Flex Player

TOM ROSSI

Flex Player

Post by TOM ROSSI » Fri Sep 09, 2005 10:48 am

I know most of us prefer starting a 3rd RB, but not every team will have that luxury.

Does anyone think starting 4 WR's (most weeks) can bring you to the Promised Land?

Anyone think they have the WR's to do it?

King of Queens

Flex Player

Post by King of Queens » Fri Sep 09, 2005 1:45 pm

Originally posted by BIGT:
I know most of us prefer starting a 3rd RB, but not every team will have that luxury.

Does anyone think starting 4 WR's (most weeks) can bring you to the Promised Land?

Anyone think they have the WR's to do it? It's not too late to go with Cedric Benson in the flex position, Tom. :D

**Disclaimer: we are playing BIGT in our main event league this weekend.**

Diesel

Flex Player

Post by Diesel » Fri Sep 09, 2005 1:54 pm

I heard some guy in the NY Auction bought Gonzalez and Gates together for a total of $55 so that they could use one of them as a TE/FLEX every week. If you thought a WR at Flex was crazy, how about that one? Yes, I was that nut...If you can get 12-20 points from a flex, I don't think it matters what position you get it from...

I went with this crazy method because I see that Moss went for $48...Owens went for $38...I got Gonzalez for $30, and he had 100+ receptions last year....And I got Gates for $25, who had 14 TD's last year...I HAD to take both, and go with Gates as my flex...

[ September 09, 2005, 07:58 PM: Message edited by: Diesel ]
*Ranked #1 Average Fantasy Football Player in the Nation 2004-2013

"Fantasy sports are all about LUCK. Except when I win."

Ernol

Flex Player

Post by Ernol » Fri Sep 09, 2005 2:52 pm

Why is it that most prefer to use a RB3 in the flex position? No matter what round that RB3 is selected, because of the difference in pts per reception, the WR that could have been selected in that round will outscore the RB on average, and by quite a margin. You would think that because of this, a team that drafted 2 RB and 4 WR would outscore a team that drafted 3RB and 3WR on non-bye weeks. I can see the advantage of going RB3 early for bye purposes or to protect from injury since a RB is much harder to replace during the year. However, from the sounds of BigT’s post above, the decision to go RB in the flex appears to be independent of the bye/injury factor.

For example, a team drafting RB1, RB2, RB3, WR1 WR2, WR3 will not on average score more than a team going RB1, RB2, WR1+, WR1, WR2, WR3. The lineups are identical except that one team has Javon Walker while the other has lets say Ronnie Brown. Since WR1+ will likely outscore RB3, it becomes a better play to go WR at flex than RB (again, assuming we are not considering byes and injuries).

Is there something that I am missing here?

TradeStar28

Flex Player

Post by TradeStar28 » Fri Sep 09, 2005 2:55 pm

Originally posted by BIGT:

Anyone think they have the WR's to do it? Not only do we have 4 WR's to do it....but we have 5 !!

S. SMITH - D. BRANCH - JIMMY SMITH - PLAXICO BURRESS - ANTONIO BRYANT

And...you mentioned about 3 RB's worries? Not FI$HER.....

W. McGahee - L. Jordan - W. Dunn

U would figure our TE would suck ? Nah

R. McMichael

And if Randy is home bitch slapping his wife....we got J. Stevens behind him

:D
2012 - FI$HER - Flying High Again

Dyv

Flex Player

Post by Dyv » Fri Sep 09, 2005 3:22 pm

I think you're brilliant for putting in WR at your flex position. TE is pure genius.

Keep up the good work.

Dyv
The Wonderful thing about Dyv's is I'm the only one!

TOM ROSSI

Flex Player

Post by TOM ROSSI » Fri Sep 09, 2005 3:50 pm

Originally posted by King of Queens:
quote:Originally posted by BIGT:

Anyone think they have the WR's to do it? It's not too late to go with Cedric Benson in the flex position, Tom. :D

**Disclaimer: we are playing BIGT in our main event league this weekend.**
[/QUOTE]LOL—I’m going to have to wait on Benson. Good luck this week KOQ

Just curious if anyone thinks they can compete with a WR as their main Flex player in a 14 team league. Not every team will have a quality RB3 to start.

Ernol…I think RB as flex player is the preferred start by a wide margin

Ernol

Flex Player

Post by Ernol » Fri Sep 09, 2005 4:00 pm

BigT -

I realize that a RB as the flex is the preferred, but why exactly? I am new to this competition so I am hoping someone can explain. Is it just extra insurance in case the RB1 or RB2 goes down to injury or is on bye? I dont think its just pure points since per my example above, the WR in the 3rd round will outscore the RB in the 3rd round. Same with the 4th and 5th rounds as well.

The way it appears to me, going RB for the first 3 rounds, while giving some insurance in case you bust on one of the first two picks, just gives you a greater chance of busting on your 3rd pick as well.

BillyWaz

Flex Player

Post by BillyWaz » Fri Sep 09, 2005 4:07 pm

Originally posted by FI$HER:
quote:Originally posted by BIGT:

Anyone think they have the WR's to do it? Not only do we have 4 WR's to do it....but we have 5 !!

S. SMITH - D. BRANCH - JIMMY SMITH - PLAXICO BURRESS - ANTONIO BRYANT

And...you mentioned about 3 RB's worries? Not FI$HER.....

W. McGahee - L. Jordan - W. Dunn

U would figure our TE would suck ? Nah

R. McMichael

And if Randy is home bitch slapping his wife....we got J. Stevens behind him

:D
[/QUOTE]That looks pretty impressive!!! What, you have Drew Brees at QB??? Never mind! ;) :D :D

renman

Flex Player

Post by renman » Fri Sep 09, 2005 4:18 pm

say you had j.j arrington as your RB3... do you start him at FLEX over lower tier WR's like randel el, calico, r. williams (jax)?

interested in seeing if opinions differ...