League Championship changes?

Barflies

Post by Barflies » Sun Jan 30, 2005 2:29 am

What's the word on potential changes to deciding league champ? I've looked through the message board some in anticipation of signing up with NFFC this year and saw that last year's members may be polled on possible changes. What's the plan on doing that and announcing any decisions?

Sounds like this event was run so well that most are returning regardless but it definitely seemed like at least the vocal majority is in favor of not handing the top league prize strictly based on head-to-head record. And with good reason. At a minimum, there should be at least some sort of league championship playoff if head-to-head is not total points champ. 70% success rate last year is not good enough. Increasing second place (total points) is nice but doesn't fix the problem.

Personally, I'd be much more in favor of an all-play format. This would greatly reduce schedule luck of byes, injuries and quitters. I think it would also promote more rivalries and trash talking within a league by going up against each team each week. I saw an argument that head-to-head would be better or easier to promote. I don't buy that - you're selling to high stakes players who are looking for an event that rewards skill more than luck and that would be all-play over head-to-head. An all-play format also give you flexibility in deciding regular season length. All-play also has an advantage over total points in that a monster week is capped to some degree so consistency is better rewarded. I really haven't seen (or at least can't remember) any good arguments against the all-play format.

I know most of this has probably been said before but its Sunday and there's no football so WTF. And it may seem early to talk about next year but its best to get these things nailed down early. Its great that this league, unlike some others, is open to suggestions and I look forward to likely being part of it has it evolves into the best FF championship around.

Tkats96

Post by Tkats96 » Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:16 am

Why worry about all this? Does not the NFL play a head to head schedule? Did St. Louis get in the playoffs because Philly wasn't trying in week 16 while Minnesota had to play Philly week 2 while they were still going 100%? Byes, schedules, playing teams when they're hot or cold all mimicks the NFL (that should be the goal). I guess you could complain if your a Colts fan that you didn't get homefield you had the most points! NFFC made their league 14 teams so the best team would survive the 13 weeks almost everytime. Let me think this out the New England Patriots scored the most points in the AFC? Wrong, but they're still the best team last time I checked. THINK PEOPLE!

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:24 am

Barflies, we're definitely open to hearing comments and suggestions from our members (as well as those who are just thinking about signing up), but I can say that Greg has stated rather emphatically that the H2H set-up will not change. As we move along and get closer to the NFFC there may be some minor tweaking of things in order to make the event even better than it was this season, but the H2H is here to stay.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Mon Jan 31, 2005 4:41 am

Originally posted by Tkats96:
NFFC made their league 14 teams so the best team would survive the 13 weeks almost everytime. THINK PEOPLE! kinda funny that a regular season league champ didn't win the overall title.
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?

TamuScarecrow

Post by TamuScarecrow » Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:00 am

Tom, there are very few teams from last season, if any, who have a problem with the H2H format in regards to letting the teams with the best H2H record in their respective leagues into the championship bracket. There weren't many on the message boards who wanted H2H to disappear and I personally would not want H2H to disappear. However, once again, the team deserving of the top money in each league should be determined by either total points or the power rankings. Having gone through a season where I was 2-5 after week 7 and leading my league in points certainly qualifies me as someone who can attest to the luck of the schedule.

Those who say the point totals will be skewed by the "monster" week or weeks, it wasn't luck that a team drafted the right players, picked up the right players in FA, and picked the optimal starting lineup for those weeks. Luck is being the second high point total in your league and losing four of those five weeks. Seeing as how the power ranking takes all three aspects into account, H2H, total points, and all-play, it's the obvious solution.
2005 NY/CHI League Champ
2006 CHI#2 3rd Place
2006 Auction Reg Season Champ
2007 TAM#2 2nd Place
2007 Auction Reg Season Champ
2009 LV#5 League Champ
2010 Auction Reg Season Champ
2011 LV#3 2nd Place
2012 LV Classic League Champ

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Mon Jan 31, 2005 7:38 am

We'll be taking everything into advisement Rick. You can count on that.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Barflies

Post by Barflies » Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:45 pm

Power rankings would be cool. But guess that and all-play look to be to radical a change. I hope there's some serious consideration for some type of league playoff since head-to-head sounds like its here to stay.

Love the post - Tkats96. Its makes we want to jump in and play against what has to be some dead money.

Diesel

Post by Diesel » Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:28 pm

Originally posted by Gordon Gekko:
quote:Originally posted by Tkats96:
NFFC made their league 14 teams so the best team would survive the 13 weeks almost everytime. THINK PEOPLE! kinda funny that a regular season league champ didn't win the overall title. [/QUOTE]GG, I hope your banter is coming from Costa Rica somewhere, while you're laptop is melting in the sun along with your Margarita. That's what my scenario would be if I were in your shoes. :cool:
*Ranked #1 Average Fantasy Football Player in the Nation 2004-2013

"Fantasy sports are all about LUCK. Except when I win."

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:57 pm

Originally posted by Diesel:
GG, I hope your banter is coming from Costa Rica somewhere, while you're laptop is melting in the sun along with your Margarita. That's what my scenario would be if I were in your shoes. :cool: i wish, but i'm busy doing baseball stuff.

your post was honestly refreshing. for a split second i thought i was there. thanks.
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?

Route Collectors

Post by Route Collectors » Fri Feb 04, 2005 2:09 am

Barflies
Time to get off the fence if you're a serious competitor (which it sounds like you are). This is without a doubt the most challenging and fun high stakes game in town. Unless you're "scared" or broke, I expect to be competing against you next year. BTW where will you be drafting? I'll be in Chicago.

Rick
Are you coming to town early enough for some hold-em?

RC (Jeff)