is not going away and it would be a huge mistake to think that he will.

Here's one of those good news/bad news deals - St. Louis wide receiver Brandon Gibson had 17 targets against the Cardinals. That's right - 17. The bad news? He only caught five of them.

I'm pretty sure everybody started David Thomas at TE this week, right?

Attention Wes Welker owners in PPR leagues - drinks are on you today.

I think the Washington Redskins should just call it a season.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Tom Kessenich

Week 11 Thoughts

Post by Tom Kessenich » Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:58 am

I admire Orton's toughness to play hurt but the fact remains he cannot bring a team back from a big deficit. He's proven that time and time again. It's a pretty simple formula to beat the Broncos just like it was to beat the Bears last season - build a lead and then force Orton to throw it a lot. The Bears couldn't win with that formula last season and the Broncos can't win with it this season because Orton lacks the talent to be a big-time passer.

[ November 23, 2009, 08:58 AM: Message edited by: Tom Kessenich ]
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

BillyWaz

Week 11 Thoughts

Post by BillyWaz » Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:49 am

Originally posted by GK:
...all good points indeed TK but the one on Orton isn't fair imho...he gutted it out big time yesterday on one leg and should not even have been on the gridiron...GK Just because you "gut it out", it doesn't mean you are good. Rudy gutted it out too, and saw the field for two plays.

Yes, he may have heart, but that only goes so far in the NFL.

He hasn't played well in WEEKS, as last week, ANY QB (HS, college, um......not named Cutler ;) ) could have made those throws to Brandon Marshall! :D

Orton blows. :D

[ November 23, 2009, 09:54 AM: Message edited by: BillyWaz ]

BillyWaz

Week 11 Thoughts

Post by BillyWaz » Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:52 am

I'll add one here....

Troy Polamalu is WITHOUT QUESTION the most valuable player to his team in the NFL.

The Steeler defense is "night and day" when he is in the game, or out of the game.

And Mike Tomlin.....WHY DIDN'T YOU THROW THE RED FLAG???? That WAS an interception on the play right before Chambers went waltzing down the sidelines.

Yes.....I'm pissed!

renman

Week 11 Thoughts

Post by renman » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:01 am

-I agree with Tom that Orton isn't a dynamic enough player to bring a team back or win games on his own playmaking.. I am not sure I saw anyone say "orton is the savior" though maybe someone did and I missed it.

-I agree with all the points Tom made and enjoyed the read... I will add some more "thoughts."

-How great is the NFL salary cap? Thanks to that cap it becomes 100% the responsibility of the individual organization to win or lose. The combination of competitive games with the chance that any city can have a winner at any time with the right mix of leadership makes the NFL great.

-Is it me or do the Colts have a look of a team that will get tripped up in the playoffs after a magical regular season?

-Rough being a Peterson owner (I am not) and watching them use him so seldom from inside the 10 yard line.

-Anyone ever see an offense less capable of sustaining drives that bails itself out with big plays like the Eagles?

-Did anyone cry in the Jets post game meeting with the press?

-Mr. Stafford became a hero in Detroit.

-Regarding that game, I am only going by a couple views... and I did not see a thing in the media since.. but on first glance, I can't believe they called pass interference on a hailmary that was picked off clean. Seemed like an epic bad call to me.

-Which reminds me that the pass interference call needs to be addressed because it too severely impacts games when it shouldn't. Can't stand the underthrown ball that results in a DB running into a track star who suddenly stopped and thanks to a poor throw an offense gets a 54 yard play.

-Guess the Washington defensive coaches took some notes on the previous weeks Dallas game with GB.

-Anyone Bench TO?

-Another overtime game decided without one team touching the ball. Sorry Atlanta, you need to get better at picking the coin flip (and defense).

-Is this the best, cleanest, most efficient year of play from Brett Favre ever?

-Hines Ward may be overtaking Cedrick Benson as the best value pick of the year.

-Why is Wes Welker the only WR who can do what Wes Welker does?

-Big Ben didn't look right in that game BEFORE the head injury that knocked him out.

-Kurt Warner is a hall of famer.

[ November 23, 2009, 10:12 AM: Message edited by: Renman ]

Tom Kessenich

Week 11 Thoughts

Post by Tom Kessenich » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:17 am

From the "This is why fantasy football can be so devastating" file:

Knowshon Moreno's fumble at the goal line sure looked like it could have been a touchdown.

Calvin Johnson 30-yard catch. Stopped at the 1.

Mike Sims-Walker 28-yard catch. Stopped at the 1.

Ugh.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

BillyWaz

Week 11 Thoughts

Post by BillyWaz » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:23 am

Originally posted by Renman:
-Regarding that game, I am only going by a couple views... and I did not see a thing in the media since.. but on first glance, I can't believe they called pass interference on a hailmary that was picked off clean. Seemed like an epic bad call to me.
On first glance, I can see why you would say that, but the penalty was on the guy who practically tackled the WR in the end zone before the INT was made.

At least that is the way I saw it.

Major balls for Stafford. Orton has them too, but Stafford is a WINNER! :D

Tom Kessenich

Week 11 Thoughts

Post by Tom Kessenich » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:27 am

Yea I'm pretty sure it was clarified that the PI call was on the DB who tackled Bryant Johnson and not the one who was covering Calvin as originally was called.

Gotta love Mangini taking a timeout so Stafford could get some rest and throw the game-winning touchdown. Genius move there.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich