Shipp and Buckhalter: A quick fix for next year

nnoy

Post by nnoy » Sun Sep 05, 2004 2:22 am

By NFL rule once a player is placed on the IR he cannot play for the entire season. Since a player has to be an actual NFL player (i.e., we cannot take M. Williams and hope he wins an appeal) to be drafted in the NFFC I propose that next year IR players are excluded from the NFFC by rule.

Someone taking a Boldin in the 3rd round may pan out, say that team makes the playoffs anyway and Boldin has another week like he did in week one last year. It sucks to not be in the league with that guy, but at least he has the hope of getting some value from the pick.

On the other hand the tools that took Buckhalter and Shipp in round six have impacted not only that league but greatly enhanced the probability that a sharp owner in that league may win the main event. Anyone with $1250 in scratch to blow should be allowed in this league, but there needs to be some parameters that protect the overall integrity of the main event.

I was in Chicago #3 (not the one with the Boldin, Shipp, or Buckhalter picks.) However, if I were in one of those other leagues I would feel a sense of embarrassment. I’m here to play against the BEST and beat the BEST. Smoking guys without a clue would leave me with no sense of satisfaction and winning the whole thing because of something like this would certainly taint my championship.

I spent in the in the range of 100 hours prepping for this thing (yea I’m the guy that factored in not only the NFL schedule but my league’s schedule into my picks.) I walked away from my draft feeling it had been a great day. I got a few free beers, chatted with a former NFL player and drafted what I believe is a team with a good chance to win my league. But when I saw the draftbaords with Boldin in the 3rd and Shipp and Buckhalter in the 6th my day was shot to hell. I walked away feeling really pissed off.

Maybe it’s a little post-draft depression (I venture to guess that psychologists have already done some studies on this) but the NFFC should consider finding a way to minimize the likelihood of such a travesty happening again next year.

lichtman

Post by lichtman » Sun Sep 05, 2004 2:42 am

I would like to respond to this post, but I need to pick my jaw up off the ground first.
Hello. My name is Lee Scoresby. I come from Texas, like flying hot-air balloons, being eaten by talking polar bears and fantasy football.

lichtman

Post by lichtman » Sun Sep 05, 2004 2:44 am

OK -- that's done. Did the same guy pick both Buckhalter and Shipp? If not, amazing coincidence that you would get two such people in the same draft.

That is really amazing -- but then again, I hear the Ricky Williams was taken in at least a few drafts.

Agree with you on the post-draft buzzkill. No matter how good you feel during the draft, you always fell like total crap afterwards.
Hello. My name is Lee Scoresby. I come from Texas, like flying hot-air balloons, being eaten by talking polar bears and fantasy football.

Hoosier Hick

Post by Hoosier Hick » Sun Sep 05, 2004 2:45 am

nnoy, you made a lot of great points. However, I think that draft preparation, or lack thereof, is a big part of separating the talent. I think you need a lot of breaks to win this thing and if those breaks include unprepared drafters in your league then thats part of it. It is hard enough to win one of these to think that it woulde be a tainted victory. After suffering through Dillon and Pittman with 2nd and 3rd picks in WCOFF last year I welcome any and all advantages possible. Just like having dead teams, which WILL happen, there will be unprepared drafters.

I agree totally with you theory of looking at schedules and league schedule when selecting your team and think it is very advantagous. But will I feel guilty if I'm (my wife) cashing a 100,000 check? No way. Just consider poor drafts your teams first break of many needed to win this thing. Good luck to all.

BONGIZMO

Post by BONGIZMO » Sun Sep 05, 2004 3:04 am

I agree with Hoosier, nnoy that is part of Drafting and luck of the draw. Hell I remember in the first WCOFF some Barry Saunders picks like RW because maybe the rumors are true and he'll come back. Some folks draft them and fire em off to the WW after week 1. Sure it would be great to have in your league but there is no control and I don't think you should create a list of undraftables because why assist those that aren't prepared. For those of you that have teams on ESPN I have watched over the years as they literally idiot proof their drafts with preset rankings that allow anyone to field a solid team. In the High Stakes arena I think preperation and planning should be rewarded us and if someone wants a guy on IR, so be it...just hope he's in my league... :D
Never do card tricks for the people you play poker with.

lichtman

Post by lichtman » Sun Sep 05, 2004 3:43 am

There is a big difference between taking a calculated gamble, and selecting a player who is forbidden by NFL rules to play this season.

FFMadMan

Post by FFMadMan » Sun Sep 05, 2004 8:31 am

I felt the same way nnoy. I was at Chicago#1 and I feel that my team has a good chance ( in spite of the schedule, which gives us almost no passes) to win our league. However, after seeing some of those other teams, I guess I will have at least another year to plan where to spend 100K.

Route Collectors

Post by Route Collectors » Sun Sep 05, 2004 10:17 am

nnoy - I was pick 7 in league 3. Which owner are you?
I agree with you on this one, however i don't think it'll ever be possible to claim an undisputed title. I think this falls into the "It's not a perfect world" catagory.I do share your competetive desires to beat the best, but there are alot of wannabies out there with 1250 bucks to spare. I just hope I'm not one of them. LOL

As far as the $100,000.00 goes - I suggest buying $1250.00 worth of lottery tickets if that's anyones main motivation for playing. As crazy as it gets "I love this game"

gomizzouman

Post by gomizzouman » Sun Sep 05, 2004 5:07 pm

nnoy - There is no way they will be able to control these types of boneheaded moves from happening in the future. I assumed with a $1,250 entry fee we would not have to worry about such events, but I guess I was wrong.

There are decisions owners make during the draft that any of us could call stupid and give another owner an advantage. For instance, you took Favre and Vick with picks three and four and missed out on a legitimate number one receiver. What was your logic in doing this and at what point during the 100 hours of prepping did that fly into the game plan? It sure will be fun watching one of those guys on your bench when I play you in week one and you are trotting out Ike and Keyshawn.

Everyone just needs to stop whining about potential reasons for failure. Right now we are all tied, we all had 18 picks out of 252 taken in each league to build a winner. A couple of bad picks in one league is not going to be the reason you succeed or fail. Man! If you get a key injury you are going to be in the fetal position with your binky. Suck it up and put your team on the field.

Maybe I am just jealous as A.J Feely is my backup QB!
BigMO
It takes a great person to be truly humble, and a humble person to be truly great.

Route Collectors

Post by Route Collectors » Sun Sep 05, 2004 5:52 pm

nnoy
I was also puzzled by the Vick/Favre picks. Both have byes in week 9. I don't get the strategy here.