Chicago League 5 - pick 5

steve123

Post by steve123 » Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:50 am

I've been in this league for 3 years and I can't believe some of the players I got in this years draft. Check out our roster and let me know what you think (players are in exact draft order)

RB Steven Jackson, STL
RB Kevin Jones, DET
RB Frank Gore, SF
QB Tom Brady, NE
WR Joey Galloway, TB
WR Terry Glenn, DAL
TE Chris Cooley, WAS
TE Jason Witten, DAL
WR Eric Moulds, HOU
K Neil Rackers, ARZ
RB Verron Haynes, PIT
WR Eric Parker, SD
WR Michael Jenkins, ATL
RB Maurice Hicks, SF
QB Charlie Frye, CLE
QB Alex Smith, SF
DEF Miami Dolphins
RB Sammy Morris, MIA

We got 3 starting RBs. One of the top 3 QBs. The top K. Two solid receivers and two of the top 7 TE's. I like how things are looking ... how did everyone else do?

lichtman

Post by lichtman » Sun Sep 03, 2006 2:26 am

Lots an lots of question marks, honestly. In fact, none of your three RBs have any track record of consistency whatsoever.

2nd TE before 3rd WR? Who are you starting at WR3 and Flex?

Curb your enthusiasm.

[ September 03, 2006, 08:33 AM: Message edited by: Lee Scoresby ]
Hello. My name is Lee Scoresby. I come from Texas, like flying hot-air balloons, being eaten by talking polar bears and fantasy football.

Eddiejag

Post by Eddiejag » Sun Sep 03, 2006 2:54 am

I like your draft , im not big on kevin jones, but if he can play like he did in the 2nd half of his rookie season ,your going to have a good team.I actually like GORE , more than JONES , all decent recievers , but they are all in their 30's .I like Micheal Jenkins , he could be a nice sleeper.AND , 2 of the top 8 tight ends.
I could live with this team .
NFBC (NY) auction league champion!
Bad(ass)Angels

He who steps to me in 2005, you better realize you dont have enough jive..... TURKEY!

renman

Post by renman » Sun Sep 03, 2006 3:05 am

I think the WRs are questionable but the RB's are super strong for a 14 team NFFC league. I think galloway, moulds and Glenn are all at the point in their careers where they could fall off the map in a hurry. But it is easy to pick apart teams here without thinking about how a 14 team league works when you have experiences fantasy players drafting.

If you are going to get 3 good RB's you are going to have to take a hit somewhere else. If those older WRs produce for one more season and Kevin Jones ends up being what all the experts (me included) expected last season, this team can compete...

steve123

Post by steve123 » Sun Sep 03, 2006 4:58 am

I'm the co-manager of the team we're discussing, so the cockiness isn't going to be the same as my partner.

The comment about the consistency of the RBs is without merit. I like to pick my players based on what I think they will do this year, not what they did last year. You can't choose players based on previous year's stats - that's like buying a stock knowing it will go up because it did before. As with all investments, "past performance is no guarantee of future results."

I think Jackson has everything going for him this year - no Marshall Faulk, an entire offseason to heal, a new offense that establishes the run, and absolutely no talent to steal any important carries. Stephen Davis will never get on the field to snag any goal-line carries because Jackson could be one of the best in these situations. He's 6'2, 231! If he gets 25% more carries over last year, which is quite reasonable, you do the math on what those numbers end up being and how he ranks among the top RBs.

Kevin Jones is a frustrating one, especially considering the hype over his supposed break out last year. He now has a new offense to help his numbers, but then again, the new offense is run by Martz. When it comes down to it, the guy is a great player who has been stuck on a team with no direction. Now with an offensive genius running the show, he could put up poor man stats of a Marshall Faulk, which seems fine to me.

Frank Gore should have gone up on everyone's draft board after Barlow was traded, but I guess he didn't go up high enough. I think taking three unquestioned starting RBs in a 14 team league is part luck but pure genius. True, SF will be behind quite a bit so Gore's carries may not hit the 20-25 mark each game, but this guy is special.

Renman makes the best observation about taking a hit somewhere else if you go for three RBs. The hit we take with Galloway, Glenn, and Moulds - I can live with that.

stage4mtbk

Post by stage4mtbk » Sun Sep 03, 2006 5:09 am

OVER RATED!

lichtman

Post by lichtman » Sun Sep 03, 2006 5:16 am

Originally posted by Back to School:
As with all investments, "past performance is no guarantee of future results."

Actually, past performance of stocks and mutual funds is a terrific indicator of future performance. You can look it up.

Gore, Jackson and Jones have all put up good aggregate statistics over various periods of time, but the sample size is awfully small for one (Gore) and awfully lumpy for the others. Jones' 2004 and Jackson's 2005 look much better as a single line for the whole year than they do when you look game by game. I see a lot of huge games against defensive patsies and a lot of complete disappearances.

That being said, I would happily trade my 2nd RB (Chris Brown) for the jockstrap of any of your top 3.
Hello. My name is Lee Scoresby. I come from Texas, like flying hot-air balloons, being eaten by talking polar bears and fantasy football.

dobberlins

Post by dobberlins » Sun Sep 03, 2006 5:35 am

I think you guys walked away with 3 good RB's. It will definitely work to your advantage. I say this knowing I prefer RBs to WRs early. Your WRs are not great, but are no slouches either. I do agree with someone else who said they could fall off at any time due to their age, but you have to make some "leaps" here and there to have a chance. I'm not sure what the other people's team look like in your league, but I would think you have a top 3 league team here.

All this said, you must remember one thing...first year playing, so I could be wrong. :D

I think Gore will perform. I have Barlow as my RB3. He too will be used to run out the closk in several Jets wins! :eek: Kidding, but seriously, Gore will break 1,000 with 35-45 catches and 5-7 TDs...great RB3.

Good luck!

jdobies64

Post by jdobies64 » Sun Sep 03, 2006 5:45 am

I think your RB's are tremendous in a 14 team league, in my humble opinion, and love your TE's. The reason I think competing will be tough was because not only do you have three question marks at wideouts you have no depth there. I think maybe you should have taken more upside wide receivers(or longshots) rather than drafting Maurice Hicks, Sammy Morris and Alex Smith. Because you drafted those three excellent RB's and Brady, it afforded you the opportunity to fish for some "upside" receivers, in my humble opinion.

mkrucek

Post by mkrucek » Sun Sep 03, 2006 5:50 am

How many weeks can one play 3 rbs and 2 tes?
You'll be fine long as your pretty face holds out, then it's gonna get pretty cold out...