NFFC Profile - Jared Danielsen

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:40 am

Jared Danielsen is a strong proponent of building the fantasy football team he wants, not the team the “experts” believe he should construct. He certainly proved that with one of his teams in the Primetime event this year.

To say Danielsen’s selection with the No. 1 overall pick in his draft was a bit … unconventional … would be an understatement. It was quite shocking and went so far away from the conventional norm for drafts this season it had everyone in his draft taken aback.

That's putting it mildly.

Five weeks into, that “unconventional” line of thinking is not only working out quite well, it has Danielsen sitting atop the entire event. With $100,000 on the line, that’s a terrific place to be.

“I didn’t plan on getting the No. 1 pick in that draft, but I decided to take the player I wanted the most and that was Calvin Johnson,” Danielsen said. “I don’t think anyone else would have done that. I saw at least 60 or 70 drafts this year and that was the only one he went before pick five. I’m very proud of that and hope he keeps it going.

“I did tell my group half-kidding before we drafted that I bet Calvin scores 20 touchdowns before Andre Johnson scores 10. I really hope that comes true.”

The Primetime event isn’t the only place Danielsen is making his mark with the season past the quarter pole. He also is sitting atop the overall standings in the Online Championship. With combined overall prizes of $160,000 and a $75,000 bonus for anyone who wins those two events at stake, that’s certainly a good place to be.

“Matthew Stafford, Calvin Johnson and Wes Welker have been the keys so far,” he said. “Or I guess I should say some very strong drafts.

“With the Primetime team I was pretty much forced into Fred Jackson. I’m usually not into running backs who are 30 and the coaches try to replace a few weeks before the season starts, but sometimes you just get lucky.”

That strong work in the draft has been critical in Danielsen’s estimation since he believes he’s been a little quick on the trigger when it comes to releasing a few players early in the season.

“I’ve cut Ryan Torain, Stevan Ridley and Victor Cruz all the week before they broke out,” he said. “It’s been a nightmare add/drop season so far. The draft is where I’ve gotten it done this year.”

Danielsen’s teams are by no means a solo effort. He has a group of people who are part of the team, all of whom are making valuable contributions to his standout starts this season.

“This is a group collaboration of my brother and best of friends,” Danielsen said. “My brother has always been an outside the box thinker who has helped our teams tremendously.

“This group of guys all tossed in what very little money we could afford when we were in college to give this high stakes football thing a try and ran it up big only to get robbed by The Fantasy Jungle. We might not even be playing today if the NFFC hadn't offered us a chance to play a few years ago. We had the most points in the Classic so we played the best record heads up and lost and we took the best record and most points in the Primetime and bam, our bankroll was back. We've really found our stride since then, can’t wait to see how this year finishes out.”

Danielsen got his start in fantasy football at a very young age. He first began playing when he was in seventh grade, thanks to his best friend’s dad who started running a league for Danielsen and his friends.

“We still run that league to this day,” Danielsen said. “We have even added a second league that is an auction league. We draft them both back-to-back on the same day and then have a pool party. It’s the best day of the year.”

The 28-year-old Danielsen already has one high-stakes title to his credit this year as he took home first place in a Double Play Live League in the National Fantasy Baseball Championship. Now he has his sights set on an even bigger prize in the NFFC.

“My team just needs to stay healthy to keep things going,” said Danielsen, who lives in Belleville, IL. “This has been the biggest injury season I’ve ever seen and I’ve been hit with plenty of them too.

“This is definitely the best start I’ve ever had (in a national contest). I try not to get too excited about it as I’ve been in the Top 5 in some national contests going into Week 16 four years running now only to collapse. Maybe this will finally be my year.”
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

bald is beautiful

Post by bald is beautiful » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:26 am

His Calvin pick did not take me aback in that draft. I was cheering him for having the cajones for doing what he wanted to do and what he told me ahead of time he was going to do.

Jared is having a tremendous year. Great job!

Coltsfan

Post by Coltsfan » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:30 am

I love seeing Jared have so much success this year! And taking Calvin first overall is awesome! The only time you take a player too soon is IF they would definitely come back to you with your next pick and we all know Calvin wasn't going anywhere near the end of the second. Nice job Jared!

Wayne

kentucky

Post by kentucky » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:16 pm

Great job Jared...11 more weeks to go... :D
bill cleavenger
"BIG BLUE NATION" ... We don't rebuild, we reload!!!

Toscano

Post by Toscano » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:54 pm

Cool thread.