Tony Windis, WCOFF Champion, Joins The NFFC!!

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:32 am

We're VERY PROUD to welcome Tony Windis, the 2010 WCOFF champion to the NFFC family. We're proud of all of our past champions here at the NFFC, but we're also very proud of any industry champion who decides to test his skills here at the NFFC. Tony has chosen to play with the NFFC this year and will be live in Las Vegas on Sept. 9-10 to play in TWO NFFC Primetime Main Events.

WELCOME ABOARD CHAMP!! And we will celebrate your accomplishment live in Las Vegas with other drafters at the Bellagio. You might have to supply your own trophy, but we'll provide the accolades. And the Corona's, if you don't mind. :D

More information to come about this signup and about Tony's great 2010 season soon. I just wanted to officially welcome Tony to the NFFC family first and give everyone a chance to see where the WCOFF champ is going to play in September. If you think you have what it takes to take down the champ, then join us in the Primetime in 2011. Good luck all.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

chris schinker

Post by chris schinker » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:40 am

Now this is one player I do not want to wish good luck to.....But I will....welcome and good luck!!!!

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:45 am

It's great to have Tony on board. I think he's going to like it here.

Tony is one of several national champions playing in one or both of our Main Events this year. Here's the roll call:

Tony Windis - 2010 WCOFF champion

Tom Carbone - 2010 NFFC Classic champion

Chad Schroeder - 2010 NFFC Primetime champions

Steve Luzzi - 2009 NFFC Classic champion

Bill Strickler - 2009 NFFC Primetime champion

Tom Yates - 2008 NFFC Classic champion

Josh Ferenc - 2005 NFFC Classic champion

Mark Srebro - 2004 NFFC Classic champion

Jason Emma - 2004 NFFC Classic champion
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

DoubleG

Post by DoubleG » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:45 am

BANG!! Welcome Tony

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:00 am

Great to see the competition in this contest just get stronger, just what we donators needed.

Welcome Tony. You've joined a great contest and a better community.

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:36 am

Tony Windis - the 2010 WCOFF champion with former Brewer, Geoff Jenkins.

[ August 19, 2011, 04:50 PM: Message edited by: Tom Kessenich ]
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:53 am

Tony has jumped into the Friday, Sept. 9th live Las Vegas Primetime League at the Bellagio at 2 pm PT and the Saturday, Sept. 10th, 6 pm Live Las Vegas Primetime League. He might move from Friday to the 10 am Primetime depending on how everything shakes out in the industry, but he's definitely taking two teams and trying to become the champion of a second straight 12-team national contest. Good luck CHAMP!!!

Look for a Q&A with Tony tonight. He's very excited to be talking about fantasy football again and reliving last year's accomplishments. But he also knows it's a new season and a lot of work needs to be done to feel this way again next year. Good luck all.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:48 am

We're glad to welcome Tony Windis to the NFFC with this Q&A:

This was your second year in the WCOFF. Did you win your league title and the overall title?

I lost my first game last year and then won 10 in a row to finish 10-1. After I won my league title, I was No. 1 in the Championship Round with three weeks to go. I think going into Week 16 I was down about 17 points. My birthday was the day after Christmas, which was the final Sunday and we had family up for the holidays. I had a dilemma to make because Adrian Peterson was banged up and I didn't know if he was going to play. Then on Sunday they got 20+ inches of snow and the game was postponed to Tuesday. I thought, of all things, I can't believe this is happening. But I had Toby Gehrhart and I was covered. I was 12 points down heading into the Monday Night Game and my opponent had Marques Colston and I still had Vick and Peterson. Colston was held to like two catches for 25 yards and right then I knew I could win this thing. Sure enough in the Tuesday night game I was down 17 and by the half I was down by 10, but with four minutes to go Vick ran the ball in for a touchdown and AP came right back and got some more points. The funny thing is, Greg, is that I never watched that game. I was watching a movie with my girlfriend and I was just checking my iPhone for updates and she was checking her iPhone. That’s what I do. It was incredible. It’s still surreal to think that I won that after so many great players had participated.

Describe your emotions knowing that you beat some of the best players in the country.

You know, I’ve participated in fantasy football for 22 years playing in local leagues and it was overwhelming to think that I won this. When people came over and congratulated me, it really did feel like I climbed the mountain and now I can just enjoy the sport. But I’ll be back this year and I look forward to competing. I’ll do the best I can and hopefully I can win again.

