Tell Us Your Draft Position & Thoughts!

TradeStar28

Post by TradeStar28 » Mon Aug 30, 2004 2:40 pm

Originally posted by Nag':
quote:Originally posted by Liquid:
I am referring to the general fantasy world consensus that a large majority of leagues will be picking one of the six RB's deemed sacred in slots #1 - 6, and 7-10 has 3 RB's, a WR and a QB to pull them through without really guessing too much. In picks #11-14, you maybe looking at some RB's that may or may not fair as good as a first round draft pick should. But then again that is why we play the games and one or even a few can do better than the sacred six RB's.Well, you're right about the consensus part. But the couple of VBD charts that I've seen (with NFFC scoring), have a few of those "sacred 6 RBs" you are talking about ranked OUTSIDE the first 6 picks, and some of the players that the "consensus" is drafting at the bottom of the first round are up at the top 6-7.

So maybe, just maybe it's the Picks 11-14 that have the advantage. Unless, of course, you listen to the consensus.
[/QUOTE]Who are your sleepers?
2012 - FI$HER - Flying High Again

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Mon Aug 30, 2004 2:40 pm

I got #14 in NYC #6. It may be tough to overcome, but I said this before MANY times.... the first 2 rounds are pretty much automatic, it is rounds 8-12 where someone is going to gamble on a backup or someone who hasn't produced and win this thing.

That being said, I would prefer a better draft position, but like someone else said....

"YOU DANCE WITH WHO BRUNG YA!"

lichtman

Post by lichtman » Mon Aug 30, 2004 2:42 pm

My proudest moment came in the 2002 LaMont Jordan Fantasy Football League drafting from the 14 spot. As liquid will surely remember, I drafted Priest HOlmes (last year was a fluke) and LT (lucky rookie) back to back 14 and 15.

Those picks overcame Terry Glenn in the 3rd round and led me to a Super Bowl victory.
Hello. My name is Lee Scoresby. I come from Texas, like flying hot-air balloons, being eaten by talking polar bears and fantasy football.

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Mon Aug 30, 2004 2:44 pm

Originally posted by Vega$ Gambler$:
Gordon, did I read this right??? you need to get "lucky", I thought it was all skill? Don't waorry though, I got #12, it should be fun... draft spot plays a role in it as well. i've always said that.
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?

TradeStar28

Post by TradeStar28 » Mon Aug 30, 2004 2:48 pm

Originally posted by Ico Jones:
My proudest moment came in the 2002 LaMont Jordan Fantasy Football League drafting from the 14 spot. As liquid will surely remember, I drafted Priest HOlmes (last year was a fluke) and LT (lucky rookie) back to back 14 and 15.

Those picks overcame Terry Glenn in the 3rd round and led me to a Super Bowl victory. I remember no such thing. I vaguely remember the Terry Glenn debacle though :D
2012 - FI$HER - Flying High Again

FatPerez

Post by FatPerez » Mon Aug 30, 2004 2:56 pm

My crime partner Pinchi Brian and I managed to swindle the 1st pick in the #3 Vegas League (Beautiful work Kessenich)!!! Not bad for our first high-stakes event. This is my first posting on the message boards, but rest assured, it will not be the last! That being said, I have been reading all of the postings since signing on to join the NFFC, and I'm ecstatic to see that Gordon Gekko is also in the #3 Vegas League. We'll be seeing you Gekko, and the rest of the chumps already laying claim to the prize money!!! So all you Vegas Leaguers watch out this weekend for Pinchi Brian and I. "Ponch & John" baby!!! You'll know us when you see us!

[ August 31, 2004, 03:18 AM: Message edited by: FatPerez ]
"To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women."- Conan the Cimmerian

TamuScarecrow

Post by TamuScarecrow » Mon Aug 30, 2004 3:06 pm

I was wondering who that was that was holding Tom's kids for ransom!!
2005 NY/CHI League Champ
2006 CHI#2 3rd Place
2006 Auction Reg Season Champ
2007 TAM#2 2nd Place
2007 Auction Reg Season Champ
2009 LV#5 League Champ
2010 Auction Reg Season Champ
2011 LV#3 2nd Place
2012 LV Classic League Champ

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Mon Aug 30, 2004 3:06 pm

Originally posted by FatPerez:
My crime partner Pinchi Brian and I managed to swindle the 1st pick in the #3 Vegas League Not bad for our first high-stakes event. At least a high stakes "vet" didn't get it. See ya in Vegas.
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?

Dyv

Post by Dyv » Mon Aug 30, 2004 3:48 pm

Originally posted by Gordon Gekko:
quote:Originally posted by Liquid:
Geck is an excellent drafter as witnessed by our NFFC mock. If anyone could pull a few rabbits out of their hat and build a winning team, it just may be Geck Good point. What to do, what to do...maybe gamble on Culpepper and hope he goes nuts this year? hmmm... I'm open to suggestions [/QUOTE]I think it's obvious what you do from the #13 slot - I will show you in the Gekko Invitational.

Dyv
The Wonderful thing about Dyv's is I'm the only one!

dgawron

Post by dgawron » Mon Aug 30, 2004 4:33 pm

OK, I have the 13th spot in my NY League #5. I am not happy about it either. The Top 12 leave the board, I take two of the next 4, and then I wait 28 picks. That's not good. Another negative is the need to predict runs. I need to do things like predict when the mid-round quarterback run will occur or perhaps the second-teir tight end run and make sure that the teir drop-off doesn't occur right before my pick. It makes for an extremely challenging draft.

Here is one example:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/w ... index.html

I loved having Pick #7. I believe in Jamal. However, I saw that middle group of quarterbacks slide and was certain to take one in Round 7. I thought it odd that Cross backed up his Vick with Favre in Round 6. Then, as expected, Pennington, Brooks, etc. went. What floored me was Bob Harris backing up Manning with Brady in Round 7. I was left without a QB. I later traded for Favre, but I'm just saying, with two additional teams in the NFFC and NO TRADING, those at the ends of the snake need to be acutely aware of tier drop-offs all afternoon or their seasons will end before they begin.
Dave Gawron
http://CREATiVESPORTS.com
Fantasy Sports Daily