USA Today SW's 2008 First Round Picks

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:00 am

I picked up USA Today Sports Weekly yesterday and noticed that Matt Pitzer picked out his first round picks for 2008. There's no right or wrong answer this early in the year and I applaud Matt for getting the discussion started, but he has four non-RBs in the first round, which likely won't happen in the NFFC or WCOFF.

Anyway, here's his first round projections:

1. LaDainian Tomlinson
2. Adrian Peterson
3. Brian Westbrook
4. Tom Brady
5. Joseph Addai
6. Randy Moss
7. Peyton Manning
8. Steven Jackson
9. Terrell Owens
10. Larry Johnson
11. Reggie Wayne
12. Brandon Jacobs

Others: Marion Barber and Frank Gore.

Okay, what do you think of the list and what would your Top 14 be for the NFFC in 2008? Let's see some thoughts and Tom will add his Top 14 today as well.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:25 am

Breaking away from baseball for a bit here's an off-the-cuff ranking. Keep in mind a lot of factors still have to be determined. For example, will Chester Taylor still be in Minnesota; will Earnest Graham be the main guy in Tampa Bay and will Marion Barber share time again in 2008?

But for the sake of discussion, here's an early look at my rankings as of Jan. 18.

1. LaDainian Tomlinson
2. Steven Jackson
3. Brian Westbrook
4. Adrian Peterson
5. Joseph Addai
6. Ryan Grant
7. Frank Gore
8. Larry Johnson
9. Willis McGahee
10. Earnest Graham
11. Randy Moss
12. Marshawn Lynch
13. Terrell Owens
14. Tom Brady

[ January 18, 2008, 01:03 PM: Message edited by: Tom Kessenich ]
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

sportsbettingman

Post by sportsbettingman » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:46 am

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
I picked up USA Today Sports Weekly yesterday and noticed that Matt Pitzer picked out his first round picks for 2008. There's no right or wrong answer this early in the year and I applaud Matt for getting the discussion started, but he has four non-RBs in the first round, which likely won't happen in the NFFC or WCOFF.

1. LaDainian Tomlinson
2. Adrian Peterson
3. Brian Westbrook
4. Tom Brady
5. Joseph Addai
6. Randy Moss
7. Peyton Manning
8. Steven Jackson
9. Terrell Owens
10. Larry Johnson
11. Reggie Wayne
12. Brandon Jacobs

Okay, what do you think of the list and what would your Top 14 be for the NFFC in 2008? Let's see some thoughts and Tom will add his Top 14 today as well. 1. LaDainian Tomlinson (Safe and solid, but is he showing some aging?)
2. Adrian Peterson (Too high for me. Seems for every BOOM game, he had a BUST game.)
3. Brian Westbrook (The QB situation worries me.)
4. Tom Brady (Odds are poor of a repeat of 2007)
5. Joseph Addai (I think he could be #2...reliable weekly)
6. Randy Moss (See Tom Brady...but damn they both looked good.)
7. Peyton Manning (Safe...but the SI criteria is not the same scoring)
8. Steven Jackson (Looks to have value this late.)
9. Terrell Owens (I can see a changing of the guard at WR in 2008...with the younger ones catching/passing the older ones.)
10. Larry Johnson (I like risk...but he is almost TOO risky.)
11. Reggie Wayne (Week in / week out production.)
12. Brandon Jacobs (My sleeper to be top 5 in '08)

~Lance
"The first man what makes a move can count amongst 'is treasure a ball from this pistol."

~Long John Silver

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:51 am

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:

1. LaDainian Tomlinson
2. Adrian Peterson
3. Brian Westbrook
4. Tom Brady
5. Joseph Addai
6. Randy Moss
7. Peyton Manning
8. Steven Jackson
9. Terrell Owens
10. Larry Johnson
11. Reggie Wayne
12. Brandon Jacobs

Okay, what do you think of the list and what would your Top 14 be for the NFFC in 2008? Let's see some thoughts and Tom will add his Top 14 today as well. My EARLY take.....

