boutrous11

The Top Tier TE Sans Dilemma

Post by boutrous11 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:27 pm

i'll take Gatesssssss

The Franchise

Post by The Franchise » Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:11 pm

Originally posted by The FF Maestro:
A simple Q for the FF masses and herds that follow the action here; if the vast majority are in unison in opining that it is extremely important to procure a stud QB for consistency and essentially guaranteed production at the position, well then why can't the same argument be made for the TE position as well?...

Sometimes, just sometimes, FF owners need to simply think out of the box a wee bit and defy conventional wisdom if they want to reach The Promised Land of FF Championships...all this chit-chat about how "deep the position is" and how it's "best to wait on your TE this year" is just that; nonsensical spewing from the lips of the majority of "experts" who all are collectively robotic in their viewpoint ...you can choose to either waddle like a string of ducks following closely behind each other in a military-like fashion OR you can choose to step out of that straight and rigid line and do some real individual, unconventional, creative but most importantly, accurate and productive zigging while the masses are too busy misguidedly zagging...

I've already gone on record here as stating that the TWO positions in which I feel there is most separation (aka largest drop-off) BETWEEN the tiers this FF season are the QB & TE positions...and by tiers, I am specifically referencing the 1st & 2nd tiers respectively... therefore, if an owner wants to truly achieve the most productive point differential amongst his fellow owner peers, and separate him/herself from the competition, especially this coming season, it is simply imperative to grab one of the top 5 or 6 top players at BOTH the QB position as well as the TE position respectively...

let's take a look at what I am referring to here in regards to the Top Tier TE's;

1) Antonio Gates
2) Dallas Clark
3) Jermichael Finley
4) Jason Witten
5) Vernon Davis

CONSISTENT SCORING (aka PRODUCTION!) week in and week out as you simply KNOW what you're getting - sound familiar? - as the EXACT SAME concept/strategy is applied to the QB position with the Top-Tiered QB's being;

1) Michael Vick
2) Aaron Rodgers
3) Handsome Tommy
4) Drew Brees
5) Peyton Manning
6) Philip Rivers

Can someone here please explain to me why my mini-rant up above doesn't even make a sliver of sense?... Oh Oh Oh I can............ Your top 3 all got hurt last year. If you followed your theory last year, you would have been out your 3rd Rd pick. Plus, I can name 5 TE's that could outscore all of those guys except Gates (IF he is healthy all year). It looks like we will have drastic difference of opinions this year when it comes to the TE position.

As far as the QB's go, I think it all depends what is there for RB and WR when you are going to select one of those guys above. Again, why reach if there are QB's that can be had later that can put up consistent numbers each week. 3 of which easily have the potential to out-produce 3 of the 6 QB's above.
Winning isn't everything, but the will to win is.

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:10 pm

You're right about the advantage you'd have at QB and TE, but what about the disadvantage of not getting your first WR until round 4? Or do you just expect to hit on all your WRs like the ones that go in the first two rounds?

In a league in which we start 3 WRs, I sure wouldn't want to do it. But that's not saying it can't work. ;)

[ August 14, 2011, 12:11 AM: Message edited by: Sandman62 ]

kentucky

Post by kentucky » Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:34 am

I agree with your strategy FFM (Glenn) and sometimes it can work out in a draft. I did a $60 14 team DC a few weeks ago, first five picks from the the 9 slot were

Calvin
Forte
Peyton
Witten
Stevie J

I was tickled pink with this start.
bill cleavenger
"BIG BLUE NATION" ... We don't rebuild, we reload!!!

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:03 am

Bill, as good a start as you had, it's not really the same strategy as FF is suggesting because you grabbed a stud WR first. He was suggesting 1) stud RB, 2) top QB, 3) top TE... THEN getting his 1st WR in round 4 (where you got Witten).

kentucky

Post by kentucky » Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:21 am

Originally posted by Sandman62:
Bill, as good a start as you had, it's not really the same strategy as FF is suggesting because you grabbed a stud WR first. He was suggesting 1) stud RB, 2) top QB, 3) top TE... THEN getting his 1st WR in round 4 (where you got Witten). Mike, maybe I need a clarification from Glenn, but I think he's saying take one of the top 5 QB's and top 5 TE's when you can because of the gap after them. Just be sure and get them. Personally, I agree with his ideas and you can get it done without "reaching", depending on the draft slot you have and the people you're drafting with.
bill cleavenger
"BIG BLUE NATION" ... We don't rebuild, we reload!!!

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:53 am

You may be right Bill. Maybe I was focusing on his other post in the Preseason Games Commentary Thread thread:
Originally posted by The FF Maestro:
Well then, what if I simply decide to get my stud RB in the 1st Round, Rogers & Finley in Rounds 2 & 3 and then load up on a bunch of what I believe to be undervalued wideouts (there are a ton of WR1's, WR2's & WR3's to be had there this season!) in Rounds 4 through 7 in addition to procuring a few very serviceable RB2's henceforth?...I don't pre-plan drafts as naturally I allow them to come to me BUT this could be a rather intriguing, and more importantly, winning strategy as well, eh? ... I agree in principle also with FF's premise - lock up the least volatile positions (QB/TE) early. And the data I posted last year supported that: YTD ADP & Actual Positional Ranks. However, as we all know, stats are AFTER the fact. So yes, it may be more predictable to figure out who the top-tier QBs and TEs are, but if you whiff at RB/WR, you'll be in trouble. If you hit on those though and you did lock up QB/TE early, you'll likely have a very strong contending team. But we've also seen teams like Tom Yates' a few years ago draft from the end and grab 3 WRs first and wait on QB/TE - and win $100k. So as the Snake likes to say, "There's more than one way to skin a mongoose".

I've felt for the past several years that RB was the least predictable position (then WR, TE and QB). I'm still not sure that last year wasn't a bit of an extreme case of uber-volatile WRs, with guys like Lloyd, Steve Johnson, Wallace, Mike Williams, TO, Bowe, etc. so drastically outperforming their ADPs??? :confused: Hence, my aversion to waiting til round 4 to start drafting them.

We shall soon find out if last year's out-of-nowhere WR crop was a new trend, or just an anomaly.