Playoff Teams make sense?

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Wed Nov 03, 2004 4:54 am

This thread relates to some of the issues I'm interested in exploring for next year.

1. # of teams that make the NFFC playoffs
This year 32 teams will make it to the NFFC playoffs, or 14% of teams. That seems a little low to me. Let's bump it up (slightly). See below for how to increase # of playoff teams.
FYI...
In MLB, 26% of teams make the playoffs
In the NFL, 37% of teams make the playoffs
In the NBA, 55% of teams make the playoffs

2. Quality of teams that make the NFFC playoffs
Did you know it's possible for an owner ranked #2 OVERALL in points after week 13 to NOT make the NFFC playoffs? Picture the top three teams in this league at the end of Week 13.
Team Gekko 11-2 1850pts
Team JP 10-3 2000pts(1st overall)
Team Vegas Gambler 10-3 1999pts(2nd overall)

Team Vegas Gambler would have to stick with his 3rd place money and enter the consolation tournament. Doesn't seem fair to exclude the team who could be #2 overall in pts after week 13 from the playoffs.

Conclusions: By combining #1 and #2, I'd suggest increasing the playoff teams for next year to include:
1) All 1st place league finishers
2) All 2nd place league finishers
3) Add 1 team for every two leagues. Assuming 32 leagues next year, add another 16 teams to the playoffs. These teams would be the 16 teams that had the highest pts scored, but didn't finish #1 or #2 in their respective leagues. This would increase the number of NFFC playoff teams from 14% to 17%. This is a very small increase and would not water down the playoffs, yet it would reward the unlucky, but deserving owner.

Thoughts?
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Wed Nov 03, 2004 4:55 am

Originally posted by BillyWaz:
Anybody who is "in contention" is aware of this. I know I am, as I am currently 2nd in points and in 1st place in NY6, but with a streak of bad luck, I could be in the very position that you speak of.

I agree with doing something about this next year, because I don't make a lot of $$, and $1,250 is a lot for me to "shell out" to HOPE I don't encounter injuries, hope I have a favorable schedule, etc.

It's like in Texas Hold Em' when you have a GREAT hand, and you play it perfectly,....only to get beat on the river. There is nothing you can do. Fantasy Football is VERY similar, because I can put a great team out there, but who am I to stop Derrick Blaylock from scoring 4 TD's on me (didn't really happen) because some desperate owner just happened to throw him in their lineup?

That being said Gekko, I would love to get in your $100 league next year with the same rules as NFFC, if there is an opening? I REALLY like the scoring system and the starting requirements, but I have "3 small mouths to feed", and $1,250 is a lot to put up for something that is 30-40% luck BEFORE the injuries even factor in!

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Wed Nov 03, 2004 4:55 am

Originally posted by Vega$ Gambler$:
My softball league has 100% of the teams so to the playoffs, so maybe everyone should be in......

Seriously, are you suggesting that in the current format, some "less than quality" teams will be in the playoffs. Is this what your heading "2. Quality of teams that make the NFFC playoffs" means?

I believe every team that makes the playoffs is a quality team, so what is your problem now, are you on the bubble and now you need to bitch about this. First you bitch because you didn't get your draft slot and make excuses the whole freakin year, now you think you should be in the playoffs even though there are 2 teams ahead of you?????

Do you realize that in the pros, now pay attention, points or runs scored have no bearing on who goes to the playoffs???????????????????? This is being done to reward some of the stronger teams in this contest. Records will ALWAYS be the first determining factor in fantasy sports (unless you are in a roto league) and the playoffs (roto does not have playoffs). What is the logic you fail to see here??? :rolleyes: Sports is always based on records, not strength of the team or runs scored or points or defense or and other reason you need to find. But Greg has offered this to us for teams that had some bad luck, so instead of crying every single day, sit back and say.

"Thanx Greg for giving me the chance to advance even though I do not have the best record and giving me hope"

It amazes me about all the excuses being made around here. How about this, sack up and play and try to enjoy it. You are going to give yourself a heart attack one of these days.

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Wed Nov 03, 2004 4:56 am

Originally posted by Vega$ Gambler$:
My softball league has 100% of the teams so to the playoffs, so maybe everyone should be in......

Seriously, are you suggesting that in the current format, some "less than quality" teams will be in the playoffs. Is this what your heading "2. Quality of teams that make the NFFC playoffs" means?

I believe every team that makes the playoffs is a quality team, so what is your problem now, are you on the bubble and now you need to bitch about this. First you bitch because you didn't get your draft slot and make excuses the whole freakin year, now you think you should be in the playoffs even though there are 2 teams ahead of you?????

