Having input in draft slot selection

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:21 am

Imagine having input on where your draft slot is?
For owners who like drafting from a particular slot (#1 or #2…or #14), this is a way you can help determine where you draft from.
For owners who say that they can win from any draft slot or that all draft slots are created equal, this is for you as well.

My time is limited this afternoon, so here is a brief summary…
Every team gets $1000 to use in FA bidding during the season. How about using some or all of that money to have a blind bidding process to determine draft slots!

1) Let’s say the draft is on Saturday, September 4th.
2) Signups to the NFFC main event go until Wednesday, August 25th
3) Tom picks the leagues on Thursday, August 26th and the leagues are posted on the website (note: draft slots are not determined yet)
4) From Thursday, August 26th – Sunday, August 29th teams can log onto the website and enter “bids” on draft slots in their specific league. Teams would bid whatever portion of the $1000 FA budget they want. For instance, since I’d like to be #1 or #2, I might bid $600 on draft slot #1 and $500 on draft slot 2. Whoever has the high bid for draft slot one would get it. If it were me, then the $600 is deducted from my FA balance. I would then begin the year with $400 available for FA’s.
5) Draft slots are determined on Sunday, August 29th and posted on website

Presumably the higher draft slots (1,2,3) would cost more money. This would indirectly benefit the owners at the lower end (12,13,14), as they would have more FA $ to spend. Sort of levels the playing field.

This brings a new level of excitement (and strategy) to the table. Opinions? Suggestions?
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Tue Sep 28, 2004 8:25 am

I like this idea A LOT Gecko! Truly one of the smartest things that has been spewed off of your keyboard! (not that other things were "useless" ;) :D )

JerseyPaul

Post by JerseyPaul » Tue Sep 28, 2004 8:44 am

Good grief. A truly innovative idea that would make this event a leader, a trend setter.

You have to give to the Gekko, he is creative. Although I have disagreed with him on many issues, a stream of ideas can do nothing but add interesting choices for us to consider.

As for this idea, I think it's great. Stats would have several months to make any programming changes necessary, and then would have a competitive edge on all the other services.

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Tue Sep 28, 2004 9:06 am

Originally posted by JerseyPaul:
A truly innovative idea that would make this event a leader, a trend setter.I proposed it to Greg a few months ago (wanted to keep it low key so competing events wouldn't get any ideas), but I haven't really heard back from him.

Originally posted by JerseyPaul:
As for this idea, I think it's great. Stats would have several months to make any programming changes necessary, and then would have a competitive edge on all the other services. Bingo! This can used used for other fantasy sports (baseball) as well.

[ September 28, 2004, 03:07 PM: Message edited by: Gordon Gekko ]

lichtman

Post by lichtman » Tue Sep 28, 2004 9:10 am

what if nobody bids on, say, pick #11?
Hello. My name is Lee Scoresby. I come from Texas, like flying hot-air balloons, being eaten by talking polar bears and fantasy football.

Route Collectors

Post by Route Collectors » Tue Sep 28, 2004 9:11 am

Gordon

That idea is so good that I am compelled to retract every cross word that I've ever said to you.

Seriously - I think that idea is pure genius!

I can't believe it, but I agree with your entire post. No more drafts where you sit there in disbelief as you watch the other owners let the top QB's and WR's fall to the Holmes/Tomlinson teams. Every owner would have the opportunity to be the beneficiary of the "RB Frenzy".

The added bonus of course is the week prior to the draft may seem to go a little faster.

Excellent job Mr.Gekko

lichtman

Post by lichtman » Tue Sep 28, 2004 9:14 am

I'm not sure why this is better and not just different. My biggest concern would be doing this for the first time. I never play a card game that I just learned for money, so I'm not sure I would want to pony up $1250 only to learn that my draft bidding strategy wasn't so hot.
Hello. My name is Lee Scoresby. I come from Texas, like flying hot-air balloons, being eaten by talking polar bears and fantasy football.

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Tue Sep 28, 2004 9:15 am

Originally posted by I Cojones:
what if nobody bids on, say, pick #11? this is all a work in progress, so if you have any ideas throw em out.

I was thinking...pass on pick 11 for now and continue on with pick 12 and so on. find out which slots haven't been bid on (probably only #13 or #14) and place the remaining owners randomly.

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Tue Sep 28, 2004 9:17 am

Originally posted by I Cojones:
I'm not sure why this is better and not just different. My biggest concern would be doing this for the first time. I never play a card game that I just learned for money, so I'm not sure I would want to pony up $1250 only to learn that my draft bidding strategy wasn't so hot. worst case, you get a lower-end pick, which you could get randomly in the current NFFC slot selection.

[ September 28, 2004, 03:18 PM: Message edited by: Gordon Gekko ]

Route Collectors

Post by Route Collectors » Tue Sep 28, 2004 9:17 am

Ico

If there were spots that no one bid on then there should be an equal # of teams without a spot. (Not trying to state the obvious - just leading into a blind draw for those left)
Part of the consequence of saving F/A $'s