Another one bites the dust....

rsaylor

Post by rsaylor » Sat Nov 05, 2005 10:24 am

Three weeks ago a 1 -5 team quit (used 8 man lineup) in the league I'm in, now it looks like a 3 -5 team has done the same. His RBs this week, McGahee(BYE), Bettis(Doubtful), AGreen(IR) and Antowain Smith(Yeehah,hip hip hooray!). He has FA money left but did not bid this week. Let me add that JWells and VMorency went undrafted, this week, in this league. He could have gotten BOTH for $2.

3 or 4 teams played both these teams when they were submitting full and competitive lineups and 3 or 4 teams will get to play both these teams after they quit.

Does anybody think something should be done? (maybe $50 off a future entry or free co-chair for finishing in the top half of h2h standings/ wouldn't solve the problem completely but would help) or do we simply chalk this issue up to "the luck of the draw?"

[ November 05, 2005, 04:35 PM: Message edited by: Rodsay12 ]

Superpion

Post by Superpion » Sat Nov 05, 2005 10:54 am

Make people do a super ultimate pinky swear when they sign up that they will competitively manage their team for the length of the entire season. Clearly, this would prevent dead money teams from ever happening again....
"We see you've been missing a lot of work lately".

"I wouldnt say I've been missing it Bob". ---OFFICE SPACE

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Sat Nov 05, 2005 11:40 am

Originally posted by Rodsay12:
Three weeks ago a 1 -5 team quit (used 8 man lineup) in the league I'm in, now it looks like a 3 -5 team has done the same. His RBs this week, McGahee(BYE), Bettis(Doubtful), AGreen(IR) and Antowain Smith(Yeehah,hip hip hooray!). He has FA money left but did not bid this week. Let me add that JWells and VMorency went undrafted, this week, in this league. He could have gotten BOTH for $2.

3 or 4 teams played both these teams when they were submitting full and competitive lineups and 3 or 4 teams will get to play both these teams after they quit.

Does anybody think something should be done? (maybe $50 off a future entry or free co-chair for finishing in the top half of h2h standings/ wouldn't solve the problem completely but would help) or do we simply chalk this issue up to "the luck of the draw?" All the more reason to select players who have their bye weeks in Weeks 8, 9 and 10 -- you just might catch a break.

GOD Loves You

Post by GOD Loves You » Sat Nov 05, 2005 12:37 pm

I have experienced the same problem in a local league where I am the commish.

We use the "come and get'em" policy when it comes to FA rather than bidding.

Instead of letting the rosters on the dead teams remain stagnant, I have chosen to run those teams as they were my own.

Some might say this is "unethical" but I want every manager to play against a competitive team each week rather than a team with a bunch of "bye players" and "IR players."

One can say that this is cheating but I haven't had any complaints from the other 11 managers in our league.

Of course the active manager count has now dwindled down to 9 of us, as 3 have "fallen off the face of the earth."

I choose the best players for each team and submit their line-up as I would mine.

This is the most fair method I have come up with to allow competitive balance to remain the entire season.
What are your thoughts on this approach?
FAITH IS NOT BELIEVING THAT GOD CAN....
IT IS KNOWING THAT HE WILL

TradeStar28

Post by TradeStar28 » Sat Nov 05, 2005 12:57 pm

Originally posted by GOD Loves You:
I have experienced the same problem in a local league where I am the commish.

We use the "come and get'em" policy when it comes to FA rather than bidding.

Instead of letting the rosters on the dead teams remain stagnant, I have chosen to run those teams as they were my own.

Some might say this is "unethical" but I want every manager to play against a competitive team each week rather than a team with a bunch of "bye players" and "IR players."

One can say that this is cheating but I haven't had any complaints from the other 11 managers in our league.

Of course the active manager count has now dwindled down to 9 of us, as 3 have "fallen off the face of the earth."

I choose the best players for each team and submit their line-up as I would mine.

This is the most fair method I have come up with to allow competitive balance to remain the entire season.
What are your thoughts on this approach? I think you should find new friends who are serious about competing in a home based fantasy football league. Otherwise, its just a circle jerk
2012 - FI$HER - Flying High Again

richieprimo

Post by richieprimo » Sat Nov 05, 2005 1:05 pm

Simple solution to this problem. Add an additional, conditional $50. to the entry fee to include a stipulation to charge $20. per loss throughout the final five weeks of the season. At the conclusion of the regular schedule, the balance of loss money can be refunded or credited to next season's entry fee. The win and loss totals would even out over the course of the last five weeks of the season. Example: If Team A goes 4-1 in the final five weeks, they would be credited with $30. and if Team B goes 0-5, they would get nothing in return as it would be distributed to the above .500 teams accordingly.

Well...maybe not a "simple" solution, but given a little more thought, this could work out.

[ November 05, 2005, 07:10 PM: Message edited by: Primo ]
Paying Top Dollar For All 12 and 10 cent Superhero Comics. Send PM...You may have money packed in your garage or attic.

TamuScarecrow

Post by TamuScarecrow » Sat Nov 05, 2005 1:23 pm

We have the same problem in Chicago 4 as an 0-8 team hasn't submitted a lineup for 3 weeks and probably won't the rest of the season. He had McAllister and A. Green so you can understand his wanting to use his time more wisely than to try to salvage. Problem we may have is the new people not understanding the consolation game and that places 3 through 14 still have something to play for. Last year we recommended these people be banned from future participation in the NFFC and Greg was certainly considering it. Fact is, you have to be a committed quitter to let $1250 go down the drain after Week 5 without a fight.
2005 NY/CHI League Champ
2006 CHI#2 3rd Place
2006 Auction Reg Season Champ
2007 TAM#2 2nd Place
2007 Auction Reg Season Champ
2009 LV#5 League Champ
2010 Auction Reg Season Champ
2011 LV#3 2nd Place
2012 LV Classic League Champ

richieprimo

Post by richieprimo » Sat Nov 05, 2005 1:46 pm

I guess you're right, Rick. If people would throw away $1250. then I guess a $20. loss charge wouldn't incite them to continue to participate. But all things considered, the way to most mens minds is through messing with their pockets. Good luck to you.
Paying Top Dollar For All 12 and 10 cent Superhero Comics. Send PM...You may have money packed in your garage or attic.

ultimatefs

Post by ultimatefs » Sat Nov 05, 2005 1:51 pm

Originally posted by TamuScarecrow:
We have the same problem in Chicago 4 as an 0-8 team hasn't submitted a lineup for 3 weeks and probably won't the rest of the season. He had McAllister and A. Green so you can understand his wanting to use his time more wisely than to try to salvage. Problem we may have is the new people not understanding the consolation game and that places 3 through 14 still have something to play for. Last year we recommended these people be banned from future participation in the NFFC and Greg was certainly considering it. Fact is, you have to be a committed quitter to let $1250 go down the drain after Week 5 without a fight. The answer to all of this is very simple.

Greg should be e-mailed when someone sees one of these teams.

Greg should then e-mail that owner.

If that owner chooses to neglect his team the rest of the way, Greg doesn't invite him back.

Owners in these events should always play to the end.
Jules is a Dirt bag and makes my luck.