My Week 6 Vibes

Tom Kessenich

My Week 6 Vibes

Post by Tom Kessenich » Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:00 am

I've been around for awhile. I'm not gonna lie to you people. I've seen and experienced a great many things in fantasy football over the years.

I've seen Steve Young go No. 1 in drafts. I've seen O.J. Anderson and D.J. Dozier play pivotal roles in championship seasons due to their short-yardage skills. I've seen championships won with stellar QBs and nothing else; with poor RBs but standout WRs and with great depth overall.

I've seen it all my friends. But I can't remember ever seeing a season like this one.

Ever.

Injuries. Busts. Uneven performances. For whatever reason, the top players in 2007 are being hit hard and their performances are suffering. But no one is suffering more than the fantasy owners who drafted them.

In WCOFF, Greg and I drafted Larry Johnson, Steve Smith, Javon Walker and Carson Palmer in the first four rounds. We were understandably pumped given the talent of those four players and their potential for this season.

Five weeks later, we’re 2-3 because LJ has been a dog; Smith’s QB is a dog and Walker has been hurt for 60 percent of the season. We're hardly alone and I realize that. As I wrote last week, this is becoming a Season of Attrition. It may not be whose team really is the best but whose team can stay somewhat healthy and get some type of meaningful production from anyone consistently.

This has been, without a doubt, the most maddening fantasy football season I have ever experienced. And I'm old so that ought to tell you something.

So now let's take a look back at Week 5 and a look ahead to Week 6.

For all those folks who questioned why Greg and I sat LJ in favor of Brian Leonard in Week 4, take a look at their numbers in Week 5. THAT'S what we thought was going to happen. Turns out it was a week too late and Leonard was on our bench and LJ back in the starting lineup.

Damn, this game sure can be fun sometimes.

That said, I'm telling you to start LJ with confidence this week. He faces the Bengals. If that isn't the cure-all for what ails a top-tier offensive player I don't know what is.

Tom Brady really can throw touchdowns to someone other than Randy Moss. Imagine that.

Don't look now but maybe - just maybe - there might be some value to be mined from the Green Bay backfield. DeShawn Wynn (he was on our bench in WCOFF too) and Vernand Morency looked like potential RB3 options in the loss to the Bears.

I'll say it again - the Denver Broncos are in big trouble if Javon Walker isn't healthy. And Jay Cutler's fantasy value is getting flushed down the toilet in the process.

Kurt Warner, Top 10 fantasy QB. Yea, I can see that happening.

I've seen Pop Warner kids display better form tackling than what was displayed on Plaxico Burress' long touchdown catch.

Najeh Davenport? Najeh Davenport? Are you freaking kidding me?

The Chargers had a good answer for the question about whether Travis Henry or Selvin Young was the right Denver RB to start in Week 5. The answer? Neither.

Through five weeks, Drew Brees and Larry Johnson have combined for one total touchdown. One. Yea, I'm pretty sure we all saw that coming.

So much for the bye helping Sean Payton get the Saints back on track.

It’s time to put an end to the stupid rule of trying to ice a kicker by calling a timeout right before the snap. It’s stupid and pointless and even if I wasn’t a Nick Folk owner I’d be thrilled he stuck it to the Bills by making the game-winning FG on Monday Night.

Here’s another rule that needs to be changed: The Packers challenged the spot of a third-down play by the Bears on Sunday night. The officials went to replay and ruled the spot was incorrect and the ball should be moved back (though the officials still blew the spot even after going to replay – but that’s another story). They then charged the Packers a timeout since the play still resulted in a first down for the Bears. So the bottom line? The Packers won the challenge and proved the officials were incorrect in their initial ruling and still lost a timeout because of it.

Good rule.

Najeh Davenport? Seriously. Najeh Davenport?

Don’t look now but Willis McGahee is very quietly having a Top 10 fantasy season.

But that Ravens’ offense is nothing short of horrible overall. Steve McNair looks washed up. I can’t believe I’m even saying this but the Ravens need to get Kyle Boller in the lineup now.

And if that’s not a strong endorsement of how far McNair’s game has fallen I don’t know what is.

Julius Jones isn’t having a good season by any means but I still think he can play and I think the Cowboys really need to find ways to get him the ball in space. He has been exceptional as a receiver this season and he should be getting 2-3 receptions a game. It’s hard to take issue with a team off to a 5-0 start but I do think this is something the Cowboys should consider.