Can you describe your mixed emotions about not being able to compete in the WCOFF this year?

It’s been a bittersweet experience. I’ll do whatever I can to help WCOFF and keep it going. It’s been good to me. But at the same time I want to play fantasy football and I’m not sure what’s really going on there now. I’ve joined the NFFC and I look forward to playing there and winning. I do feel like this off-season I should have been talking about winning this title and everything fantasy football and instead we were talking about all of this other stuff. I don’t feel like I was able to celebrate this title like I should have. I haven’t been able to enjoy it as much.

Who were your top players that carried your team last year?

I had the second pick and took Adrian Peterson. I wanted Chris Johnson and I thought about taking Ray Rice there. In the second round I took Arian Foster, who I really wanted. Then I took Jermichael Finley, who I thought was going to be special. I still was going to take another TE later and I grabbed Jason Witten in the sixth round. People thought I was crazy doing that, but it turned out to be key with so many injuries to the TE position. Other guys who were key included Pierre Garcon, Santonio Holmes, and of course Michael Vick, who I got in Week 2 for $221. I got him before the Eagles made him their fulltime starter. I’m very humble, I got some breaks, but you need to get breaks to win these things.

Do you have any players you are targeting this year?

I do like Jimmy Graham, the tight end from New Orleans. I do like TEs still. I like to see where I’m going to draft, then target 5 or 6 players, and build around that. But the thing that wins these things are the guys you get from Round 8 on. If you can find those sleepers late, you can win it.

The NFFC has Third Round Reversal and KDS, which is new to you. With that do you have any favored preference right now on where to draft?

Right now I kind of like the sixth pick, being in the middle. Maybe 6,7,5,4 and be in the middle. After I get past the first four rounds, the draft is going to fall into place after that. But you have to get off to a fast start and those early picks are key.

Do you think you can win a second national title this year?

I’m not thinking I’m better than anyone else because there are a lot of great players out there, but you have to have some luck and you have to have the right players. Last year I had a lot of injuries and you don’t normally win a national title with so many injuries. You need that perfect season. So now do I think I can do it? Yeah. But do I realize that it might not happen again? Yeah. You try to be realistic, but obviously you have to believe you can win it or why fight? I’ll give it the best I can and I know I’ll have a lot of fun this year.

Do you have any advice to all of the other players who have to make tough decisions about the upcoming fantasy football season?

I think we should all stick together, continue playing and maybe this will make the industry stronger. I still will do whatever I can to help them. I’m a fantasy player and I want to do whatever I can to help all of the players in that league. I hope they work it out. I’ll do whatever it takes. But hey, we’re all just players and we want to play. This is the fun time of the year and it’s a great sport. It’s only going to get bigger and bigger. So I hope everyone joins me and plays again this year. I’m ready and I’m here to win.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:03 pm

I forgot to mention that Tony is from Laramie, Wyoming. Not known as the fantasy sports mecca of the world, but pretty damn cool nonetheless.

It reminds me of Lindy Hinkelman of Greencreek, Idaho, who won $241,300 in the NFBC in 2009 and who is now dominating the NFBC again this year and could win $100,000 in the Main Event and the overall Auction Championship. Again, Idaho isn't known as the fantasy baseball capital of the world, but it works.

Hmmm, with all of these obscure towns producing fantasy champions, I wonder if someone from someplace as obscure as Iola, Wisconsin should enter one of these contests. ;) Tom, it's time for us to enter and win!!! :D

The Franchise

Post by The Franchise » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:19 pm

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
I forgot to mention that Tony is from Laramie, Wyoming. Not known as the fantasy sports mecca of the world, but pretty damn cool nonetheless.

It reminds me of Lindy Hinkelman of Greencreek, Idaho, who won $241,300 in the NFBC in 2009 and who is now dominating the NFBC again this year and could win $100,000 in the Main Event and the overall Auction Championship. Again, Idaho isn't known as the fantasy baseball capital of the world, but it works.

Hmmm, with all of these obscure towns producing fantasy champions, I wonder if someone from someplace as obscure as Iola, Wisconsin should enter one of these contests. ;) Tom, it's time for us to enter and win!!! :D I don't think Donald Driver will be able to carry you guys to that championship...
Winning isn't everything, but the will to win is.