Let's talk QB's

Gordon Gekko

Let's talk QB's

Post by Gordon Gekko » Sun Jun 03, 2007 5:33 am

I've completed my preliminary lok at QB's and I found a couple of interesting things...

First thing that jumps off the page at me is that Tom Brady cold have a HUGE season. 30+ td's is a distinct possibility. The offensive additions made this offseason have to make Brady smile. Randy Moss and Donte Stallworth are legit and can be difference makers. Also the offense subtracted off TD-vulture C.Dillon leaving only oft-injured Maroney to siphon off td's. Brady had 24 td's with GARBAGE at wr and dillon taking away 13 td's!!!!!

Seond, Alex Smith is likely to be very undervalued this year. D.Jackson and a full year of V.Davis help to boost his value. Smith showed good growth during his home games last year (a sign of a maturing player). If he takes the step on the road this year, his numbers will likely surprise you and be a good value pick given his adp.

anybody have any thoughts on the QB's out there?
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?

RiFF

Let's talk QB's

Post by RiFF » Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:03 am

Although P Manning will still be the 1st QB selected and will likely be drafted in the 1st round in many drafts again; this year, he'll actually prove worthy of that pick. Indy will have an appreciable drop in Defensive production this year which will necessitate Manning once again putting up HUGE numbers. I agree with the assessment of Brady and disagree with the assessment of A Smith. Seattle knew exactly what they were doing in letting Jackson go. He will be a big flop in SF, based on his deteriorating skills and A Smith vs Hasselbeck. With the loss of N Turner as OC,Smith will not progress and may very likely regress this year.
Based on the "experts" early projections I see the disappointments being Brees and V Young. Most seem to have Brees in the top 5 and Young in the top 10. Don't see either of them ending there.
Again, based on the "experts" early rankings I believe J Delhomme is well undervalued along with M Schaub. Most have both ranked below the top 20 QB's. I see both of them being worthy starters in 14 team leagues.

BillyWaz

Let's talk QB's

Post by BillyWaz » Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:27 am

I agree Brady could be huge this year, as there is NO QUESTION that his receiving core is better than it ever has been. However, the "devil's advocate" in me feels the defense is also much improved, which means they could be playing ahead A LOT which obviously takes away the need to pass so much.

I'm not in the "Alex Smith camp" yet, as although I think Vernon Davis is a "freak", D-Jax RARELY stays healthy. I think Alex Smith is in that 16-18 range which makes him a GREAT #2, and a possible starter on different weeks, but no one I would trust each week.

The draft "experts" said the same thing about Manning last year, as he lost a lot on D, but I am not buying it. No question Manning will (or should) be drafted as the #1 QB, and I can't see any possible way (barring injury of course) that he doesn't finish in the top 3 (and he would have to be pretty disappointing to do that).

I'll keep the rest to myself. ;)

sportsbettingman

Let's talk QB's

Post by sportsbettingman » Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:53 am

Watching NFL network (even the replay of the CHI/NE game right now)...feels SOOOOO Good on a Sunday Morning!!!

I freaking LOVE the NFL!

O, yess...the topic...Brady will rock. I have a feeling coach Belichick has all the personal "bed press" behind him now and we'll see a deep playoff run for a Superbowl in 2007. Maroney is a stallion, and this may be the BEST NE recieving corps they've ever had (with TE's).

We'll see.

~Lance
"The first man what makes a move can count amongst 'is treasure a ball from this pistol."

~Long John Silver

RI WORKHORSE

Let's talk QB's

Post by RI WORKHORSE » Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:46 am

Originally posted by Gordon Gekko:
I've completed my preliminary lok at QB's and I found a couple of interesting things...

First thing that jumps off the page at me is that Tom Brady cold have a HUGE season. 30+ td's is a distinct possibility. The offensive additions made this offseason have to make Brady smile. Randy Moss and Donte Stallworth are legit and can be difference makers. Also the offense subtracted off TD-vulture C.Dillon leaving only oft-injured Maroney to siphon off td's. Brady had 24 td's with GARBAGE at wr and dillon taking away 13 td's!!!!!

