Draft Process: Are You In Favor Of A Change?

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Oct 25, 2005 3:49 am

Okay, let's start this discussion VERY slowly. There's been a lot of talk on the Message Boards lately about changing the current system we now have in place to determine draft positions. Right now everything is random as Tom and I pick names out of a hat separately for each city once we have all of the registrants complete. The league assignments are random and the draft spots are totally random.

There has been suggestions to make that process less random, at least for the draft selections. There are two potential options: 1) Using a Kentucky Derby Style system where you'd be able to rank your draft preference; and 2) a Blind Bidding Draft System where you'd use your $1,000 FAAB allocation to also bid on preferred draft spots before the leagues are determined. I won't go into great detail about either process yet, but those are the two options that I would consider in 2006 if the vast majority of NFFC owners wanted a system other than our random draft selection process.

So let's crawl before we run. First off, I want help in answering the following question and you can vote once on this question:

If given the choice, would you prefer a system for the NFFC main event where you have more input in determining your draft position? If you would like input and understand that we'd consider the two options above, vote "Yes." If you'd prefer the totally random selection process that we use now, vote "No."

I'll leave the question up for a few weeks and then take appropriate action after that. Thanks for helping.

[ October 25, 2005, 09:51 AM: Message edited by: Greg Ambrosius ]
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Tue Oct 25, 2005 5:04 am

greg - other changes IMO
1. change playoff criteria for auction and Ult leagues.
something like what i'm using in the gekko league this year
6 teams make the playoffs
Seed #1 team with the best head-to-head record
Seed #2 remaining team with the most total points
Seed #3 remaining team with the most total points
Seed #4 remaining team with the most total points
Seed #5 remaining team with the best H2H record
Seed #6 remaining team with the best H2H record

2. in a specific league, if the team with the best regular season record doesn't also have the most points scored, have a 3 week playoff to determine each league champ. best record vs most points.

3. add 1 roster spot to each team for the playoff weeks. running 3 weeks (14-16) with an 18 man roster and no FA transactions is difficult.
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?

Captain Hook

Post by Captain Hook » Tue Oct 25, 2005 5:39 am

I did vote to change the system, as I think both the proposed changes are better than random draw, although I do think that if the bid system is used, each team should be given $500 to bid on draft position so
1) if they bid more than the 500 they can draw from their FAAB
2) if they use less than the 500, it is added to their FAAB.

I am against GG's first and second proposals, but would agree with an extra roster spot added in the last two weeks of FA bidding.

Route Collectors

Post by Route Collectors » Tue Oct 25, 2005 5:57 am

GG's proposals would make for good discussion but probably on another thread. I got the impression that Greg wanted this thread to address only draft slot selection.

Djagoda

Post by Djagoda » Tue Oct 25, 2005 6:01 am

Hi Greg,

I like the using the $1000 FAAB idea.
Thanks,
Don

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Tue Oct 25, 2005 6:05 am

Originally posted by Captain Hook:
I did vote to change the system, as I think both the proposed changes are better than random draw, although I do think that if the bid system is used, each team should be given $500 to bid on draft position so
2) if they use less than the 500, it is added to their FAAB.Just curious how adding $500 FAAB would make the BBDS proposal a better one.

ultimatefs

Post by ultimatefs » Tue Oct 25, 2005 6:08 am

Originally posted by King of Queens:
quote:Originally posted by Captain Hook:
2) if they use less than the 500, it is added to their FAAB.Just curious how adding $500 FAAB would make the BBDS proposal a better one.
[/QUOTE]I'm against that. Can't have the best of both worlds.
Jules is a Dirt bag and makes my luck.

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Tue Oct 25, 2005 6:13 am

Originally posted by Captain Hook:
each team should be given $500 to bid on draft position so
2) if they use less than the 500, it is added to their FAAB.

I am against GG's first and second proposals, but would agree with an extra roster spot added in the last two weeks of FA bidding. 1. no extra $500. don't make this more complicated than it has to be
2. i vetoed you being against my first two proposals. you are now in favor of them
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?

Tested

Post by Tested » Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:43 am

It should be noted that this is a biased sampling, since it involves only those participating in the MF Forums, and those individuals tend to be in favor of the more "time-consuming" aspects of Fantasy Football. Your "average Joe" FF player who is debating whether to put up $1250 may not like this idea one bit, and it may in fact scare him (or her) away from the contest.

I'm not saying that will happen, just that it might, so these poll results should not be considered a definitive opinion of the majority of people who might want to play in the NFFC.

JerseyPaul

Post by JerseyPaul » Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:16 am

Average Joe playing a $1250 fantasy football game = oxymoron