LB - Jakes Snakes Wins Week 1 Prize

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:00 am

Congratulations to LB - Jakes Snakes in New York League 1 for finishing first in Week 1 of the NFFC with 179.65 points. The first-place finish was paced by Kerry Collins (30.45 points) and Steve Smith (27.8), who combined for nearly 58 points. Willie Parker (27.4) and Randy Moss (24) also stepped up with big weeks.

For finishing first last week, LB - Jakes Snakes wins a free retro jersey courtesy of Mitchell & Ness. To claim your prize, just go to www.mitchellandness.com and pick out your prize. Then contact me by e-mail ([email protected]) and we'll get in touch with Mitchell & Ness so you can receive your prize.

Congratulations again to LB - Jakes Snakes and good luck to everyone in the NFFC this week.

[ September 14, 2005, 08:19 AM: Message edited by: Tom Kessenich ]
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:43 am

Wow, great prize! Hope to snag one of these bad boys this year...

Dyv

Post by Dyv » Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:43 am

In a funny note of ironic twist...

The guy who won this week's 'top score' is a Leaderboard rep named Jeff Price. The only other score I saw this week that was higher was in the Satellite League - Leaderboard vs. the World. Jim Hoffstetter put up a 199 spot.

Guess who he put that score on?

You got it... Jeff Price.

Dyv
The Wonderful thing about Dyv's is I'm the only one!

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:58 am

Originally posted by Dyv:
In a funny note of ironic twist...

The guy who won this week's 'top score' is a Leaderboard rep named Jeff Price. The only other score I saw this week that was higher was in the Satellite League - Leaderboard vs. the World. Jim Hoffstetter put up a 199 spot.

Guess who he put that score on?

You got it... Jeff Price.

Dyv Great week by Jim, too.

Should we sing "We Are The World" or "We Are The Champions"?

jeff.price4

Post by jeff.price4 » Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:42 pm

[ September 14, 2005, 10:23 AM: Message edited by: Showtune Lover ]

TradeStar28

Post by TradeStar28 » Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:53 pm

Tom or Greg -

How come there are no Dallas Cowboys retro jerseys?
2012 - FI$HER - Flying High Again

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:27 am

A little subterfuge can sometimes go a long way. Just ask Jeff Price.

"My main draft strategy was to keep my wife in the dark that I was shelling out for a team (in the NFFC), what with a new baby budge crunch and all," Price said. "I was able to do that under the context of visiting my sister who lives just around the corner from the New York draft site on 54th and 7th - literally a five-minute walk."

For one week anyway, the deception has proven to have big dividends for Price as he topped the NFFC field in Week 1 with 179.65 points. The first-place finish by his team in New York League 1 was paced by Kerry Collins (30.45 points) and Steve Smith (27.8), who combined for nearly 58 points. Willie Parker (27.4) and Randy Moss (24) also stepped up with big weeks.

"My general (Draft Day) approach was to take the best player available," said Price, who has been married for two years to his "devastatingly gorgeous" wife, Georgina. The couple recently had their first son, Jeffrey Karl - hence the "Jake" part of his team name.

"I was targeting the McNair/Volek combo as a cheap means to quality quarterback production, but that went out the window when Kerry Collins fell to the sixth round. I hardly kept from drafting him in the fourth round as I thought he was value there, but I was hesitant to pair him with Moss, whom I drafted previously. By the sixth, I felt I had no choice."

Like all good drafts, Price also found a strong value play that had a tremendous impact on his team's performance. In this case it was a running back by the name of Willie Parker.

"I spent some time looking at the other drafts and noticed that Willie Parker was going consistently in the seventh round, yet he was still available in our draft (after Round 9)," Price said. "I had been thinking about taking Willie as a sleeper, perhaps in Round 12 or 13, not realizing he had climped up so many charts.

"Being weak at running back, I immediately moved him up my board and took him with the second pick in the 10th round. I figured he was a nice start for Week 1 at the very least.

"Needless to say, he was a surprise contributor. Moss and did Collins did what I hope they'll do every few weeks and the rest of the chips fell like they needed for Week 1. Only Parker's game was shocking. Hines Ward dogged it - deferring to Willie, I suppose - and I expected more from Kevin Jones against the Pack. So I don't anticipate a big fall off, barring injuries."

As a member of Leaderboard Sports, Price is a veteran of our NFFC and NFBC events. And he continues to be pleased with how the events are organized and run.

"Greg et al do a bang-up job with the two major events you host," Price said. "They're always fun and well run. I apprecitated the assistance getting my roster straight last weekend."

Although winning the NFFC is obviously Price's No. 1 goal, he also has something else in mind that he hopes to accomplish someday as well - something a little closer to home.

"I saw a young boy drafting with his dad in New York and I look forward to perhaps one day experiencing the NFBC and NFFC with Jake," Price said.

[ September 14, 2005, 08:58 AM: Message edited by: Tom Kessenich ]
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Route Collectors

Post by Route Collectors » Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:57 am

Nice job Jeff!

Dyv

Post by Dyv » Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:03 am

Georgina is going to wonder why you spent money on the FINE Mitchell & Ness Retro Jersey when it arrives, Jeff. If it would help marital bliss, feel free to have it sent to me instead ;)

Congrats, bro!

Dave
The Wonderful thing about Dyv's is I'm the only one!

jeff.price4

Post by jeff.price4 » Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:42 am

Good call, Dyv. I decided to come clean yesterday. I don't mind admitting to fait-accomplis. She insisted on being called "devastatingly gorgeous." I assume this is the first of a long string of "make it up to her" responsibilities.

Additionally, as Georgina is unfamiliar with the concept of one lucky week, she is already spending the grand prize money.