Mistakes made this season and RBs down the road

rkulaski

Post by rkulaski » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:06 pm

With the season 5 weeks gone, here are some mistakes I made on draft day:

I didn't think R Brown going in the 3rd round was worth it. The Fins lack of a passing game, Ricky Williams, and watching him look somewhat ordinary last year had me shying away. I loved this guy 2 years ago before he got hurt. He really looks great this season.

L Washington - I drafted him on 1 of my 2 online championship teams and have used him as rb2 most weeks (over D Brown) with AP as my rb1. I bought into all of the hype. Maybe Leon's production improves as the season moves along but 6th rd pick for him isn't looking like anything special.

G Jennings- So far, this hasn't worked at all as my 2nd rd pick on my other online championship team. I thought I had R White owners as company but then Sunday came and White had over 160 yds by halftime. Maybe Jennings will do that against the Lions on Sunday.

Sims Walker- I drafted him in the final round on one of my teams and dropped him after week 2 to grab Manningham. Over the course of the season, this will eventually haunt me. I knew better, I really did.

S Smith- I wanted him in every single league but waited too long in 3 of my 5 leagues. If you want someone, to heck with ADP, and go for it. I seem to remind myself of this message every year. Ugghh.

RBs down the road:

My "sleeper" rb that I drafted late was J Forsett. Someone told me he outplayed J Jones on Sunday. I didn't see the game and was wondering if anyone else did. Now 5 weeks into the season, I continue to hold onto Forsett but I'm just not seeing him getting a chance unless there is an injury.

Mendy - he deserves to keep the job over fwp but won't. I'm thinking 50/50 or 60/40 timeshare.

Other mistakes:
C Benson- I didn't believe in him at all
J Gage- I thought he was a great pick around rd 8 or 9. Not looking like it.
N Burleson- was not targeting him - 1 yr removed from acl surgery had me staying away
J Morgan- I really liked him. So far, bust, but he's showing signs of life after Sunday so maybe this pick works out.
A Gonzalez- wanted him in every league- hopefully he is a factor after the Colts' bye week but Peyton may spread the ball around too much for him to be worthy of the 4th rd pick he cost me.

Coltsfan

Post by Coltsfan » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:31 am

My mistakes this year:

I"m in 26 leagues this year (mostly DC's) and I did not take Steve Smith in a single league.

I took Hixon everywhere. :mad:

I was targeting Eddie Royal and got him in several leagues and fortunately missed him in several others.

Passed on MJD on 2 to take Forte. I put kds at 2 in the primetime and online so that I could get either MJD or AP and then passed on mjd with the injury right before the draft.

I swore I would never take Julius Jones again and I did.

I took Brady over Brees in a couple of DC's thinking he was the upside guy.

Wayne

renman

Post by renman » Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:29 am

My mistakes,

-I saw some things in a pre season game that made me think Zorn had tightened up the Redskins offense and Campbell. Due to this I got Cooley on 3 of my 4 important teams and even went as far as to draft S. Moss (who I have avoided for his entire career). I even took a flier on Malcom Floyd in several leagues. Cooley has been good, other than no targets last week. But clearly I was wrong about this offense.

-I zoned out in the 5th round of the primetime and misread my hand made cheat sheets. As the minute was ticking down on my turn, in a lazy manner, I just saw Ted Ginn's name and thought "there is no way this offense can be as ridiculous as last year, they must get this guy into the mix and more receptions..." Not only was I wrong.. not only could I have gotten him 2 rounds later, but I passed on Hines Ward, Roy Williams, S. Holmes, Hester and other guys who would have been much better picks.

-I loved Sims-Walker all off season.. then he got hurt in the pre season.. Troy Williamson makes a few plays, and I never drafted Sim-Walker.. then underbid for him in free agency.

-I got the NYG receiver mystery wrong taking Hixon.

-I was so high on the Seattle offense I ended up taking all of them and now find it hard to root for the team since I have Burleson, Housh, J. Jones, Carlson everywhere. So no matter who is producing, it means someone else isn't for another team.

-I touted Benson as being a better pick than Felix Jones on this very message board and even touted Miles Austin on the Fantasy Sports Mag and didn't get either of them.

Eddiejag

Post by Eddiejag » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:24 am

I too was all over Hixon and Nicks this year and got Steve Smith in one league a draftmasters in the 14th round.I did 13 drafts this year and took Hicks in 6 of them and still have him in all leagues.I still think he will have major value from here on out.I did draft Miles Austin in a couple leagues and picked him up in a couple leagues after week one just prospecting.I took Benson in one league my wcoff main and really didnt like the pick at the time.Renman you couldnt have been too keen on Benson as you passed on him in the 9th round for Julios Jones[ouch]in the Primetime league.I took the Carolina Steve Smith everywhere [7leagues] and still hoping for some big games.Pieere Thomas was any other i really wanted and got in 4 leagues.
Vincent Jackson was my must have wideout and took him before Housh,Cinco,Desean,Boldin and others.I paid 29 for him in the NY auction and took him the4th pick in the 3rd round in the NY Main.Other sleepers i was high on and had to get in at least three leagues or more.
Burelson 4
Celek 4
Barber
Hillis
Morris 5
Forsett
Romo 5
Ginn
Stewart
M Bennett
Harvin
NFBC (NY) auction league champion!
Bad(ass)Angels

He who steps to me in 2005, you better realize you dont have enough jive..... TURKEY!

da bears

Post by da bears » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:57 am

I took Burelson everywhere I could this year and have him on 60-70 % of my teams.

Yeah I also wouldn't mind see Foresett emerge and take over for Jones at Seattle at some point this season. I have rb problems on a few of my teams and sure could use him.

One rb that could put up some decent numbers in the second half of this season could be Jamaal Charles. Larry Johnson is clearly done and with KC running a no-huddle offense Charles could be a pretty decent option especially in PPR leagues that reward 1 point per reception for a rb.

[ October 14, 2009, 10:19 AM: Message edited by: da bears ]
Bauler Shot Caller

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:07 am

Originally posted by da bears:

One rb that could put up some decent numbers in the second half of this season could be Jamaal Charles. Larry Johnson is clearly done and with KC running a no-huddle offense Charles could be a pretty decent option especially in PPR leagues that reward 1 point per reception. Matt,

I have both of these guys, but Sir Lawrence is on "borrowed time", and he could be getting a pink slip VERY soon.

I agree about Charles, and currently have him in my starting lineup this week at the flex. If he was given 15 touches a game, I'm thinking there could be A LOT of good come out of that! :D

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:59 am

Originally posted by GK:
On most SNAKEsquads here is who was targeted this season and actually drafted as well;

1) The Good: Chris Johnson

...GK Not sure I would call him "good". If you take out his 50 point week, he is merely average, and certainly a disappointment to his/her owners......7,11,12,5

Then again, there are LOTS of underperformers this year in the 1st round/early 2nd round.

rkulaski

Post by rkulaski » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:43 pm

I was so high on Chris Johnson this year. If I would've been "stuck" picking 4th this year, he was the guy I wanted. Wow, he's been disappointing since he shredded the Texans. Seems like he's looking to run to the outside too much a la R Bush.

I too hope that J Charles or Leon get more of a chance this year.

I also thought J Campbell would take a step forward this year and D Thomas might emerge as another wr threat. Whew, what was I thinking.

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:24 pm

Mistakes - 26 drafts and the players chosen in them.

Good moves - not doing a 27th.

Glenn