Greg Will Be Inducted Into The FSWA Hall Of Fame

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:28 pm

I'm not sure how many folks know but Greg will be one of five inductees into the Fantasy Sports Writers Association Hall of Fame during the Fantasy Sports Trade Conference next week in Las Vegas.

Greg will be inducted along with Scott Engel, Eric Karabell, Matt Berry and Greg Kellogg. To be eligible, candidates needed to have at least 10 years of editorial experience in the fantasy industry.

As many of you know, before forming the NFBC and NFFC in 2004, Greg was the only editor Fantasy Sports Magazine ever had. He also became the first fantasy sports writer for ESPN.com. Just think if he had played his cards right he could've be swapping stories with Cris Carter in Bristol instead of hanging out with me every day.

I started working with Greg in December of 1999 after leaving the Packers beat and I can say without question that Greg is very deserving of this honor. I'm proud of the work we've done together, not just with the events but everything we did with all of our magazines together as well. I've learned a lot from him over the years and we've definitely had a lot of fun. I can't think of a better person to receive this honor than Greg.

I won't be attending the conference but I know he'll have a Corona on me.

Or two. Or three. Or ... :D

Congrats Greg.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Shrink Attack

Post by Shrink Attack » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:05 pm

Nice honor indeed.

Congrats, Greg...you deserve it.

Edited to add: This time, deserve has everything to do with it!

[ January 20, 2011, 09:07 PM: Message edited by: Shrink Attack ]
"Deserve" ain't got nothin' to do with it
---Clint Eastwood in The Unforgiven

SS

Post by SS » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:14 pm

Greg, Congratulations, it is very well deserved. Even if you are a Packers fan, we still love ya!
2010 NFFC Classic Consolation Bracket 2nd Place

TOMDOG

Post by TOMDOG » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:04 am

Greg,
Congrats on this excellent and deserved news.
Knowing that all of your news over the past month or so has not been very good at all,i am hoping that good karma follws you right up to the superbowl at least.But not to include the final score in the superbowl.
Just kidding,hope your team plays mine and its a game for the ages and the best team wins.
Congrats again,HOFer.

mattjb

Post by mattjb » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:42 am

Congratulations Greg.

Route Collectors

Post by Route Collectors » Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:10 am

Yes Greg I echo the sentiments as well. Congrats and I hope this is a kick off for an incredible 2011 for you.

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:08 am

Congrats Greg!

I know you one of the "founding fathers" and your name is well respected throughout the fantasy industry (heard Tony Cincotta singing your praises a few weeks back on his Sirius show).

Like Jeff said, hopefully this year is your best ever! With the news about the NFBC, it looks like things are looking up! :D

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:01 am

Thanks everyone. I posted this on the NFBC boards and hope you don't mind if I repeat it again. I am running around trying to finalize everything with the NFBC and NFFC and thus not on the boards as much as I'd like, but it's all good news folks and this honor will give me another reason to celebrate life over the next few days!! Like I really need an excuse, right? :D

Thanks all for the kind words and congratulatory posts. Thanks to Tom for letting you folks know!! Here I thought I could make a quiet exit out of freezing cold Iola, fly to Las Vegas, pick up my nice plaque and then sneak back quietly without anyone knowing about this. Damn, that plan has been shot down!! :D

I guess what this honor means is that I'm OLD!! And that I've been around a long, long time. :D They usually give you these honors when you're ready to retire or die and I'm not planning on either right now!! :D But it's definitely a great honor.

Seriously, it's great that so many of you can share in the joy of this honor. I really am very honored to be recognized for this award and for being part of the inaugural Hall of Fame class for the FSWA. It's a great group of guys who are being inducted on Tuesday night and I think we all have the same passion for this industry and we all have in some way progressed the awareness and growth of the fantasy sports industry. As I plan on saying in my speech, Content Is King in this industry and through our content we've all helped improve the fun of fantasy sports for many, many players, while growing the number of participants. When I started in 1989 there were an estimated 1 million fantasy players and today there are more than 30 million fantasy players in the U.S. and many, many more worldwide.

And along the way you have to be lucky. I was lucky when I saw the ad for an editor of a Rotisserie Baseball Magazine in April of 1989, applied for the job with more determination than anyone can imagine and got the job. I was lucky that we didn't shut down the magazine after losing money for two straight years. I was lucky when we decided to put football players on the cover of Fantasy Baseball Magazine and the incredible sell-throughs saved the magazine. I was lucky when Rob Neyer called me to be a regular fantasy columnist -- the first one for the site -- for something called ESPN.com when we didn't even have Internet in Iola, Wisconsin. In fact, for more than a year I wrote football, baseball and basketball columns for ESPN.com and never saw them because we still didn't have the Internet here. I was lucky when that gig gave me enough exposure to be asked to be on TV with Brady Tinker in 1997 for Fantasy Football Weekly, which aired on what would soon become FoxSportsNet. I was lucky when ESPN Radio then called and asked me to be a regular guest each Sunday night on Jack Arute's show. And I was lucky when our die-hard subscribers ponied up and supported the NFBC and NFFC enough to keep us alive for seven years.

Now today I KNOW I'M LUCKY with what the future holds for our high-stakes contests and events. I've never been more excited in my 22 years in the industry. I know this is going to play out well for Tom and myself and for all of our customers. So it's back to the hard work and back to building up the trust folks have had in us here. It's true that I've been lucky, but sometimes you also make your own luck. ;)

Just so you're not worried about me, I will give myself a chance to have a little fun in Las Vegas with my buddy Geoff and Charlie and all the rest of my friends in the industry. It's going to be a good celebration and a time to reminisce about some funny stories. I'd like to think I've made a good contribution to this industry for the last 22 years, but there's no question in my mind that the next 22 years are going to be even more historic and productive. :D I really do think the best is yet to come and I'm EXTREMELY excited about it. Come join me for the ride!!
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

moyer1313

Post by moyer1313 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:04 am

Wow!

Great news for the NFFC.

Packers beat the Bears.

Get inducted into the Hall of Fame.

More great news about the NFFC.

Packers win the Super Bowl.

As usual, you are going to be a busy, busy man!

Congrats, on the great news, the well deserved Hall of Fame induction, and the upcoming Packer victories.

I look forward to riding the coat tails of your continued good luck for many more years!

Enjoy!

Mark
Follow Me
'07 10-3 127.3 ppg $0 Won
'08 11-2 123.3 ppg $0 Won
'09 2-12 129.5 ppg $0 Won

The only team in NFFC Main Event history to win 11 games and not cash. :(

1683.8 pts. in 2009 is the record for a team with just 2 wins. Old record - 1479.95

renman

Post by renman » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:22 am

Greg,

A mighty impressive honor. It was certainly earned.