Fantasy Playoffs confusing?

David U. Kennedy

Post by David U. Kennedy » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:55 am

I could use a little clarification on who makes playoffs and wins prizes for the online championship. Heres the scenario. My team is tied at 10 and 3 for first place overall record. Its third in overall points. team with second most points has lesser record at 7 and 5. Top team has same record as my team but most points.

Do i win $750 and play out last 3 weeks for 1500. or does team with second most points win $700. Im a little confused on this. any help would be appreciated.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:29 am

Originally posted by wahoo:
I could use a little clarification on who makes playoffs and wins prizes for the online championship. Heres the scenario. My team is tied at 10 and 3 for first place overall record. Its third in overall points. team with second most points has lesser record at 7 and 5. Top team has same record as my team but most points.

Do i win $750 and play out last 3 weeks for 1500. or does team with second most points win $700. Im a little confused on this. any help would be appreciated. 10-3 with more points wins h2h title and most points title to win $1500. Second most points wins $750. Unfortunately, you are third and do not win $. Sorry.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Soupdog

Post by Soupdog » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:18 pm

I literally had the same scenario as you and am out of playoffs too in Prime. I feel your pain

SS

Post by SS » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:37 pm

I also tied for first with the other team having more points than me so he won and I wish him the best of luck in the playoffs. I did not have enough total points to make the playoffs.

My contention to Greg was that if you tie for first and have lesser points you should still make the playoffs, even if you don't receive a prize. What do you guys think?

SS
2010 NFFC Classic Consolation Bracket 2nd Place

SS

Post by SS » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:37 pm

I also tied for first with the other team having more points than me so he won and I wish him the best of luck in the playoffs. I did not have enough total points to make the playoffs.

My contention to Greg was that if you tie for first and have lesser points you should still make the playoffs, even if you don't receive a prize. What do you guys think?

SS
2010 NFFC Classic Consolation Bracket 2nd Place

Rog

Post by Rog » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:13 pm

I started out 2-4 and won my last 7 in a row to finish 9-4,but 3 other teams were also 9-4. 2 of them got me in points(both I beat head to head)so I am the odd man out.I do like the system,I believe that total points is the best way to decide who has the better team.Good luck to those 2 teams.Now I can get ready for my slow draft.Good luck to all who still have something to play for.
thanks Greg and Tom it was a crazy season

BONGIZMO

Post by BONGIZMO » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:47 pm

IMO the NFFC really does reward strong teams fairly. H2H makes weekly battles fun but their adding a third place that gets into the dance, with the last two being points in the classic really does give ample opportunity.

Let's not forget that this is the ONLY contest which offers WC entries of 15% in the Classic, 10% in PT and Online.

Understand that I am on the outside looking in, finished 9-4 and fourth in points by 11 and change. However due to the NFFC's WC, it allowed for myself and others to still have a shot even though we were against the Overall point Scorer in the contest. My teams week 13 flameout sunk me to 55th but the fact is that only in the NFFC could I have still had a shot.

Greg and Tom are very fair and liberal with doling out opps for players to make the dance.
Never do card tricks for the people you play poker with.

Old School

Post by Old School » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:18 pm

Originally posted by BONGIZMO:
IMO the NFFC really does reward strong teams fairly. H2H makes weekly battles fun but their adding a third place that gets into the dance, with the last two being points in the classic really does give ample opportunity.

Let's not forget that this is the ONLY contest which offers WC entries of 15% in the Classic, 10% in PT and Online.

Understand that I am on the outside looking in, finished 9-4 and fourth in points by 11 and change. However due to the NFFC's WC, it allowed for myself and others to still have a shot even though we were against the Overall point Scorer in the contest. My teams week 13 flameout sunk me to 55th but the fact is that only in the NFFC could I have still had a shot.

Greg and Tom are very fair and liberal with doling out opps for players to make the dance. Well said Scott.

mikeybok

Post by mikeybok » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:00 am

Originally posted by SS:

SS The more teams you let into the finals the more you water down the accomplishment to get in. You could let in the top half the teams in and someone would argue they were not in the top half their league but still had a winning record and should get in anyway. Someone else would argue they were not in their leagues top half but they were in the tournament top half.

The line has to be drawn somewhere and I personally think it's too low as it is. A team can finish 6 - 7 and not be in the top 80 overall in points and still win the 100K (by being 3rd in league points in a low scoring league).

If it was up to me, I would let in the league H2H Champ, League High points winner (if it was a different team) and Top 6% in overall points and limit the teams in the playoffs to about 35 teams in what would be truly a "Tournament of Champions", instead of a "Tournament of the top 25-30%" as it is now. Or if you get your change, "The tournament of the top 40% or more?" ... but that is just one opinion.

Now let me ask you a question. How do you rationalize giving the 100K prize to a team that couldn't even make in as one of the top three teams in their own league. Overall 100K champion and 4th place in their league? Really?

UYT

[ December 08, 2010, 09:05 AM: Message edited by: Very Ugly Yellow Tomatoes ]
Hakuna Matata!

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:20 am

All good points, but just to be factual about 22-23% of all teams make the Championship Round. Three out of each league and a handful of Wild Card teams. Remember, in the past we only had 2 of 14 league teams making it to the Championship Round along with Wild Card teams, so about 15% made the Championship Round back then. That just didn't seem like enough and I'm glad with the setup we now have.

I agree with Scott that the Wild Card is a great carrot to have out there if you're in a very tough league. And trust me, it wasn't my idea. That idea, along with KDS, 3RR and many others came from our customers.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius