Matthew Berry, C'mon Man!

Ry's Guys

Post by Ry's Guys » Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:15 am

I get so tired of these "experts" with their stats that they give out to people. No substance but it sounds good.

Today the illustrious Matthew Berry gave us this one...
Dallas defense at home has given up only 8 points a game to Quarterbacks. Ok sounds interesting...

The problem is they have played

Washington-Grossman
Detroit- Stafford
St. Louis- Feeley
Seattle- Jackson

I mean really that is just an empty stat. They were torched by Sanchez,Alex Smith, Brady and Vick on the road.
Put them against a good team and they aren't that impressive.
Pat Sorge

Quahogs

Post by Quahogs » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:13 am

Originally posted by Bullgod:
I get so tired of these "experts" with their stats that they give out to people. No substance but it sounds good.

Dallas defense at home has given up only 8 points a game to Quarterbacks. Ok sounds interesting...

Washington-Grossman
Detroit- Stafford
St. Louis- Feeley
Seattle- Jackson

I mean really that is just an empty stat. They were torched by Sanchez,Alex Smith, Brady and Vick on the road.
Put them against a good team and they aren't that impressive. Perry 1. Bullgod 0

Eddiejag

Post by Eddiejag » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:17 am

Originally posted by Bullgod:

Washington-Grossman
Detroit- Stafford
St. Louis- Feeley
Seattle- Jackson

Put them against a good team and they aren't that impressive. Wrong again Bullfrog unless you consider Buffalo another bad offense.HOW BOUT THEM COWBOYS.
NFBC (NY) auction league champion!
Bad(ass)Angels

He who steps to me in 2005, you better realize you dont have enough jive..... TURKEY!

Ry's Guys

Post by Ry's Guys » Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:35 pm

He may have been right but his logic was flawed. Par for this season.
Pat Sorge

joetreff

Post by joetreff » Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:43 am

Berry is a know-nothing blowhard. I've listened to the podcast for a while for the stats and Q&A but the content is awful, he was practically begging everyone to take Vick #1 overall all summer based on one thing "Vick was the #1 most owned player on ESPN playoff teams last year"

How bad do you have to be at your job not to realize the fallacy of Vick being a waiver pickup last year to taking him #1 overall he isn't going to provide the same value of making the playoffs?

This years playoff teams are going to own Graham and Gronkowski. Should we take them #1 overall next year TMR? lol, joke.

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:47 am

True, he's not always right. But YOU try making 250 start/sit recs per week and let's see your percentage. NONE of us are right much more than 50-60% of the time, IF we're lucky. :rolleyes:

joetreff

Post by joetreff » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:02 am

Never even heard his start/sit to be honest since it's based on ESPN 10 team leagues unless you mean the 4-5 recommendations they do from the mailbag or whatever they call it. I doubt an expert could beat a monkey flipping a coin if they had to choose between Jackie Battle and Maurice Morris, or Aaron Hernandez/ Brent Celek, etc...

I'm talking about 2010 he called it All In on Crabtree, he took Crabtree in every league, and grabbed Alex Smith as his #2 QB and went with the 49ers as his breakout team...This year is it is Vick #1 overall, he begged everyone to take Vick.

I'm just saying he is that perfect guy for ESPN 10-team free leagues where the participants worship him when he is right, or chalk it up to luck when wrong.

Has he ever won a league in a mid-stakes or high stakes contest? Even entered one? nope...

CoMoHusker

Post by CoMoHusker » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:12 am

I'm a big fan of Berry's simply for the fact that he's entertaining. I know that by listening to him, I'm going to hear his opinions and how he would make decisions with his team. I would never rely on his input or blame him as many of his followers do when he is wrong.

I don't know if he's ever won a high stakes event but his job involves fantasy football. I think he hit the jack pot there.

I totally understood his rationale for ranking Vick #1 overall before the season started. If you projected Vick's rushing stats over 16 games then Vick would have been a top 20 RB before he even threw a pass. When you add in his passing production, he was projected to put up astronomical numbers.

There is no way I would ever select a player like Vick #1 overall, especially with his injury track record. I howerver did agree with how Berry was ranking him and making an argurment for it based on projections.
Go Big Red!

joetreff

Post by joetreff » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:21 am

Agree, they move quickly from topic to topic and it's entertaining. Nate Ravitz played NFBC don't know if he played NFFC before. Fantasyfreakinfootball is better though especially for deep leagues.

The year Greg Rosenthal was in NYC drafting NFFC my 16 yr old cousin was with me and said "geez this is a tough contest" (I would've felt the same because I knew his targets and was targeting the same guys but he wasn't in my league so I didn't care) except Rosenthal finished nowhere near the top and as far as I know hasn't played NFFC since.

Everyone knows the main problem with most of the mock draft/expert leagues is that they aren't played for real money or played out past the draft at all in most cases...so none of the "experts" are held accountable.

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:27 am

Originally posted by felixflamingo:

The year Greg Rosenthal was in NYC drafting NFFC my 16 yr old cousin was with me and said "geez this is a tough contest" (I would've felt the same because I knew his targets and was targeting the same guys but he wasn't in my league so I didn't care) except Rosenthal finished nowhere near the top and as far as I know hasn't played NFFC since.

Gregg's played in the NFFC a few times. I believe his best finish was in 2009 when he finished fourth overall in the Consolation bracket. He wanted to play this year but he and his wife were expecting their first child at that time so he couldn't make it.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich