Message Board Etiquette Rules

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:47 am

Our announcement on Monday provides me the perfect opportunity to create a clean slate on these message boards. For six years we've had a free-for-all where I've allowed adults to freely interact on our boards and police themselves. That will stop in a way I should have intervened years ago.

Our NFBC boards are as enjoyable as any in the fantasy baseball space. We do not have any problems there, but I will provide Message Board Etiquette guidelines there soon as well.

I've asked John Zaleski to provide me with Message Board Etiquette guidelines that other sites like the Anaheim Ducks have used to set concrete ground rules for behavior. I'm not trying to take the fun out of these boards, but I think we all agree the personal attacks, the harassing posts that follow up each post someone makes, the personal feuds that 99 percent of the members don't care for, etc., have to stop on the NFFC boards. And they have, for the most part, in 2009.

I never wanted anyone to leave the NFFC because of our Message Boards. Geez, folks agree we run a first-rate event and our rules are the fairest in play for serious gamers, and yet folks are going to leave because of our Message Boards? I get it, but I'm done putting up with it then. It's time to take charge of that area...your area, that I've relied on all of you to police yourselves. Now I'll do it.

Right now we are just talking football on the boards and those members who have remained active have done a great job of keeping the content to football, football, football. Perry is leading a great thread on Mock Drafting as a group, and Tom is adding a new team preview every day for 32 straight days. We've also added columns that involve NFFC strategy and received feedback that we're doing too much to help the NFFC members. :D So I like the direction of our boards this year.

Some folks have stayed away because of past feuds and I totally understand that. Hell, there are plenty of other options out there and that's why we're going to nip this in the bud and be done with it. The Message Boards are the NFFC's BEST promotional vehicle and I'm no longer going to let ANYONE steer them other than me.

So again, I'll post these Etiquette Rules soon and everyone who posts here will at least understand the ramifications if anyone doesn't behave. I've never been one to kick anyone off the boards and I certainly would not censor someone without justification or actually not allow someone to join their contest over this, but message board privileges are just that: A privilege. And it's time to have a set barometer in place if anyone goes outside the lines.

I'll post the rules once I look them over from John, but mainly it's no more personal attacks other than regular fantasy football smack talking. No more personal feuds outside of good ol' fashioned smack talk. No stalking our members. And respect. Respect everyone here who are our members. If you can't do that, then I'll list first offense, second offense, and third offense guidelines and there will be no debate what those penalties are going to be.

Last night someone said our NFFC boards were "poisonous" and it came from someone who had poisoned the waters while he was here. Others have complained about other NFFC members while admitting that they could have acted better on our boards. I'm tired of the childish finger pointing and thus good ol' fashioned parenting will have to take over. We'll have the rules. They will be posted. And we'll all abide. Or the penalties take place.

Now let's keep the football content coming and pleeeeeeeeeease feel free to smack talk in a good way. That's what fantasy football is all about.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

pizzatyme

Post by pizzatyme » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:00 am

Thanks Greg! I like what footballguys.com follow as their golden rule...

"Don't **** in the pool" and "Be excellent to each other".

Pretty simple really and quite effective with proper monitoring.
2008- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic.
2009- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic or Primetime.

Raiders

Post by Raiders » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:11 am

Originally posted by Just Russ:

Pretty simple really and quite effective with proper monitoring. Disagree 100%. footballguys.com message board is a joke. I use to read the message board, until it got out of hand. So bad ex. Russ. I'll stop here, Russ if you want better ex. feel free to call him.

Back to this message boards. Sorry to say, long time coming. I stop visiting these board for over 3 months last year. As well as others have. I as most know am very active on these boards, and I hope that lasts until I can't type anymore.

Thanks Greg! I was hoping this was the huge news Post, I can't wait.

John

[ August 07, 2009, 11:11 AM: Message edited by: Raiders ]

Coltsfan

Post by Coltsfan » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:14 am

Greg,

I think the boards have been drastically improved this year. The only thing that has been missing coming through the spring was discussion. There were sometimes days that would go by and the only posts were on the slow draft and slow auction. As I see it right now these are healthy boards.

Wayne

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:32 am

Originally posted by Coltsfan:
Greg,

I think the boards have been drastically improved this year. The only thing that has been missing coming through the spring was discussion. There were sometimes days that would go by and the only posts were on the slow draft and slow auction. As I see it right now these are healthy boards.

Wayne Thanks Wayne. Content is slow in the spring, but we'll see what we can do about that next year. Tom and I are so knee deep in putting out all of the magazines we do during that time that posting content really doesn't happen until we start going to press in May. But honestly I think we've done our best to add content, columns, thoughts, opinions, etc., since late May.

The football talk is great here now and I've talked to just about everyone I felt I need to talk to about this matter and everyone seems to agree with me and have signed on to behave going forward. I do not see a SINGLE problem. The fact that some folks are saying they didn't like the tone last year and may not return because of that is discouraging. But instead of whining about it, I have to do something about it. I am. And if folks still decide to play elsewhere after knowing how we've built this contest through the last six years, then there's nothing I can do about it except keep improving the boards. And I will.

We should be talking about the FAAB deadline during the bye weeks. I look forward to that discussion for sure.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

pizzatyme

Post by pizzatyme » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:37 am

Originally posted by Raiders:
quote:Originally posted by Just Russ:

Pretty simple really and quite effective with proper monitoring. Disagree 100%. footballguys.com message board is a joke. I use to read the message board, until it got out of hand. So bad ex. Russ. I'll stop here, Russ if you want better ex. feel free to call him.

Back to this message boards. Sorry to say, long time coming. I stop visiting these board for over 3 months last year. As well as others have. I as most know am very active on these boards, and I hope that lasts until I can't type anymore.

Thanks Greg! I was hoping this was the huge news Post, I can't wait.

John
[/QUOTE]John, when is the last time you visited their boards? Once they instituted these "rules" it has been an excellent board. Not to mention one of the most successful internet message boards ever. Not sure what you saw before, but I'll take your word for it.

Raiders

Post by Raiders » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:41 am

In March these boards were dead, but other message boards have been dead and are still dead.

This message board has been alot better, and I'm sure will stay that way.

Greg when do you need the KDS's by?

John

pizzatyme

Post by pizzatyme » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:46 am

Greg, just a thought, but I'd like to see more "paid" contributors on the board. Maybe offer a slight reduction to their entry fees or an occasional free low-end satellite league, etc.

Guys like Coltsfan, Riff, BWaz, Route C, KOTRAX, and a few others would be excellent choices if they'd be willing IMO.

Raiders

Post by Raiders » Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:04 am

Originally posted by Just Russ:
Greg, just a thought, but I'd like to see more "paid" contributors on the board. Maybe offer a slight reduction to their entry fees or an occasional free low-end satellite league, etc.

Guys like Coltsfan, Riff, BWaz, Route C, KOTRAX, and a few others would be excellent choices if they'd be willing IMO. Russ,

What a kiss up, everyone of those guys are drafting in ChiTown. :rolleyes:

Again the message boards are 100 times better, the 2:00PM chats with Tom are great, all the other stuff as well. 32 teams in 32 days and all the drafts You(Greg) and Tom have done. You guys do your part on these boards. Now I hope the rest will keep in check.

John