Top 10 Fantasy Football Competitors

ultimatefs

Post by ultimatefs » Wed Aug 25, 2004 7:01 pm

I can say without hesitation that the top 10 in my service would do very well against any 10 listed here. I can even name 20 that rarely lose.
Jules is a Dirt bag and makes my luck.

TamuScarecrow

Post by TamuScarecrow » Thu Aug 26, 2004 12:50 am

It's way too early in the history of fantasy football to be ranking players. Maybe 5-10 years from now when championships are being held between the different fantasy games if that could ever happen. Otherwise, it's strictly objective and unmeaningful. I don't care if I'm #1000 on the list as long as I win the $100,000.
2005 NY/CHI League Champ
2006 CHI#2 3rd Place
2006 Auction Reg Season Champ
2007 TAM#2 2nd Place
2007 Auction Reg Season Champ
2009 LV#5 League Champ
2010 Auction Reg Season Champ
2011 LV#3 2nd Place
2012 LV Classic League Champ

richieprimo

Post by richieprimo » Thu Aug 26, 2004 5:02 am

I'm relatively new to this, so I wouldn't feel qualified to brandish an opinion on the best fantasy player. What I DO know is who would be the Number One on a "running your mouth" list. THAT title would go hands down to Geeko, with no competition in sight. Oh...and he guarantees victory if he grabs the 1st overall selection. Lord, I hope he gets it.
Paying Top Dollar For All 12 and 10 cent Superhero Comics. Send PM...You may have money packed in your garage or attic.

therealdeal

Post by therealdeal » Thu Aug 26, 2004 5:48 am

Zaleski you might want to hesitate before saying that.
Anyway until we get all these people going in multiple high stakes contests, we won't be able to rate them very accurately nationwide.
Real players may have an excuse for not entering this or WCOFF, citing financial reasons, but let's be honest if they did well in their leagues last year they should have 500-1k to reinvest in Fantasy VIP's or FF Masters or even this one.
Low stakes leagues are a thing of the past.

therealdeal

Post by therealdeal » Thu Aug 26, 2004 5:49 am

Rick if you win the 100k, you'll be in the top 10, no doubt. IT won't take that many years, we've already had 2 years of Wcoff, and after this year a full year of other high stakes.
Low stakes leagues are a thing of the past.

TamuScarecrow

Post by TamuScarecrow » Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:00 am

Real Deal, I think you can say that about any sport or game as far as excuses go. Are the best poker players on TV? I doubt it. I know of a few who could give them a run for their money if it weren't for the wives and the kids in college. I'll refer back to my previous post that the money is more important to me than a ranking and my picture with Suzy Kolber.
2005 NY/CHI League Champ
2006 CHI#2 3rd Place
2006 Auction Reg Season Champ
2007 TAM#2 2nd Place
2007 Auction Reg Season Champ
2009 LV#5 League Champ
2010 Auction Reg Season Champ
2011 LV#3 2nd Place
2012 LV Classic League Champ

ultimatefs

Post by ultimatefs » Thu Aug 26, 2004 7:32 am

Real.... I've watched most of my guys play since 1990. They would stack up nicely.

But the more I think about it, it's impossible to ever have a true ranking. There's just too much luck and/or injuries, especially in football.

Every five years on average, ANY owner is going to have that season where everyone gets hurt and things just don't work out no matter how good you are.

and based on that, I'd need to see winning percentages after about 10-15 years assuming the rules never change from Day 1.

Having run 14-team leagues for 20 years, and having played in many expert leagues with 12 for 6 years, it takes much more skill to win a 14-team league.

12 team league - you CAN get by w/o knowing the depth as much at the draft, and the FA list will ALWAYS make up for your weakness. There is ALWAYS someone to pickup by just about every team in a 12-team league, every week. Not true in a 14-team league. It happens about 3-4 weeks per year.

14 team league - A.Boldin NEVER makes the FA list like he did in WCOFF last year. He'd easily go in the last 28 picks. 'nuf said.

[ August 26, 2004, 01:33 PM: Message edited by: John Zaleski ]

richieprimo

Post by richieprimo » Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:12 am

Excellent point, John. You hit it right on the nose, especially regarding luck and/or injuries. A few years back, in the later rounds, I drafted a rookie WR named Randy Moss, a back-up young RB named Fred Taylor, and an oft-injured WR named Isaac Bruce. I don't quite remember the exact year, but needless to say, Moss became Moss, Taylor replaced the injured starter (James Stewart, maybe?, and Bruce stayed healthy all year and helped the Rams to a Super Bowl title. The following year, all 3 players were drafted in the 1st 15 picks. Fantasy football is a skill game, but luck and injuries can be a mighty large factor in one's success.
Paying Top Dollar For All 12 and 10 cent Superhero Comics. Send PM...You may have money packed in your garage or attic.

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:48 am

Originally posted by John Zaleski:
I can say without hesitation that the top 10 in my service would do very well against any 10 listed here. I can even name 20 that rarely lose. Are they in the NFFC? Should be easy money for a group like that. Glad I'm not the only one with a mark on his back. :D
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?

ultimatefs

Post by ultimatefs » Thu Aug 26, 2004 11:05 am

GG, I'd only have a mark on my back if I had all 10 of them on a conf call during the draft.

Sitting here and watching hundreds of different strategies over two decades leads me to believe that there are 15-20 strategies that work in any fantasy game. That's what makes it so fun, and so useless to make any list in the long run.

If you're watching WSO Poker on ESPN each week, you're seeing many of the top players exit much earlier than their talent dictates. Just the way it goes some times.

There are two Murphy's Law's of Fantasy Sports.

1) The degree to which one talks about himself is the degree in which he'll get smacked in his next draft.

2) (On my commish side, mostly pertaining to baseball) The degree in which you protest a trade is the degree in which the trade will eventually work out to be the opposite of what you think.