Where Did Top NFFC Teams Draft From Through Week 10?

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:38 am

I know we have only three weeks of data right now, but it's still fun to see where all of the top teams as of today drafted from. With two different game formats using 3RR this year, it's doubly fun to look at the numbers. Let's look at the Top 31 teams in the NFFC Classic main event and the Top 25 teams in the NBC Sports NFFC Primetime main event drafted from since the top 10 percent of total teams in each contest are guaranteed a playoff spot:

NFFC Classic Main Event

No. 1 - 3 teams
No. 2 - 5 teams
No. 3 - 2 teams
No. 4 - 2 teams
No. 5 - 4 teams
No. 6 - 1 team
No. 7 - 4 teams
No. 8 - 5 teams
No. 9 - 0 teams
No. 10 - 1 team
No. 11 - 2 teams
No. 12 - 1 team
No. 13 - 0 teams
No. 14 - 1 team

** 12 of 14 spots are represented thus far. The top six teams all come from different draft spots (5,8,11,6,7,3) and 8 of the top 10 teams come from different draft spots.

Teams 1-4: 12 teams
Teams 5-9: 14 teams
Teams 10-14: 5 teams

NBC Sports NFFC Primetime Main Event

No. 1 - 2 teams
No. 2 - 2 teams
No. 3 - 4 teams
No. 4 - 1 team
No. 5 - 5 teams
No. 6 - 1 team
No. 7 - 4 teams
No. 8 - 0 teams
No. 9 - 1 team
No. 10 - 2 teams
No. 11 - 0 teams
No. 12 - 3 teams

** 10 of the 12 spots are represented in the Top 25 and the top 8 teams all come from different draft spots (2,10,9,7,4,6,5,12).

Teams 1-4: 9 teams
Teams 5-8: 10 teams
Teams 9-12: 6 teams

[ November 11, 2008, 07:24 AM: Message edited by: Greg Ambrosius ]
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:06 am

Okay, I'll try this again for Week 4:

NFFC Classic Main Event (Top 10%, 31 teams):

No. 1 - 4 teams
No. 2 - 5 teams
No. 3 - 2 teams
No. 4 - 4 teams
No. 5 - 4 teams
No. 6 - 3 teams
No. 7 - 3 teams
No. 8 - 3 teams
No. 9 - 0 teams
No. 10 - 2 teams
No. 11 - 1 team
No. 12 - 0 teams
No. 13 - 0 teams
No. 14 - 0 teams

** The Top 7 teams all come from different draft spots: 5,6,8,10,3,1,4. Only 10 of the 14 draft spots are represented in the Top 31 as the last three draft spots don't have any teams in the Top 31 at this point.

Teams 1-3: 11 teams
Teams 4-6: 11 teams
Teams 7-9: 6 teams
Teams 10-12: 3 teams
Teams 13-14: 0 teams

NFFC Primetime Main Event (top 10%, 25 teams):

No. 1 - 4 teams
No. 2 - 3 teams
No. 3 - 2 teams
No. 4 - 2 teams
No. 5 - 3 teams
No. 6 - 2 teams
No. 7 - 1 team
No. 8 - 0 teams
No. 9 - 2 teams
No. 10 - 2 teams
No. 11 - 1 team
No. 12 - 3 teams

** Eight of the Top 9 teams are represented by different draft spots: 10,9,12,5,2,6,1,3. 11 of the 12 draft spots are represented in the Top 25 with only 8 being the lone exception. The Top No. 8 team is 37th overall.

Teams 1-3: 9 teams
Teams 4-6: 7 teams
Teams 7-9: 3 teams
Teams 10-12: 6 teams
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship

Leroy's Aces

Post by Leroy's Aces » Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:13 am

Hmm. I saw a lot of teams that were happily dropping to the end of the first round and using the WR/WR strategy. The disparity from top to bottom seems more pronounced in the NFFC Classic, and is probably due to the shortage of RBs coupled with the WR/WR strategy that seemed to be in vogue this year. Any regrets from anyone on doing that?
'08 NFFC Primetime Champ

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:35 am

Originally posted by Leroy's Aces:
Hmm. I saw a lot of teams that were happily dropping to the end of the first round and using the WR/WR strategy. The disparity from top to bottom seems more pronounced in the NFFC Classic, and is probably due to the shortage of RBs coupled with the WR/WR strategy that seemed to be in vogue this year. Any regrets from anyone on doing that? There was a bit of a shift this week, but I think for the next few weeks we have to take the data with a grain of salt because of the bye weeks. Six teams were off last week, so that could have affected the data a bit. I'll keep providing the data, but I think after Week 10 we'll have more concrete evidence when the bye weeks are done.

