Division Round Playoffs - Who Ya Got?

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:25 am

The Wild Card round is over, now it's time to bring on the big boys in each conference for their first playoff games. There are some great potential matchups coming up next weekend. Here's what I think:

NFC
Saints over 49ers
Packers over Giants

I've been harping on Alex Smith's inability to win a big game with his arm for weeks and I think this is where the point gets driven home once again. I just can't see Smith doing enough in the passing game to top the red-hot Drew Brees - even at home.

The Giants are one of the few teams that put up a real fight against Green Bay this season and I think they'll do so again. But ultimately, being at home and being healthy will prove to be the differences for the Packers.

AFC
Patriots over Broncos
Ravens over Texans

It's Brady-Tebow Redux. TV ratings set records the last time these two met and I expect plenty of eyes glued to this game as well. We know by now it's foolish to bet against Tim Tebow, but this is Tom Brady and even with a deplorable defense I think that's all the Pats need to beat the Broncos.

The Ravens-Texans is the one matchup I have little interest in. Baltimore beat Houston earlier this season with Matt Schaub and Andre Johnson both at 100%. I can't see the Texans winning in Baltimore with T.J. Yates.

Who do you guys like?
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

mattjb

Post by mattjb » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:09 am

Those look like the obvious winners Tom. I really want that Saints/Packers Championship game for several reasons I just have a bad feeling one of them gets knocked out.

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:12 am

Originally posted by mattjb:
Those look like the obvious winners Tom. Yup. No doubt about that. I think the 49ers, Giants and Broncos could all conceivably win but I don't think any of them are the superior team. I'd be positively shocked if Houston went into Baltimore and beat the Ravens. That's the one upset I can't see happening at all.

Which probably means it will.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

The Franchise

Post by The Franchise » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:16 am

Every road team has a shot in winning this week, but I actually think Houston and the Saints will be the only ones to pull it off.
Winning isn't everything, but the will to win is.

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:22 am

I don't have a lot of faith in Joe Flacco but the Ravens went unbeaten at home this season. Flacco threw for 305 yards and Ray Rice had 161 total yards in the matchup earlier this season. I don't know if Houston has enough juice to beat them on the road.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

jdoggmms

Post by jdoggmms » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:11 am

Niners over Saints 23-20
Broncos over Pats 34-28
Ravens over Texans 17-16
Pack over G men 30-24

TR

Post by TR » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:12 am

Originally posted by Tom Kessenich:
I don't have a lot of faith in Joe Flacco but the Ravens went unbeaten at home this season. Flacco threw for 305 yards and Ray Rice had 161 total yards in the matchup earlier this season. I don't know if Houston has enough juice to beat them on the road. If TJ Yates was able to win at baltimore, would he get as much hype and praise as Tebow has for beating Steelers at home?

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:16 am

Originally posted by TR:
quote:Originally posted by Tom Kessenich:
I don't have a lot of faith in Joe Flacco but the Ravens went unbeaten at home this season. Flacco threw for 305 yards and Ray Rice had 161 total yards in the matchup earlier this season. I don't know if Houston has enough juice to beat them on the road. If TJ Yates was able to win at baltimore, would he get as much hype and praise as Tebow has for beating Steelers at home? [/QUOTE]Probably not but he'll definitely get plenty of recognition as well he should. But check out my posts in the Tebow thread about TV ratings and Twitter. Tebow is a big NFL story whether people like it or not. So if he does the unexpected (as he did on Sunday against the defending conference champs) Tebow Mania is going to go on overdrive.

I don't deny that things get out of hand when it comes to all the attention focused on Tebow. But when you look at TV ratings and even Twitter it's pretty clear people are fascinated by this ongoing story. I'd say it's one of the best stories of the year in the NFL. As Wayne Ellis said in the Tebow thread last night, things are just more interesting when this guy is playing and they're real interesting when he's playing well and winning.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

BLACKHAND

Post by BLACKHAND » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:22 am

Originally posted by The Franchise:
Every road team has a shot in winning this week, but I actually think Houston and the Saints will be the only ones to pull it off. love the ravens this week. they are a different tam at home. i hope the saints win BUT when 8 out of ten pick the saints it makes me nervous. line opened at 3.5 saints. 49ers get no respect. maybe with peyton as qb and wayne follows him there next year they will be top dog
THIS IS THE BUSINESS WE HAVE CHOSEN

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:28 am

Early point spreads:

Date & Time Favorite Line Underdog Total
1/14 4:30 ET New Orleans -3.5 At San Francisco 47.5
1/14 8:00 ET At New England -13.5 Denver 50.5
1/15 1:00 ET At Baltimore -7.5 Houston 36
1/15 4:30 ET At Green Bay -8 NY Giants 52.5
Tom Kessenich