Steve Smith (Carolina) is KILLING his owners!

pizzatyme

Post by pizzatyme » Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:11 pm

Originally posted by GK:
...as a two-time Main SS owner did anyone really see THIS coming?...I mean THIS BAD?...I certainly did not as for all of Delhomme's faults SS has ALWAYS been a competitor and a player man, one that I have greatly admired for awhile, and most importantly one that has always produced...anyone think that he can turn this thing around this season?...GK I certainly called this in the pre-season! I caught hell as a few even TK told me SS is a "Stud" and gets his "regardless".

Delhomme is garbage. Garcia would save Smith's season. Otherwise, forget it!!
2008- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic.
2009- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic or Primetime.

renman

Post by renman » Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:24 am

Unless SS can get under center.. drop back... throw the ball.. and then sprint downfield to catch it... He can't. by himself, fix the problem.

Though his ESPN sportscenter commercial would make you think he is capable of this, I am pretty sure he isn't. This is a failure that the coaching staff and quarterback are responsible for. There is no doubt SS is a stud player, but he can only function in a reasonably cohesively functioning passing offense with good plays that work in time, or with a QB who is mobile (Big Ben, Mcnabb, Rogers, etc) who can extend plays that break down allowing Smith to find space.

Smith isn't a big enough target to just be identified in single coverage (like Larry Fitz, Calvin Johnson, Randy Moss, A. Johnson) and have the QB just throw it up for grabs knowing more often than not he will come down with it.

The passing offense is completely out of sync and Steve Smith and his fantasy owners are suffering. I do believe he will have big moments going forward... but who can predict when they will happen?

I avoided Steve Smith (though I love him as a player) because this passing offense floundered last last season and that scared me in light of how well they ran it. I thought they should have seen how inconsistent the passing game was last year and done something about it... but instead chose to do nothing and now its killing them.

bald is beautiful

Post by bald is beautiful » Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:11 am

Originally posted by Just Russ:
[QUOTE]QUOTE]I certainly called this in the pre-season! I caught hell as a few even TK told me SS is a "Stud" and gets his "regardless".
Maybe so, but you certainly missed on Marques Colston. I remember vividly you giving me the business about buying a guy with one leg in the NFFC Magazine auction.

OK, now that I feel better having said that to Russ , I avoided Steve Smith in every draft this year at where he was getting taken. Worst matchups in the league this year, and Carolina had a far tougher schedule. I did not expect it to be THIS bad, however. I'm sure I would have gladly taken him in the 3rd round in the NFFC.

KOTRAX

Post by KOTRAX » Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:28 am

Originally posted by Just Russ:
quote:Originally posted by GK:
...as a two-time Main SS owner did anyone really see THIS coming?...I mean THIS BAD?...I certainly did not as for all of Delhomme's faults SS has ALWAYS been a competitor and a player man, one that I have greatly admired for awhile, and most importantly one that has always produced...anyone think that he can turn this thing around this season?...GK I certainly called this in the pre-season! I caught hell as a few even TK told me SS is a "Stud" and gets his "regardless".

[/QUOTE]TO SAY THIS NOW RUSS IS REALLY OUT OF WHACK. DELHOMME HAS BEEN STEVE SMITH QB SINCE THE BEGINNING OF TIME.

HE HAS ALWAYS MADE IT A POINT OF GETTING SS THE BALL. ALBEIT I DON'T OWN STEVE SMITH IN ANY LEAGUE BUT TO SAY HE WAS GOING TO FALL FLAT ON HIS FACE WITH A Q.B WHO "FORCE FEEDS" HIM THE BALL JUST DOESN'T SOUND RIGHT.

SoxMets

Post by SoxMets » Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:46 pm

I want to vomit when I see this. I am 2-4 in my classic team because of Smith...thought I stole him in the second round :(

Delhomme is a steaming pile I cannot believe they still let him play.

pizzatyme

Post by pizzatyme » Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:17 pm

Originally posted by KOTRAX:
quote:Originally posted by Just Russ:
quote:Originally posted by GK:

[/QUOTE]TO SAY THIS NOW RUSS IS REALLY OUT OF WHACK. DELHOMME HAS BEEN STEVE SMITH QB SINCE THE BEGINNING OF TIME.

HE HAS ALWAYS MADE IT A POINT OF GETTING SS THE BALL. ALBEIT I DON'T OWN STEVE SMITH IN ANY LEAGUE BUT TO SAY HE WAS GOING TO FALL FLAT ON HIS FACE WITH A Q.B WHO "FORCE FEEDS" HIM THE BALL JUST DOESN'T SOUND RIGHT.
[/QUOTE]Kot, you must have missed the end of last season. Delhomme was garbage then. He's even more so now. I said so in the pre-season. It's there in black and white. I certainly don't get them all right (far from it) but I did on this one.

Bulger was once a terrific QB too. Trent Green, Daunte Culpepper, etc.

Things change pretty quickly for QBs. Delhomme is done.

[ October 25, 2009, 12:21 AM: Message edited by: Just Russ ]

pizzatyme

Post by pizzatyme » Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:20 pm

Originally posted by Bald is Beautiful:
quote:Originally posted by Just Russ:
[QUOTE]QUOTE]I certainly called this in the pre-season! I caught hell as a few even TK told me SS is a "Stud" and gets his "regardless".
Maybe so, but you certainly missed on Marques Colston. I remember vividly you giving me the business about buying a guy with one leg in the NFFC Magazine auction.

OK, now that I feel better having said that to Russ , I avoided Steve Smith in every draft this year at where he was getting taken. Worst matchups in the league this year, and Carolina had a far tougher schedule. I did not expect it to be THIS bad, however. I'm sure I would have gladly taken him in the 3rd round in the NFFC.
[/QUOTE]Jack, so true. But I was not willing to take a chance on Colston coming off microfracture surgery. I was wrong there.