Favre Returning?

Tom Kessenich

Favre Returning?

Post by Tom Kessenich » Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:47 am

Mort is reporting on ESPN that Favre has talked to the Packers about returning. Whether the Packers want him back is the question.

Discuss.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

KOTRAX

Favre Returning?

Post by KOTRAX » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:15 am

HOW CAN THEY NOT WANT HIM BACK? THE ONLY REASON I WOULDN'T WANT HIM BACK IS BECAUSE OF THE MIND-CHANGING.

YOU EITHER WANT TO PLAY OR YOU DON'T. NOW MY POTENTIAL STARTING Q.B. HAS BEEN WORKING HARD TRYING TO TAKE THE TEAM TO FUTURE.

THEN HOW MANY MORE YEARS AM I GOING TO HAVE OUT OF FAVRE?

IS HE GOING TO WANT TO RETIRE NEXT YEAR AND THEN MAY CHANGE HIS MIND AGAIN BECAUSE HE DOESN'T WANT TO WALK AWAY?

AT THIS POINT EITHER WAY CAN BE DEBATED. PERSONALLY I HOPE HE DOESN'T COMEBACK BECAUSE I HAVE ROGERS AND BROHM IN JULES GAMERS DC LEAGUE. :D :D

[ July 02, 2008, 04:16 PM: Message edited by: KOTRAX ]

Tom Kessenich

Favre Returning?

Post by Tom Kessenich » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:18 am

My personal belief - and this is based on nothing but my own speculation - is Thompson wants him gone so he can give his guy (Rodgers) the job. I think McCarthy, wisely in my opinion, wants Favre to return because he understands that the team's chances to win are much greater with Favre than with someone else at QB.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

RiFF

Favre Returning?

Post by RiFF » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:21 am

The interesting perspective that Mortensen gave, which is probably less than a million to one shot, is the Packers rebuffing his desire to return and giving him his release. Then he signs on with the Vikings, who need a quality QB, and on the night he was scheduled to be honored by the Packers; he comes into Lambeau as a Viking!! :eek:

KOTRAX

Favre Returning?

Post by KOTRAX » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:25 am

ONE THING I DO BELIEVE THAT IF BRETT FAVRE DOES RETURN IT WILL BE AS A PACKER.

I DON'T THINK HE WILL PLAY FOR ANOTHER TEAM BUT YOU NEVER KNOW.

Diesel

Favre Returning?

Post by Diesel » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:38 am

No way this will ever happen.

In this month's Sports Illustrated Issue, Rodgers was asked if he thinks he will get the love Favre has gotten in the past...Rodgers said “I don’t feel I need to sell myself to the fans,” Rodgers responded. “They need to get on board now or keep their mouths shut.”

This is a direct quote from SI...So what I'm thinking here is if Favre comes back this year and Rodgers is forced to ride the pine again, he will NEVER want to play for the Pack again. Rodgers has retracted that statement and said he may have been a bit too hasty with that remark, but that tells me how anxious he's been for YEARS now, waiting for his turn. If he doesn't get it, he won't be a happy cheesehead.
*Ranked #1 Average Fantasy Football Player in the Nation 2004-2013

"Fantasy sports are all about LUCK. Except when I win."

Tom Kessenich

Favre Returning?

Post by Tom Kessenich » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:41 am

Thompson would be run out of Green Bay if he released Favre. I don't care how good the Packers were last season and how good they might be going forward, running arguably the greatest player in team history out of town while he can still play at a high level would be asinine. I think the Packers are hoping this is just a typical case of a retired player having pangs of wanting to return the first summer he has to face without playing and that this will all go away soon enough.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

RiFF

Favre Returning?

Post by RiFF » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:57 am

Originally posted by Tom Kessenich:
I think the Packers are hoping this is just a typical case of a retired player having pangs of wanting to return the first summer he has to face without playing and that this will all go away soon enough. Of course that is what they want to happen. But waht if he sends in his papers that he is returning? What then? He obviously is the most popular Packers player in this era. And as Diesel pointed out; Rodgers has already endeared himself to the fans. And of course, what about the locker room. I have to believe those guys have spent the last few months getting on the Rodgers bandwagon. This would have to be terribly disruptive, at least initially, as some will be pleased to see Favre return; while others may be tiring of this annual sideshow.

Captain Hook

Favre Returning?

Post by Captain Hook » Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:08 am

If Favre sends the Packers a letter asking to be re-instated, they must either do that or release him.

If they release him, the Bears and Vikings can bid against each other til the cows come home...or maybe Atlanta decides to bring him in for a year to teach Ryan.

If they re-instate him Rodgers immediately demands a trade....but while Thompson doesn't want that, McCarthy, the coaches and the fans want Favre to play, so the Pack trades Rodgers and has Favre groom Brohm.

Meanwhile those of us in dynasty leagues who have already released him will crucify him on the dart boards

Shrink Attack

Favre Returning?

Post by Shrink Attack » Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:38 am

This could get ugly. Reports are coming out that Favre directly inquired about coming back, was rebuffed by management, he then demanded his release (Green Bay holds his rights for two more years), and was rebuffed again.

If Favre makes a public case that he wants to return, the Packer front office will be in a terrible bind.

I can remember thinking how unfathomable it would be to ever see Joe Montana in anything other than a 49er uniform, but there he was one day, wearing Kansas City red.
"Deserve" ain't got nothin' to do with it
---Clint Eastwood in The Unforgiven