FAAB for next year

Ry's Guys

FAAB for next year

Post by Ry's Guys » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:12 am

I know there was a thread about this earlier in the year but I think we really need to change the FAAB bidding period for next year.

Considering the NFL will have Thursday games all year starting in 2012, it will no longer be a 5-6 week problem. If we can't do 2 seperate times (Wed. & Fri.) I would put my vote for Friday. Wednesday is just too early in the week with all of the injuries. Honestly I might not be able to field a team this week because I have so many guys questionable. They all may play or maybe not. Lots of concussions and hamstrings that can both be unpredictable.

My other suggestion would be to increase roster size by 2-4 players per team. Considering the amount of concussions and RBBC's there are now in football it is difficult to comfortably stash a guy that you think has the potential but hasn't received the opportunity yet.

For me it is easier to talk about this while it is affecting me. If I wait until the offseason it might not seem like that big of a deal. But it truly is!

What do you guys and girls think?
Pat Sorge

wayne123

FAAB for next year

Post by wayne123 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:19 am

I like the idea of having two drafts but with the following parameters:

The Wednesday FAAB would only have players from the Thursday Night Games available to bid on.

The Friday draft would have all free agents except those dropped on the previous Wednesday available.

But....can the system be programmed to do that?
I AM BLUE_FOOT.

thegambler

FAAB for next year

Post by thegambler » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:53 am

there needs to be two FAAB periods if the nfl is going to have a thrusday game each week.

wednesday is too early and having just one friday means you could lose out on thursday guys.

this league wants every aspect of luck taken out....well the way to do that is have two FAAB periods. that way you could never get screwed with thursday players that were questionable.

particra

FAAB for next year

Post by particra » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:33 am

The only thing that will happen with 2 FAAB periods is that high-volume players will reduce the number of teams they own. I'm fine with Weds. FAAB on Thanksgiving week, but the rest should be Friday.

My Ultimate team has the following players that I usually start:

Stafford
Gore
Bradshaw
McGahee
Megatron
AJ Green
Stevie Johnson

Stafford is probably OK, but every single one of them has some injury that could conceivably keep them out of the game. Or not. Who knows. Having to do FAAB on Weds. is brutal.

[ November 16, 2011, 01:44 PM: Message edited by: Hells Satans ]

robrakoczy

FAAB for next year

Post by robrakoczy » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:46 am

Why not just have one on Thursday around 7PM EST? At least we will be able to see the Thursday practice report before the deadline.

The only problem is, it would be cutting it close to game time. If there is an error with FAAB, it might be hard to revert, and fix any problems before the game starts. Owners would only have a small time window to set their lineup.

I would vote to keep it Friday. Everyone would need to plan a week ahead for any Thursday games and byes. We would then be able to see the Friday practice report, which is usually the best indicator or whether a guy will play, or not on Sunday (except the Patriots of course).

Chi_Town_FEW

FAAB for next year

Post by Chi_Town_FEW » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:20 am

This week is a good example of why we need two FAAB. Ball is available in many leagues. He has a shot to put up 15+ points. Maybe not, but with the way the NFFC is set up for most points scored, you have to have a shot to get him. I think quite a few thousands of dollars will be decided by 15 points or less. Two pick ups, just for the Thursday game on Wednesday, and the rest on Friday.

Ted's Cracked Head

FAAB for next year

Post by Ted's Cracked Head » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:27 am

I would vote for two periods but think that most of the high stakes players prefer just one period because of the volume of teams they own and the increased work load.

The arguments are simple:

Wednesday Con:
a) too early in the week to make educated guesses as to who you need to replace/backup and based on that info, who you need to go after to fill a hole in a roster.

Friday Con:
a) If you own a player or players slated for Thursdays game(s) and you need to go after that/those players backup(s) to fill your roster, the Friday deadline will screw you.
b) Friday does not give the participant a chance to draw from the entire pool of players available in a given week which in turn, does not give them the best possible chance to field a competitive lineup.

IMHO, at this level of play, I feel that we should you use the system that gives every participant the best possible chance to field the best possible lineup each and every week. To do so, you would need two periods, one on Wednesday and one on Friday. If that means more work, so be it.

The downside to this is that your core fanatics who draft tons of teams are suggesting they may need to cut back on the number of teams they draft. Time will tell if that holds true and the NFFC has to decide which system best meets their business plan.

Other con to two periods is that it could scare away new players as it may be perceived to be a little more over the top than a league with one period.

These are all important questions that need to be asked and answered by the NFFC. Not an easy topic to address but one that will affect all of the players at one point during an NFL season with a full slate of Thursday games.

I am sure that the next NFFC survey will cover this topic and give every player a chance to have their say.
My mama says she loves me but she could be jiving too! BB King

Shrink Attack

FAAB for next year

Post by Shrink Attack » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:14 am

If we were forced to go through two WW periods each week the entire season, I would find a new hobby or switch to a different contest.

I'm serious about that.
"Deserve" ain't got nothin' to do with it
---Clint Eastwood in The Unforgiven

The Franchise

FAAB for next year

Post by The Franchise » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:20 am

I might be in the minority here, but 2 FAAB periods does not work for me.

I can only speak for myself, but I "think" most owners who have a decent amount of teams each year would find 2 FAAB periods to be quite cumbersome. I actually don't mind the Wednesday FAAB, but have no problem with just a Friday FAAB.
Winning isn't everything, but the will to win is.

Glenneration X

FAAB for next year

Post by Glenneration X » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:33 am

I prefer two FAAB's, Wednesday and Friday. I played WCOFF with two bidding periods for two years and honestly, it was never that much extra work. Most of the players worth bidding on were all taken in the Wednesday FAAB. The Friday FAAB was almost completely limited to late fill-in pickups caused by later in the week injuries or injury updates.

One things for certain, if we do limit to one FAAB and choose Wednesday, the time deadline needs to be moved to 10 or 11pm or even midnight. There's not always enough time between when I get home Wednesday night and the deadline to take care of all my teams. I'm sure it's even tougher for west coasters.