Do you realize that in the pros, now pay attention, points or runs scored have no bearing on who goes to the playoffs???????????????????? This is being done to reward some of the stronger teams in this contest. Records will ALWAYS be the first determining factor in fantasy sports (unless you are in a roto league) and the playoffs (roto does not have playoffs). What is the logic you fail to see here??? :rolleyes: Sports is always based on records, not strength of the team or runs scored or points or defense or and other reason you need to find. But Greg has offered this to us for teams that had some bad luck, so instead of crying every single day, sit back and say.

"Thanx Greg for giving me the chance to advance even though I do not have the best record and giving me hope"

It amazes me about all the excuses being made around here. How about this, sack up and play and try to enjoy it. You are going to give yourself a heart attack one of these days. No one is making excuses…simply discussing issues.

This is a fact: It’s possible for the 2nd best team OVERALL (according to points) to not advance to the NFFC playoffs. That’s an extreme case, but still possible given the current set-up. If Greg reaches 602 teams and the team with the 2nd most points overall doesn’t make the playoffs, the outcry would be deafening. As an FYI, the other event already realized this to be an issue and has instituted a similar policy to what I’m throwing out there. You should have already known about this. Then again, maybe you were playing softball with your buds when that news came out.

Forget about trying to pin things on “Gekko”. Think about the greater good.

With that said, Phil, you are clearly on the losing end of this one. You will be exposed as a MB fraud. In addition, stop being so grumpy. You’re actually starting to sound like a bitter old man. Again, no one is making excuses…simply discussing issues.

JerseyPaul

Post by JerseyPaul » Wed Nov 03, 2004 5:14 am

I agree that it would be better for the contest that the top "n" point winners are guaranteed a spot in the finals.

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Wed Nov 03, 2004 6:27 am

Originally posted by JerseyPaul:
I agree that it would be better for the contest that the top "n" point winners are guaranteed a spot in the finals. see that. you made a good pt with minimal verbiage. job well done!

Route Collectors

Post by Route Collectors » Wed Nov 03, 2004 7:44 am

Originally posted by Gordon Gekko:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Vega$ Gambler$:
[qb]

Do you realize that in the pros, now pay attention, points or runs scored have no bearing on who goes to the playoffs????????????????????

"Trying to compare FF equally to the NFL is pointless. If T.Barber pops off a 24 yd. run, does the scoreboard add 2.4 pts to the Giants score?"

This is being done to reward some of the stronger teams in this contest.

"Isn't that why we play?"

Records will ALWAYS be the first determining factor in fantasy sports (unless you are in a roto league) and the playoffs (roto does not have playoffs). What is the logic you fail to see here??? :rolleyes: Sports is always based on records, not strength of the team or runs scored or points or defense or and other reason you need to find. Again confusing fantasy with the real thing.
How about comparing this to the NCAA b-ball tournament. Sure there are a few below average teams that get automatic bids. (FF records)

There are always several very good teams that get at large bids. (FF points)

I can't remember a top 25 team ever missing the big dance. Why not? Because the point is to have the best teams competing for the crown.
If you want to be the best, you have to beat the best. ;)

[ November 03, 2004, 01:49 PM: Message edited by: Route C ]

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Wed Nov 03, 2004 8:00 am

Originally posted by Route C:
Again confusing fantasy with the real thing.
How about comparing this to the NCAA b-ball tournament. Sure there are a few below average teams that get automatic bids. (FF records)

There are always several very good teams that get at large bids. (FF points)

I can't remember a top 25 team ever missing the big dance. Why not? Because the point is to have the best teams competing for the crown.
If you want to be the best, you have to beat the best. ;) yes. the ncaa tourny is a great example. good job.

nnoy

Post by nnoy » Wed Nov 03, 2004 8:25 am

NCAA note to Route:

Back in the late 90’s Minnesota was ranked 25th in the final regular season poll and was not invited to the Dance. I believe they won the NIT that year, so yes it does happen.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Nov 03, 2004 9:25 am

My original intent when devising the playoff format was to reward the top two teams in each league and not create a wild card scenario. Thus it was obvious that if you finished first in your league or had the league's high point total, you had a very legitimate chance of winning the $100,000 grand prize. I have to believe that your odds of winning the grand prize will never be better than they are this year with only 32 playoff teams.

We'll evaluate the whole system at season's end and maybe tweak the playoff system a little if the numbers warrant it. Yes, Gordon, you are correct that it's possible that the No. 2 overall team could get squeezed out of the playoffs. That would be unfortunate, but obviously that team would also finish with just third place league money, which would also be unfortunate. It also wasn't fair in Week 1 when the No. 2 overall point getter lost his head-to-head matchup to the No. 1 overall point getter, but those things happen.

If we have several teams in the Top 20 overall this year being eliminated from the playoffs, then maybe we'll reevaluate this and come up with a number that seems reasonable. But I don't think you'll see a wild card format coming from the NFFC at this point. More likely I'd consider something in the form of "the top two teams in each league advancing to the playoffs and any team in the Top 25 overall which failed to make the playoffs" in future years.

Just my two cents, for what they're worth. ;)
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius