Top 15 WRs From Fantasy Sports Magazine

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Thu May 14, 2009 3:24 am

Today we turn our attention to the wide receivers. Here are the Top 15 WRs we have ranked for our first issue of Fantasy Sports Magazine. Comments below:

1. Larry Fitzgerald
2. Andre Johnson
3. Randy Moss
4. Calvin Johnson
5. Reggie Wayne
6. Steve Smith
7. Roddy White
8. Greg Jennings
9. Anquan Boldin
10. Dwayne Bowe
11. Marques Colston
12. Brandon Marshall
13. Wes Welker
14. Terrell Owens
15. Vincent Jackson

COMMENTS: Larry Fitzgerald is the consensus No. 1 WR based on our first three drafts. He went first in all of them. The Top WRs in our drafts were typically Fitzgerald, Andre Johnson and Randy Moss. Andre Johnson went second twice and Moss was the second WR picked once. Calvin Johnson was taken second among WRs in one draft but went fifth and fourth in the other two. T.J. Houshmandzadeh isn't among our Top 15 WRs in rankings but he was taken among the Top 15 in all three of our drafts, going 15th, 12th and 9th. The WR we like more than our owners so far is Vincent Jackson. We have him ranked 15th but the highest he went in any draft was 18th.

Here is a look at where each of the WRs went in our first three drafts:

1. Larry Fitzgerald 1,1, 1
2. Andre Johnson 2, 2, 3
3. Randy Moss 3,3, 4
4. Calvin Johnson 5, 4, 2
5. Reggie Wayne 4, 5, 5
6. Steve Smith 7, 6, 7
7. Roddy White 8, 9, 8
8. Greg Jennings 9, 8, 10
9. Anquan Boldin 6, 11, 6
10. Dwayne Bowe 10, 15, 13
11. Marques Colston 11, 7, 12
12. Brandon Marshall 13, 10, 11
13. Wes Welker 12, 13, 14
14. Terrell Owens 14, 19, 14
15. Vincent Jackson 22, 18, 18
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu May 14, 2009 3:48 am

Here's a few wideouts who were picked in the Top 15 in one of our magazine drafts but didn't quite make our Top 15:

T.J. Houshmandzadeh, 15, 12, 9
Eddie Royal 17, 14, 21
Roy Williams 18, 16, 15

I'll add Lee Evans for fun: 16, 22, 25
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

eddietheking

Post by eddietheking » Thu May 14, 2009 6:18 am

So no Madden jinx for Fitz?
Roddy White sure rose in the rankings from last year! It will be interesting to see who benefits the most from Gonzo moving, White or Bowe. Will Bowe see more coverage and have a tougher time with probably more catches or passes in his direction or will White simply have less balls thrown his way.
Isn't Marshall already suspended? Again!
Is it 1 or 3 games this year?

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Thu May 14, 2009 7:13 am

There's no word yet on a suspension for Marshall. There was some talk that one would be announced before the draft. That we're still here in May and nothing has happened makes me think he'll avoid being suspended. The greater concern for Marshall in my opinion is Kyle Orton is an awful QB.

I seem to be higher on Bowe than most right now. I do have some concerns the team's lack of talent will hurt him. The Chiefs lack anyone in the passing game who defenses have to fear other than Bowe and KC's running game is very suspect. But I think Bowe will get force-fed a ton of receptions and that will give him potentially strong fantasy value. I think 90+ receptions is very likely. Where the team's lack of talent could hurt him is with his TD potential.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Team Canada

Post by Team Canada » Thu May 14, 2009 7:28 am

There is 1 guy you missed that I GUARANTEE will make the top 15...
Can't tell you who until after the drafts though :D
Tom if you have any interest in my GUARANTEE I will pm you if asked ;)
2008 double playoffs!!

