Top 10 Fantasy Football Competitors

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Thu Aug 26, 2004 11:13 am

Originally posted by John Zaleski:
Sitting here and watching hundreds of different strategies over two decades leads me to believe that there are 15-20 strategies that work in any fantasy game. Do you know any good auction strategies?
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?

ultimatefs

Post by ultimatefs » Thu Aug 26, 2004 11:17 am

WCOFF last year was my first one. Rather enjoyed it.

We had a great league that went down to last week of season.

Got McCardell with last pick of draft for $1.

That was 12 teams. This is 14. What do you think the effect will be on that?
Jules is a Dirt bag and makes my luck.

Dyv

Post by Dyv » Thu Aug 26, 2004 12:34 pm

Huge, to say the least ;)

More money available in the league + more teams needing roster spots filled + same talent pool = higher bids on key players and a long, long draft.

D
The Wonderful thing about Dyv's is I'm the only one!

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Thu Aug 26, 2004 1:00 pm

Here's my top guys at each position (including top $ amount I'll pay). Think I'll get any of them.

Manning $29
Tomlinson $77
Moss $51
TGonzalez $23
Vanderjagt $6
Patriots $7
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?

ultimatefs

Post by ultimatefs » Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:19 pm

Vandy won several games for me last yr in the wcoff auction. I'll go 7. LOL.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Aug 27, 2004 12:46 am

Dyv, I actually think the Auction Leagues will cruise faster than the baseball ones. Now cruising might not be the right word, but I think we did the baseball ones in 4 hours. In football, you're talking about Priest Holmes being thrown out at $60 and getting a dozen or so bids to end it. Many of the top guys will be thrown out at reasonable price levels and be done quickly. Hell, the last half of the draft is $1-$3 players. We have good auctioneers in each city (Doug Drotman in New York who did baseball and Bruce Barnard in Las Vegas) and that will help. We'll see, but I think the Auction Leagues will move along okay.

Have fun. I agree, adding two more teams will be tough. In LABR, the 13-team NL Auction always seems tougher than the 12-team AL Auction just because of the extra spot and the extra money that is added to the pool. But at least there it's because of two extra MLB teams. Here it's the same 32 NFL teams to choose from. Good luck.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Fri Aug 27, 2004 2:01 am

Having run 14-team leagues for 20 years, and having played in many expert leagues with 12 for 6 years, it takes much more skill to win a 14-team league.

12 team league - you CAN get by w/o knowing the depth as much at the draft, and the FA list will ALWAYS make up for your weakness. There is ALWAYS someone to pickup by just about every team in a 12-team league, every week. Not true in a 14-team league. It happens about 3-4 weeks per year.

14 team league - A.Boldin NEVER makes the FA list like he did in WCOFF last year. He'd easily go in the last 28 picks. 'nuf said.I'm sorry, but I don't agree at all with this statement. Boldin was not chosen in 12-team leagues not because people did not know who he was, but rather because he was a rookie WR on one of the worst teams in all of the NFL. You say he would have been drafted in 14-team leagues. OK, fine--but was he drafted because an owner in a 14-team league was skilled or because you have to draft someone and it is silly to draft multiple kickers? My point is the owner who ended up with Boldin in a 14-team league was just as lucky, if not more so than the 12-team league owner who picked up Boldin after his breakout week.

richieprimo

Post by richieprimo » Fri Aug 27, 2004 4:30 am

Most people that claimed Boldin used the majority of their waiver allotment money. Where would they have wound up had he been a one-week-wonder? It's happened many, many times in the past.
Paying Top Dollar For All 12 and 10 cent Superhero Comics. Send PM...You may have money packed in your garage or attic.

ultimatefs

Post by ultimatefs » Fri Aug 27, 2004 5:06 am

Skip, decent point, but the guy that would have taken him in the 14 team league still had to make a decision over the other crappy players. And he was drafted in some of the 12 team leagues, so some did take a chance, which is an important strategy in a high stakes game, as opposed to taking 2nd TE's, K's, Def's.