Chris Berman's Snide Remark About Fantasy

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:34 pm

One of the things that irks me about some of my colleagues in the media is the way they look down at fantasy sports. They treat it like an annoying fly they can't get rid of. Bob Costas, who I otherwise like quite a bit, is arguably the most guilty member of this society. The problem is these people don't seem to understand that fantasy players comprise a significant part of their viewing audience. Many of the things we see on TV today as it pertains to sports is directly tied to fantasy players.

You think there would be a scrolling list of statistical updates on Fox every Sunday if it wasn't for the huge influence of fantasy football? Yeah, right.

This brings me to Berman. At halftime tonight, our friend Nate Ravitz was providing some fantasy updates. When he was done, the segment cut back to Berman, who followed up Ravitz's report with "And now for real news."

:mad:

Dear Boomer - fantasy football may not be "real" football but you may want to ask yourself who in the heck is bothering to watch a preseason football game tonight on ESPN. Chances are, there are A LOT of fantasy players watching and outside of Seahawk and Charger fans, they may be the only people watching. So instead of spitting in their direction, perhaps you'd be better served understanding who your audience is and not being condescending toward a large segment of the people you are supposed to be broadcasting to.

Just a thought.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Hard heads

Post by Hard heads » Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:37 pm

Amen Rev TK!!!!

Old School

Post by Old School » Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:43 pm

Excellent point Tom. What"Boomer" does not realize is that fantasy football is a large reason why people have even tuned into Sportscenter for the past 10 years and a large reason why football is the #1 sport in popularity....It's certainly not hear "He...could....go...all...the...way...." for the 1 millionth time

Quahogs

Post by Quahogs » Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:51 pm

2 hours in above's presence and you'll be begging for a losing coin toss from below..

D-Day Heroes

Post by D-Day Heroes » Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:05 pm

QUOTE]Originally posted by Old School:
Excellent point Tom. What"Boomer" does not realize is that fantasy football is a large reason why people have even tuned into Sportscenter for the past 10 years and a large reason why football is the #1 sport in popularity....It's certainly not hear "He...could....go...all...the...way...." for the 1 millionth time [/quote]

OLD SCHOOL ...AMEN

I'm glad i'm not the only one that caught that. I can't stand him !! I have a hard time watching ESPN and he is the main reason. It was cool 20 years ago, but it is sickening now. He started this whole new generation of, THE " ITS ABOUT HOW MANY CUTE LINES CAN I COME UP WTH Sports Commenatator " HE AND HIS CREW MAKE ME PUKE. :mad:

WE NEED OLD SCHOOL SPORTS BROADCASTERS , THAT GAVE YOU THE NEWS, THE INSIDE SCOOP AND INSIGHT, THAT I CAN'T GET ON THE COMEDY CHANNEL.

I HAVE TO MUTE MOST GAMES NOW BECAUSE OF THESE GUYS. I KNOW THIS RANT SOUNDS A LITTLE MUCH, BUT IF YOU HAVE BEEN WATCHING THIS GARBAGE FOR AS LONG AS I HAVE, YOU KNOW WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT.

GIVE ME SUZY KOLBER, LINDA COHEN, AND BREMMER, THOSE GIRLS KEEP IT SERIOUS AND SMART. :cool:

GREG CAN WE GET SOME GUYS IN YOUR BUSSSINESS TO START ADDRESSING THIS ISSUE, BECAUSE ITS WAY PAST TIME !!!

WHEW, I FEEL BETTER GETTING THAT OFF MY CHEST :D
" When you are in any contest you should work as if there were - to the very last minute - a chance to lose it. "
- Dwight D. Eisenhower

D-Day Heroes

Post by D-Day Heroes » Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:13 pm

Originally posted by Tom Kessenich:
One of the things that irks me about some of my colleagues in the media is the way they look down at fantasy sports. They treat it like an annoying fly they can't get rid of. Bob Costas, who I otherwise like quite a bit, is arguably the most guilty member of this society. The problem is these people don't seem to understand that fantasy players comprise a significant part of their viewing audience. Many of the things we see on TV today as it pertains to sports is directly tied to fantasy players.

You think there would be a scrolling list of statistical updates on Fox every Sunday if it wasn't for the huge influence of fantasy football? Yeah, right.

This brings me to Berman. At halftime tonight, our friend Nate Ravitz was providing some fantasy updates. When he was done, the segment cut back to Berman, who followed up Ravitz's report with "And now for real news."

Dear Boomer - fantasy football may not be "real" football but you may want to ask yourself who in the heck is bothering to watch a preseason football game tonight on ESPN. Chances are, there are A LOT of fantasy players watching and outside of Seahawk and Charger fans, they may be the only people watching. So instead of spitting in their direction, perhaps you'd be better served understanding who your audience is and not being condescending toward a large segment of the people you are supposed to be broadcasting to.

Just a thought.
Tom , i didnt see your post, but it is so on the money, what can we do about this....SERIOUSLY !!!
" When you are in any contest you should work as if there were - to the very last minute - a chance to lose it. "
- Dwight D. Eisenhower

dobberlins

Post by dobberlins » Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:50 pm

Originally posted by Tom Kessenich:

Just a thought.
Oh sh*t...Tom, tell him to meet you out by the flag pole after class, I got your back! :D

Sorry, couldn't help that, but seriously, I feel the same way. How many people would watch some of the games they watch - or order MLB Extra Innings or the Football package, if not for the fantasy players? (Well, ok, the gamblers, but other than that, not many, I dare say.)

On second thought Tom, you tell that Fred Flinstone looking motherfudger to watch his azz!

Ted's Cracked Head

Post by Ted's Cracked Head » Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:35 pm

I agree totally and Q, those photos made me laugh out loud. Good stuff.
My mama says she loves me but she could be jiving too! BB King

sportsbettingman

Post by sportsbettingman » Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:32 pm

Q + photos = sweet!

Berman is great...let's not go off the deep end and rip one of the few greats left.

Maybe they know the educated FFB fan demands more than just fluff talk from their commentary...and they fear that???

~Lance
"The first man what makes a move can count amongst 'is treasure a ball from this pistol."

~Long John Silver