But you are right, there sure have been some WR turds thus far!!! :D Braylon, what happened?

renman

Post by renman » Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:43 am

I was one of those who chose to draft from the backend of the board.. But more because I liked Gore, lynch, Portis (all 3 were available to me at the 10th pick) and knew I could then secure nice WR talent after. I think at this point of the season the teams doing well are often holding the same bust out players and that defined who is doing well more than where on the draft board they chose from.

Teams with Marshall, Rivers, Cutler, Boldin, Owens are doing well for obvious reasons... I think Marshall went late in the second in most leagues and that likely results in teams drafting from there showing good results at this point.

I think Greg is right in that we need 10 weeks to really measure this in a useful way.

Leroy's Aces

Post by Leroy's Aces » Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:48 am

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
quote:Originally posted by Leroy's Aces:
Hmm. I saw a lot of teams that were happily dropping to the end of the first round and using the WR/WR strategy. The disparity from top to bottom seems more pronounced in the NFFC Classic, and is probably due to the shortage of RBs coupled with the WR/WR strategy that seemed to be in vogue this year. Any regrets from anyone on doing that? But you are right, there sure have been some WR turds thus far!!! :D Braylon, what happened? [/QUOTE]Yes, Greg, Braylon has been terrible.

and

WR43. Randy Moss (early bye)
WR48. Andre Johnson, and
WR---. Colston have sucked so far, too and Wayne has only had 3 weeks to produce (due to the early bye week).

It just seemed to me that a substantial number of teams that moved to the end of round one did so in order to secure that WR/WR combo or RB/WR combo. The poor overall performance by 4 of the "consensus" top 7 wide receivers (Moss, Owens, Wayne, Braylon, Andre, Fitz, Colston) has led to many of those 9-14 picks not scoring as well so far IMO. Still lots of time to make up ground of course.
'08 NFFC Primetime Champ

bald is beautiful

Post by bald is beautiful » Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:23 am

Originally posted by Leroy's Aces:
Hmm. I saw a lot of teams that were happily dropping to the end of the first round and using the WR/WR strategy. The disparity from top to bottom seems more pronounced in the NFFC Classic, and is probably due to the shortage of RBs coupled with the WR/WR strategy that seemed to be in vogue this year. Any regrets from anyone on doing that? Sure, if I want to look at it only in retrospect.

I made my best informed decision to drop to 10-12 for my KDS. I try not to go back and have regrets because I made my decision based on the information and my analysis as I saw it.

It still comes down to making the right picks throughout the draft. I regret much more passing on Chris Johnson in rounds 4/5 and passing on a couple other RB's in 6/7.

Leroy's Aces

Post by Leroy's Aces » Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:55 am

I am just suprised that only 5 of the top 31 scores (after just 4 weeks) are from draft spots 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, or 14. That is 43% of the draft spots that represent 16% of the teams in the top 31. Given that Larry Johnson, Portis, Lynch and Bush are doing pretty well, AND that the NFFC is the only format (which I do like BTW) that permits one the chance to move down and couple that with 3RR, one can really make a big difference in one's draft strategy with regard to players/positions, etc. Every draft seemingly had at least 2 teams from 9-14 go WR/WR, and many others went RB/WR. The WR/WR plan seems tougher to execute in a 14 teamer due to the scarcity and demand of RBs, even with WRs going earlier (thanks to the value of a full PPR).

I am fully aware this probably will turn around due to the early bye weeks for Moss and Wayne, Andre improving, Colston health, etc.

BTW BIB, I was not referring to you (on purpose or directly) when I posted this. I do recall that you did go WR/WR in one or both NFFC/NBC Main leagues and looking at your team(s) and thinking how great they looked, too - and you ARE doing very well in the NBC I think. You must be ahead of our team in that league...for now.

Good point, SNAKE. That it why I said "a lot" not "all" or "most" teams were moving down to go WR/WR. Maybe just 2 or 3 out of the 6 spots 9-14. But in prior years, it was MAYBE one team that did it per league.
'08 NFFC Primetime Champ