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Thu May 14, 2009 7:34 am

It's likely some in our Top 15 won't finish there and some will finish higher than we have them currently ranked. That's the nature of the beast.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

RiFF

Post by RiFF » Thu May 14, 2009 8:40 am

The one guy that really stands out on your list for me is T.O. Where you have him listed is about where he finished last year in avg. ppg. That was as the #1 WR on a pass happy team with a pro bowl QB that plays in a dome.
He's moving to a "grind it out" offense with a weak armed QB who "manages" the game and a #1 WR already in place on a team that will likely play most of its home games in Nov/Dec in inclement weather. I believe it's a real stretch to expect him to equal last year's stats under these conditions as he approaches 36 years old.
Buffalo signed him to put fannies in the seats and get National media exposure. They got both, as season ticket sales increased and they got 2 primetime games. That's in addition to all the National media exposure they got already in addition to what more they will get because of this "act".
Many will say T.O. is a model citizen in the 1st year after signing with a new team. That was true in both Philly and Dallas when he was going to a high powered offense where he was expected to be the center piece on a team expected to win immediately. None of this is true in Buffalo. They will probably end up last in their division, maintain their run first approach and he'll at best share the #1 WR spot with Evans. I'm not necessarily predicting T.O. to implode at some point this year; but it certainly wouldn't surprise me. And even if he doesn't I can't see him equaling last year's stats in Buffalo. I believe there are a number of WR's that can be drafted 2, 3 or 4 rounds later that will end up with better numbers than T.O. this year.
I also wouldn't want "little T.O." where he'll be drafted, He's coming off surgery so isn't getting the reps within the new system or getting to work with the new QB. He's lost his "gunslinger" QB who has been replaced by a manage the game QB who seems to need a wide open receiver to throw to. There was a reason Forte caught 60+ balls last year. And he's one slapped girlfriend away from a 4-8 game suspension. Also, he doesn't seem to be the "sharpest tack in the box" which may hinder his progress in the new system If everything aligns perfectly he may perform to his probable ADP, but I'll let someone else take that risk.

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Thu May 14, 2009 8:45 am

TO is a very tough guy for me to rank this year. He is coming from a better Dallas team but the Cowboys also played without Romo at times last season and Brad Johnson was putrid so that negatively impacted Owens' production. Now he goes to a Buffalo team that, in my opinion, lacks quality talent at QB. Given how TO has had issues with every QB he's played with and given how Edwards is by far the worst QB he's ever played with I'm not sure things are going to go well for him and the Bills this season.

On the plus side, he is talented and he has a WR on the opposite side of the field arguably better than anyone he's played with since Jerry Rice. So he'll see more single coverage than he has in the past. If Edwards is simply adequate Owens has a chance to be a good WR2 at least.

But if Edwards plays poorly and TO starts to grumble, it all could fall apart there. That's the risk you have to take if you 're looking at a WR and TO is still on the board.

[ May 14, 2009, 02:46 PM: Message edited by: Tom Kessenich ]
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Old School

Post by Old School » Thu May 14, 2009 9:26 am

Originally posted by Tom Kessenich:
TO is a very tough guy for me to rank this year. He is coming from a better Dallas team but the Cowboys also played without Romo at times last season and Brad Johnson was putrid so that negatively impacted Owens' production. Now he goes to a Buffalo team that, in my opinion, lacks quality talent at QB. Given how TO has had issues with every QB he's played with and given how Edwards is by far the worst QB he's ever played with I'm not sure things are going to go well for him and the Bills this season.

On the plus side, he is talented and he has a WR on the opposite side of the field arguably better than anyone he's played with since Jerry Rice. So he'll see more single coverage than he has in the past. If Edwards is simply adequate Owens has a chance to be a good WR2 at least.

But if Edwards plays poorly and TO starts to grumble, it all could fall apart there. That's the risk you have to take if you 're looking at a WR and TO is still on the board. Hey Tom,

I agree Owens will all over the place in drafts.
Speaking of Edwards, did Braylon Edwards sniff the top 15 and where do u see this guy? Lester Hayes sent him some stickem' I heard.

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Thu May 14, 2009 9:28 am

Edwards went 19th, 20th and 17th in our drafts. He's someone I can't see drafting unless the value is ridiculously good. I think the Browns are in for a LONG year. They have gigantic talent issues all over the place offensively.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich