Possible future change in Playoff round

DOOMSDAY

Post by DOOMSDAY » Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:32 am

Tom and Greg, I think I remember this being discussed last year but do not recall what your final thoughts were.

The topic was to start the Playoffs with more than just the average weekly point total for each player. I believe we were debating 1.5x or 2x your team's average weekly score as your starting point heading into the playoffs.

I like this idea as it gives a greater reward to the teams that dominated and steamrolled their way through the regular season and lessoning the "upset" chances of being picked off by one final dominant week.

For instance, Jules has a commanding 200 point lead right now but going into the playoffs that would only be a little over 15 point head start.

A career day by 1 player for 1 week could catapult someone into 1st overall even if they were beaten soundly by nearly 300 points in the regular season.

Some may argue that is the beauty of the event, that everybody is in it until the end. But I think maybe just a slightly more advantage should be given for consistant dominance.

Just curiuos what the final thoughts were behind this idea.

Thanks

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:36 am

good guestion and reason #1,459 why there needs to be a link on the home page detailing any rule changes from the previous year . let's get that done for next year...please. thanks.
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?

DOOMSDAY

Post by DOOMSDAY » Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:44 am

Just so I'm not misunderstood here.

I did fully realize going into this season that the original weekly average rule was still in place. I am just interested in knowing if this is something that is still being thought of for future seasons.

Unfortunately, it would be of no help to me this year anyways as my squad continues to fail to score (at least my starting QB's that is).

mikeybok

Post by mikeybok » Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:03 am

Average times 2 or average times 3 would be better. Good post DOOMSDAY.
Hakuna Matata!

Quahogs

Post by Quahogs » Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:16 am

the way the NFFC playoff system is set up now is the NFL's equivalent of home field advantage throughout the playoffs. Just because a team goes 15-1 in the playoffs doesnt mean they're automatically going to the superbowl. The NFL playoffs are anybodys game with a slight edge going toward the team with the best record. Same goes for the NFFC - it's anybodys game now - with a slight edge to the team with the most points. I think 1.5 was discussed last season but never implemented. 3 seems a bit high.

Q

[ November 17, 2006, 07:23 PM: Message edited by: Quahogs ]

mikeybok

Post by mikeybok » Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:36 am

Originally posted by Quahogs:
the way the NFFC playoff system is set up now is the NFL's equivalent of home field advantage throughout the playoffs.

Q I think season average would be good for a single team league. I just think that if a team earned a 13 week ... 15 point advantage (195 points). It seams like they should get a 3 week ... 15 point average in the playoffs (45 points).

The thought of the 52nd best team giving up only 3.5 points a week to the second highest scoring team in the playoffs seems too small to me.

UYT
Hakuna Matata!

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:43 am

Originally posted by Gordon Gekko:
good guestion and reason #1,459 why there needs to be a link on the home page detailing any rule changes from the previous year . let's get that done for next year...please. thanks. GG, we didn't make a change on the playoff system. Everyone carries their weekly scoring average into the playoffs. There was no change on this point, so no reason to say we didn't change it, right?

Last year's $100,000 was determined on the last play of the last game and the champion won by less than two points. We decided not to change the playoff format for 2007, but I'll gladly listen to the debate again this year and the merits for rewarding the regular season entrants more going forward.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:53 am

Greg - so many rules discussions take place every year that I'm not sure which ones are enacted. If I don't know, then there are likely others that donakt know. What harm is there with putting a link that summarizes any rule changes from the previous year?
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?

TURBOUGH

Post by TURBOUGH » Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:17 am

To me, its no different than your league playoffs. Everyone starts from 0 there so why should someone start off with a huge advantage over other qualifiers. I think everyone should start at 0 just like any other playoff game.

Sound Advice

Post by Sound Advice » Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:35 am

I think 15 points as a lead is more than enough.
Anything more for a team like Jules' would be too much.
I wouldn't mind them being reset to zero either.
Nothing wrong with that.