Thoughts On ESPN's Outside The Lines Show On WCOFF

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:15 am

Well, what did you think and what did you learn?
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:19 am

Didn't learn much, because I think most of us on these boards knew everything that was said.

Great job by Scott, Chad, Ian, and Tony to present the facts.....great job by them.

Would of been nice if they would have mentioned the NFFC and FFPC ALWAYS paying their winners, because as someone who didn't know anything, it makes it look like the whole industry is "shady".....when it clearly is not.

[ December 18, 2011, 09:38 AM: Message edited by: BillyWaz ]

Coltsfan

Post by Coltsfan » Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:19 am

Personally I thought that the interviews with Chad, Tony, Ian, and Scott were well done. For whatever reason I was fairly disappointed with the overall content. I guess I expected more. It would have been nice to mention that their are other competitors to WCOFF that pay on time and have been stable companies.

Wayne

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:20 am

I thought it was a fair piece. No real new information however, except for maybe Pinto's lawsuit against Dustin. It certainly didn't make me feel any better about what's been stolen from me nor my chances about recovering. I'm hopeful our attorney feels a little better about it. Right now, I'm feeling angry again more than anything.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:20 am

I will say that I thought it was a very informative, well done journalistic piece by TJ Quinn and ESPN. The information and interviews were presented factually. However, Quinn seemed unprepared for the live questions from Bob Ley at the end. When Ley asked him if other contests were still running in this space he seemed to not know the answer (it would have been easy: 2). He did, however, inform folks that Ian Ritchie and likely Emil Kadlec are interested in returning to the space and that Lakeside Capital, the company that was foolish enough to loan Dustin Ashby $800,000, wants to enter the space. Should be interesting next year.

It's also sad to hear that the first people who would get paid in any settlement would be Lakeside Capital. OUCH for the players.

It's also interesting to see that Peter Pinto in return is suing Dustin and Gridiron Fantasy Sports. The players are looking for the majority owners to pay their prize money in full and now instead those owners are suing Dustin and Jesse. Where does it end? Certainly not at a good point for the players, who just want their winnings. This report doesn't give us any hope that resolution will ever happen for the players. What a mess.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:22 am

Originally posted by BillyWaz:

Would of been nice if they would have mentioned the NFFC and FFPC ALWAYS paying their winners, because as someone who didn't know anything, it makes it look like the whole industry is "shady".....when it clearly is not. T.J. Quinn had a chance to provide clear examples of why fantasy owners can still trust the high-stakes industry with one of the final questions he was asked but he dropped the ball rather badly in my opinion. As I said all along, though, I didn't expect much mention, if any, about our event or FFPC.

Not surprised at all to hear Pinto is suing Dustin. That situation was such a colossal muckup internally it's not the least bit surprising there will be internal lawsuits.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

wiljiro2

Post by wiljiro2 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:23 am

Learned nothing other than the fact someone took TO in the SECOND round last year.... Yikes

I think everyone's fears were assuaged - Government regulation was only mentioned as an afterthought - throw away - final line -

We also "learned" the chances anyone getting any money are slim - but I think we knew that going in -

Doesn't add up - an 800K bridge loan - Where is that money??? - I don't care how many cute girls in ref outfits you hire, you can't "Overspend" to the tune of 3/4 of a million dollars in 3 years - Someone has that money - I hope the lawsuits at least figure out where it all went....

Wiljiro
The Magic Man...> Now you see 'em, Now you don't! - "Ohhhhhhh, it's a PROFIT deal!"

Shrink Attack

Post by Shrink Attack » Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:23 am

The piece focused mainly on the failure of WCOFF without trying to tar and feather HSFF in general, so that part was good.

I was perplexed, however, about the final segment. When Ley asked the reporter about where HSFF players might play in the future, he only mentioned that there might be two new startups rather than mentioning the fact that there are two highly respected contests out there that have never failed to pay their customers.

That was a terrible omission, in my opinion.
"Deserve" ain't got nothin' to do with it
---Clint Eastwood in The Unforgiven

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:25 am

I think part of what Lakeside Capital said is very relevent. They obviously have access to Gridiron's books if they made an $800,000 loan to them, so I hope Chad and Tony's lawyers subpoena them for this information. Those books certainly tell the story of where the money went, which is what everyone wants to know.

So Tim Peters said they had over $3 million in revenue, which is factual. He said they were going to use baseball money to pay off football prizes, which is sad in itself. What company would loan money to another company knowing they are a season in payments behind?

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:25 am

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
However, Quinn seemed unprepared for the live questions from Bob Ley at the end. When Ley asked him if other contests were still running in this space he seemed to not know the answer (it would have been easy: 2). He did, however, inform folks that Ian Ritchie and likely Emil Kadlec are interested in returning to the space I agree 100%, and I feel Quinn just "winged it". If this would of been the Jerry Sandusky scandal, etc., I would bet he would of put more time into it.

As for Ian and Emil starting a new league, that is something I didn't know as well. There is always room for GOOD people starting a new contest in this space. I have never officially met Ian or Emil, but I have no reason to think either one wouldn't do the best they could to create a quality contest.

[ December 18, 2011, 09:27 AM: Message edited by: BillyWaz ]