Back to the Ravens, thanks to their inept offensive performance they missed on covering my Stone Cold Lock Pick of the Week by ½ point against the Niners. At 2-3 and needing to get back on the winning track I’m targeting the Bears, who are six-point favorites at home against the Vikings. Tavaris Jackson’s return is great news for the Chicago defense given his ineptness so look for Chicago to cover with ease against a Vikings team who has only one offensive star (Adrian Peterson) and he spent almost as much time returning kickoffs in his last game as he did touching the ball on offense.

Gotta love that good NFL coaching.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

GOD Loves You

My Week 6 Vibes

Post by GOD Loves You » Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:14 am

Originally posted by Tom Kessenich:

Sarcasm?
FAITH IS NOT BELIEVING THAT GOD CAN....
IT IS KNOWING THAT HE WILL

GOD Loves You

My Week 6 Vibes

Post by GOD Loves You » Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:14 am

Originally posted by Tom Kessenich:
Don’t look now but Willis McGahee is very quietly having a Top 10 fantasy season.

Somewhere the Fi$her's are smiling.
FAITH IS NOT BELIEVING THAT GOD CAN....
IT IS KNOWING THAT HE WILL

King of Queens

My Week 6 Vibes

Post by King of Queens » Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:17 am

Good stuff as always, Tom, though you seem a little bitter. Tough season for just about everyone.

sportsbettingman

My Week 6 Vibes

Post by sportsbettingman » Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:21 am

Makes my morning each Wednesday, Tommy!

~Lance
"The first man what makes a move can count amongst 'is treasure a ball from this pistol."

~Long John Silver

Tom Kessenich

My Week 6 Vibes

Post by Tom Kessenich » Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:23 am

Originally posted by GOD Loves You:
quote:Originally posted by Tom Kessenich:

Sarcasm?
[/QUOTE]Nope. In this crazy season I could see it. He definitely has the weapons.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Tom Kessenich

My Week 6 Vibes

Post by Tom Kessenich » Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:23 am

Originally posted by King of Queens:
Good stuff as always, Tom, though you seem a little bitter. That doesn't sound like me. :D
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

KOTRAX

My Week 6 Vibes

Post by KOTRAX » Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:25 am

Originally posted by GOD Loves You:
quote:Originally posted by Tom Kessenich:

Somewhere the Fi$her's are smiling.
[/QUOTE]THE SAD THING ABOUT THIS IS THAT MCGAHEE HAS NO RUSHING TD'S AND 1 MEAGER RECEIVING TD. FOR SOMEONE TO BE IN THE TOP 10 RB'S WITH ONE TD SHOWS HOW BAD THIS SEASON REALLY IS. IF YOU WOULD HAVE TOLD ME MCGAGEE WOULD BE IN THE TOP 10 RB'S AFTER WEEK 5 WITH ONE TD I WOULDN'T HAVE BELIEVED IT AND IT IS NOT LIKE HE IS 10 HE IS 6 IN OUR FORMAT. UNREAL.

Raiders

My Week 6 Vibes

Post by Raiders » Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:25 am

Nice read Tom.

LJ should score 3 times this week.
If Julius Jones does anything, anything all the injuries I have would mean nothing.
Not sure He's worth a start this week? Not looking for a answer to this, just thinking out loud.

But again everyone has injuries or will have by season end. It's the ones that can get thru them that are the better FF players. I make no excuses. I will be there come season end. :D

Tom Kessenich

My Week 6 Vibes

Post by Tom Kessenich » Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:38 am

I don't think you can start Jones unless you're absolutely stuck until he shows something. But here's an example of what I was talking about - in the Monday night game Romo had Jones 5-7 yards in front of him wide open. Instead of throwing it to him, he decided to run and fumbled. I can't figure out why the Cowboys are so afraid to throw it to Jones given how well he's done every time he's caught a pass this season and given how good he is in space. Like I said, it's hard to criticize a 5-0 team but I don't think they're making good use of Jones' talent.

As far as McGahee, yes it's a reflection of the other RBs with regard to his Top 10 standing. However, he has been rock solid for yardage every week and he's been involved and productive in the passing game. He has value and in a year with so much uncertainty his consistency has huge value at the RB position.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich