Tell Us Your Draft Position & Thoughts!

renman

Post by renman » Mon Aug 30, 2004 5:24 pm

i am sick as a dog about drawing the #1 pick in new york league #5... please someone tell me the place where it says we can trade picks or that was just a "mock draft order"...

not a big fan of a huge part of my seasons success laying on the production and health of my first pick... i also do not like waiting all that time between picks and having to try to predict who might be available to me 28 picks at a time... i think there is a nice advantage to drawing a spot from 4-7 in draft order...

TradeStar28

Post by TradeStar28 » Mon Aug 30, 2004 5:52 pm

Originally posted by renman:
i am sick as a dog about drawing the #1 pick in new york league #5... please someone tell me the place where it says we can trade picks or that was just a "mock draft order"...

not a big fan of a huge part of my seasons success laying on the production and health of my first pick... i also do not like waiting all that time between picks and having to try to predict who might be available to me 28 picks at a time... i think there is a nice advantage to drawing a spot from 4-7 in draft order... Picking Priest or LT2 in the first round sure beats a sharp stick to the eye
2012 - FI$HER - Flying High Again

renman

Post by renman » Tue Aug 31, 2004 1:25 am

priest and charles way as my second pick is not pleasant either...lol

in all seriousness, the biggest reason i do not like being at one end of the draft or the other is the massive wait between picks and the loss of really trying to "project" what the teams ahead of you will take as it applies to whom i might pick... now, waiting 26 picks at a time, i will have to grab best available talent and really can not react to any position "runs" that might happen...

hey... it should be great fun

Dyv

Post by Dyv » Tue Aug 31, 2004 2:29 am

The good news about it is that there's nothing you can do about it anyway so do your best and have fun.

Dave
The Wonderful thing about Dyv's is I'm the only one!

ToddZ

Post by ToddZ » Tue Aug 31, 2004 2:54 am

If you do a mock draft and total up the useful points each draft position SHOULD get, you find the first pick totals the most points, the second pick the second most, etc., down to about the eight pick where while it doesn't even out, the relative differences between positions is very small. This is due to the HUGE difference in expected useful points between the first several players and the rest.

So the way I look at it those with the first few picks have the opportunity to have the best team if the players perform "as expected". So on that hand, they have an advantage. On the other hand, what the first several drafters do not have in the first round is the opportunity to take advantage of a "mistake" someone makes, pushing a better player down to your position. The deeper into the first round you draft, the more likely you are to be able to have a player fall to you that "should have" been drafted earlier.

I bet that if the owners with a double digit draft position were to make out a list, the VAST majority would end up with a player they had ranked higher than their draft position.

Of course, all this assumes the season goes (to borrow an NCAA hopps term) "chalk" which obviously it does not.

[ August 31, 2004, 08:55 AM: Message edited by: Todd Zola ]
"No one cares about your team but you."

renman

Post by renman » Tue Aug 31, 2004 12:18 pm

hey... the only problem i have with being in the #1 position is the massive amount of time to wait between picks.. and not being able to project who other teams might take.. thus giving me a chance to let someone slide that i think will get back to me.. i wont have that luxury this time...