Jim Feist and Rototimes: Not a good thing

nnoy

Post by nnoy » Wed Sep 22, 2004 10:19 am

I was horrified today to see Jim Feist.com so predominantly displayed on the rototimes.com homepage. This is certainly not a direction the fantasy football industry should be moving toward.

I was enrolled at UNLV back in 1997 and answered an advertisement to work for Feist’s service. I spent a few hours doing an orientation (it was nothing more than telemarketing.) At the end of the orientation we made actual calls to solicit business. We each were given a sheet with the day’s “winners.” My sheet had the Indians over the Royals as the 5-star LOCK. I made my call, gave away the free winner and was asked to return the next day. On the way out I passed a desk with another “winners” sheet on it. Sure enough the 5-star LOCK of the day was the Royals over the Indians. Needless to say I did not return for a 2nd day of employment.

This guy is nothing more than a sham artist that pitches both sides of events to degenerate gamblers. Any legitimate fantasy league service that associates itself with him must either be really desperate for advertising revenue or not know how big of a fraud he is.

lichtman

Post by lichtman » Wed Sep 22, 2004 10:36 am

It is pure criminal genius. Start with 1000 "clients". Split the picks 50/50 and by the end of the third week, you have 125 people who think you have gone 3 for 3 on your locks of the week.

And then they take out the credit cards.

BTW, NNOY -- congrats on Ohio State's fine showing in today Wall Street Journal MBA rankings (and no, I'm not being obnoxious).
Hello. My name is Lee Scoresby. I come from Texas, like flying hot-air balloons, being eaten by talking polar bears and fantasy football.

Walla Walla

Post by Walla Walla » Wed Sep 22, 2004 2:37 pm

Jim Feist and the rest that sell picks do so for one reason. They can't make it betting thier own picks. They're a few out there making a living picking winners. You won't find them selling thier picks on the internet however. They pick and chose. They don't have to bet every week. They wait until the odds are good and take thier shot. A guy like Jim Feist and the rest are going to drag down fantasy sports when its all said and done. The moment fantasy sports gets lumped together with gambling than the industry will die.

dgamblnman

Post by dgamblnman » Wed Sep 22, 2004 3:24 pm

most services are run this way, they play both sides.

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Wed Sep 22, 2004 3:29 pm

I'm surprised your comments are limited to Rototimes, Nathan. There is no question that the NFL owes much of its popularity to gambling. From the weekly office pools to the Super Bowl boxes, the general public has a keen interest in the scores of professional football games. I would imagine that a large percentage of fantasy football players are involved with gambling on one level or another. Is it really a surprise that gambling service companies are targeting this group? Feist may be a despicable human being, but he is obviously intelligent enough to know that this is where the money is.

If you don't believe me, just ask Greg and Tom--anyone notice a certain promotional partner giving away money, beer and playing cards at the NFFC events this year? Hey, I had a few beers at the NY auction compliments of the guys in the black polo shirts, so I'm not complaining. Then again, my team in the auction league is less than stellar, so...

As for fantasy sports and gambling being "lumped together," well, it's a pretty fine line already. If you reside in a certain state, you cannot own a team due to that state's gambling laws. Also, if you win the NFFC, you'll get taxed as if you just won the $100,000 slots tournament at your local Native American joint.