Seond, Alex Smith is likely to be very undervalued this year. D.Jackson and a full year of V.Davis help to boost his value. Smith showed good growth during his home games last year (a sign of a maturing player). If he takes the step on the road this year, his numbers will likely surprise you and be a good value pick given his adp.

anybody have any thoughts on the QB's out there? My thoughts.....

First off, Agree with the other guys here. DJax is going down hill fast and his better days are left in seattle.

On the Qb thing, I really don't think it matters to much..I wouldn't waste my time going through Qb's. Everyone should get there hands on two qb's and one of the two will be just fine. There all to close to call and depth for quarterbacks is crazy this year.

As for the Maroney and Dillon talk....I like to draft guys that I like along with production. And there will be a new vulture to take TD's away. Sammy Morris. If you guys want alot of Td's late in the draft then Sammy is your guy.

Im one of those guys who "Likes to keep things to my self" But Sammy will be the new Dillon and nothing will change. Sammy is the same type of guy Dillion was last year and will be this year. Trust me, Sammy Will get 8-10 TD's. I will not Be drafting him though, as he is a guy I don't like to watch. Ill take him late though. And if you draft Maroney you better get Sammy :D :D
I.W
Johnny Frisella

Route Collectors

Let's talk QB's

Post by Route Collectors » Sun Jun 03, 2007 4:34 pm

Here's a freebie for the newbies. No one ever has or IMO ever will win the NFFC by drafting a QB in the first round. Each year someone in every league does us all a favor by taking Manning in the 1st round.

I doubt that anyone drafting a QB in the 2nd round will ever win the NFFC either. A few will make the dance but not be strong enough to win it.

In year 1 of the NFFC I had Manning (2nd round) the year he threw 49 TD's. Good enough to be 2nd in overall points after week 13 but only finish 12th after the playoffs. Of course this was during the incredible run by GG's team but no matter...still couldn't cash.

I semi-agree with Johnny except I don't think any old QB will do.

My point is this: you give up far too much ground to your opponants by passing on a RB or WR in rounds 1&2 to take a QB. After 3 years of NFFC...you'd have to be a rookie to miss this point....but someone always does. ;)

No QB before round 6. Plenty of value between rounds 6-10 this season IMHO.

Gordon Gekko

Let's talk QB's

Post by Gordon Gekko » Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:10 am

Originally posted by RiFF:
Although P Manning will still be the 1st QB selected and will likely be drafted in the 1st round in many drafts again; this year, he'll actually prove worthy of that pick. Indy will have an appreciable drop in Defensive production this year which will necessitate Manning once again putting up HUGE numbers. I agree with the assessment of Brady and disagree with the assessment of A Smith. Seattle knew exactly what they were doing in letting Jackson go. He will be a big flop in SF, based on his deteriorating skills and A Smith vs Hasselbeck. With the loss of N Turner as OC,Smith will not progress and may very likely regress this year.
Based on the "experts" early projections I see the disappointments being Brees and V Young. Most seem to have Brees in the top 5 and Young in the top 10. Don't see either of them ending there.
Again, based on the "experts" early rankings I believe J Delhomme is well undervalued along with M Schaub. Most have both ranked below the top 20 QB's. I see both of them being worthy starters in 14 team leagues. Manning will have a great year again. He is a consistent scorer and there is value in consistency. You just need to get him at the right spot.

As for A.Smith, my guess is that the offense will be more friendly this year. While I believe DJax won't be as productive as he's been, he is still an upgrade for Smith. Again, a full year from V.Davis will also help Smith.

Gordon Gekko

Let's talk QB's

Post by Gordon Gekko » Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:31 am

Originally posted by BillyWaz:
I agree Brady could be huge this year, as there is NO QUESTION that his receiving core is better than it ever has been. However, the "devil's advocate" in me feels the defense is also much improved, which means they could be playing ahead A LOT which obviously takes away the need to pass so much.

The patriots have had a great defense for YEARS. Brady has thrown up good years every season. This year he finally has the wr's to take him to the next level

pizzatyme

Let's talk QB's

Post by pizzatyme » Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:57 am

I have Brady #3
Brees #7
Young #18
A. Smith #12

Barring a meltdown from Moss, Brady should be golden. I don't trust Maroney to carry the load the whole year.
2008- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic.
2009- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic or Primetime.