1. LaDainian Tomlinson (will probably be #1 in MOST leagues, but doubt he will be a consensus #1 like last year)

2. Adrian Peterson (he isn't my #2, but can't argue. A lot depends on Chester Taylor)

3. Brian Westbrook (Seems right on here, dare I say even at #2 :eek: )

4. Tom Brady (I won't take him at #4, but I guarantee he goes here in MANY NFFC leagues- maybe even higher! :eek: )

5. Joseph Addai (Seems about right- talk about a goalline back/Dungy possibly retiring could hurt value)

6. Randy Moss (Tough to take a WR this early- especially if he disappears the next 2, like he did against Jax, but he will most likely be top 10)

7. Peyton Manning (Really can't see him this high, and is more like a 2nd rounder IMO)

8. Steven Jackson (If I had the 8th pick, and he fell to me, I would run around the draft table screaming like I won the lottery. No way he is lower than 4 on my board)

9. Terrell Owens (I see him more in the 12-14 range, but should be the #2 WR off the board)

10. Larry Johnson (New offensive coordinator??? This seems about where he will go though)

11. Reggie Wayne (Can't argue with this here, but could see him sliding just a pick or two)

12. Brandon Jacobs (I don't understand how he could be a first rounder??? With Bradshaw emerging, Ward on the roster, and the fact that he has a difficult time staying healthy..... he won't be in my first round!) Classic "what have you done for me lately knee jerk reaction".

A lot will change, but that is how I see it. Gore and Barber (especially if Julius is gone)seem like logical choices to slide into the first round.

[ January 18, 2008, 11:52 AM: Message edited by: BillyWaz ]

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:04 am

I forgot about LJ - sorry man - and replaced Barber with him. I think people might be sleeping on Ryan Grant.

Unfortunately, Greg and I did when we had a chance to grab him in WCOFF. :(
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

sportsbettingman

Post by sportsbettingman » Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:10 am

...and don't forget GRANT, baby!!!

Seems to be a slight trend toward going back to the "WORKHORSE" RB.

Many teams may have been in "flux"...looking for a back who can carry the load.

Guys like Grant, Barber, and Portis seemed to separate themselves from their 2-back role competition this season.

I'd guess most teams would like a main back to carry the load...but there just don't seem to be as many around...with even NCAA teams enjoying the split load it seems.

Brandon Jacobs averaged 5 yards per carry in the regular season, cracking the 1000 yards mark in 11 games. 5 YPC is ELITE status. I see Bradshaw as a complementary back.

~Lance
"The first man what makes a move can count amongst 'is treasure a ball from this pistol."

~Long John Silver

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:20 am

Sounds like Barber will be sharing time again next season even if he's the starter. That makes him riskier although his massive TD potential certainly gives him RB1 potential in my opinion.

Grant is a lock Top 10 pick in my opinion. Only LT was better in the second half of this season and as long as Favre returns there's no reason to think the Packers' offense will suffer a decline. Grant has proven to be a terrific RB1. He's legit.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

KOTRAX

Post by KOTRAX » Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:46 am

WITH ALL THIS TALK ABOUT RANKINGS WHEN ARE THE FIRST SATELLITE DRAFTS GOING TO TAKE PLACE IN '08? JUNE? JULY? OR HOPEFULLY SOONER. :D

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:12 am

Originally posted by KOTRAX:
WITH ALL THIS TALK ABOUT RANKINGS WHEN ARE THE FIRST SATELLITE DRAFTS GOING TO TAKE PLACE IN '08? JUNE? JULY? OR HOPEFULLY SOONER. :D I like the attitude, Ormond, I like it!! ;) We'll have our first magazine draft in early May, so be ready. You're an NFFC champ, so be ready to sign up for the first one.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

KOTRAX

Post by KOTRAX » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:37 am

YOU DON'T HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT THAT. I'M IN!! SHOULD BE A LOT OF FUN. JUST LIKE 2007 WAS.