A Second Waiver Wire

Uncle Rico

A Second Waiver Wire

Post by Uncle Rico » Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:52 pm

I wanted to start a new thread to post potential solutions to the problem caused by the game cancellation in Houston this weekend.

A number of different ideas have been floated. I'm sure they will all be debated to death.

My question here is simple: Are there any good reasons against adding a second weekend waiver wire to the process?

This would likely mean moving the first waiver run up to Thursday. A second run could then be made on Saturday.

Potential benefits:
We avoid the scenario of this weekend past from repeating itself.

Owners can make a last minute addition to cover the inevitable "Friday injury" or "Saturday downgrade" that crop up.

Potential problems:
Some might not want to devote the extra time into a second waiver period.

IMO that's the only downfall I see. I'm sure others will find more. Let's hear em!

pizzatyme

A Second Waiver Wire

Post by pizzatyme » Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:09 pm

I'd go for adding 2 more roster spots to the NFFC only. Or a 2nd waiver period of some sort. I don't like $1 pickups in the 2nd waiver period, however.

Ex. A player is doubtful and out for testing which comes back on Saturday to be season-ending news. Now someone picks up his replacement for $1. Not good IMO. I'd set the 2nd waiver minimum at $100 or more for any player.
2008- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic.
2009- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic or Primetime.

Uncle Rico

A Second Waiver Wire

Post by Uncle Rico » Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:22 pm

In your example, I would absolutely agree that $1 is ridiculous. However, since everyone has access to the info these days, is there any reason the free market price should not set the value of the player in question?

It's the old free-market economy lesson from Econ 101. A false ceiling ($100 minimum) can be just as damaging as a false floor ($1).

Hard heads

A Second Waiver Wire

Post by Hard heads » Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:23 pm

Easiest solution is to just make the waivers run Saturday night. One waiver wire is enough.

Uncle Rico

A Second Waiver Wire

Post by Uncle Rico » Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:26 pm

Hard heads -
That would actually work too.

pizzatyme

A Second Waiver Wire

Post by pizzatyme » Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:40 pm

I wouldn't mind Saturday night waivers.

I still think there needs to be a discussion around adding 2 roster spots for the NFFC.

People who do their homework should be rewarded and be able to pick up/hold onto someone that hasn't caught the mainstream eye.
2008- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic.
2009- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic or Primetime.

Ted's Cracked Head

A Second Waiver Wire

Post by Ted's Cracked Head » Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:41 pm

I would like them as late in the week as possible and think that Saturday night is reasonable from a players stand point but the closer you get to kickoff time the less time you have to correct any errors or issues and we all know they happen.
My mama says she loves me but she could be jiving too! BB King

Uncle Rico

A Second Waiver Wire

Post by Uncle Rico » Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:00 pm

Ted,
That might be the argument for 2 waivers.
The first run would be more for long-term roster management; picking up the latest/greatest players out there. The 2nd would cover the last minute replacements that need to be made for whatever reason.

RI WORKHORSE

A Second Waiver Wire

Post by RI WORKHORSE » Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:24 pm

As for this not happening again....You can go about it the easy way and not change the NFFC into a ESPN league and Just write something in the rules about Having a second round of pick up's if something like this happens again...And Just give Greg the Legal Power to make a call as he see's fit.

I have always liked the idea to add two more spots to the rosters. But the guys who pretend to watch football will say it waters down the Free agent Pool.
I.W
Johnny Frisella

Raiders

A Second Waiver Wire

Post by Raiders » Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:29 am

Originally posted by UltimateFFCheatsheets:
I'd go for adding 2 more roster spots to the NFFC only. Or a 2nd waiver period of some sort. I don't like $1 pickups in the 2nd waiver period, however.

Ex. A player is doubtful and out for testing which comes back on Saturday to be season-ending news. Now someone picks up his replacement for $1. Not good IMO. I'd set the 2nd waiver minimum at $100 or more for any player. Agree. Water down the water pool for who? The guys that have no clue. Why should a person who doesn't know about a player, be able to out bid you when that player goes off? I posted about adding 2 more roster spots last year. But is John from New Jersey going to be able to go 280 players deep? Could be wrong but I think there's a site out there that ranks players like
www.ultimatefantasyfootballcheatsheets.com. :D

John