Carson Palmer?

KW3

Carson Palmer?

Post by KW3 » Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:44 am

I'm familiar with the wait on a QB approach. A lot of depth at QB and a guy like Kitna could throw for 25 TDs. However, Palmer was the best QB in football last year. The #1 FF QB. And I think he's going to make another jump into the 35+TD 4K+yards group this season.

I probably grabbed him a round or more too early. I took him in round 3 pick #5. Where did he go in your league?

King of Queens

Carson Palmer?

Post by King of Queens » Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:00 am

Originally posted by KW3:
I'm familiar with the wait on a QB approach. A lot of depth at QB and a guy like Kitna could throw for 25 TDs. However, Palmer was the best QB in football last year. The #1 FF QB. And I think he's going to make another jump into the 35+TD 4K+yards group this season.

I probably grabbed him a round or more too early. I took him in round 3 pick #5. Where did he go in your league? I highlighted your mistakes.

Taking Palmer in the 3rd is not a terrible move. However, taking Kurt Warner in the 4th is.

[ September 05, 2006, 03:01 PM: Message edited by: King of Queens ]

KW3

Carson Palmer?

Post by KW3 » Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:10 am

What can I say? I have him as the #1 QB this year again. Based on my outrageous projections I had him in the top 30 overall. My only regret was I passed on Driver and I may have had a good shot at Plamer in round 4.

But I do think he'll payoff as a round 3 pick. Not only do I think he's the best QB in the NFL I think the guy is the best football player in the NFL. Leg looks good. They'll go back to some more no huddle with him. One of the best OL in the league. Strong #3 WR Chris Henry is currently out of jail. A lot of things to like about Palmer in 06.

King of queens...where did he go in your draft?

King of Queens

Carson Palmer?

Post by King of Queens » Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:29 am

Palmer, like Manning, is a player that was taken all over the place. I have heard of some leagues where Palmer was actually drafted ahead of Manning in the 2nd round. Other leagues saw him fall to the fourth round. In my main event, he went 3.2 (right after Manning). Like I said, it's not a terrible pick.

The bad part about taking Palmer (or any QB) that high is that he HAS to produce at a Top 3 level for you to have a shot. You've already sacrificed at least one other position (WR3, RB2 or TE) by taking Palmer in the 3rd round. If Palmer doesn't produce like you think he will, now you've sacrificed two positions.

It's a move that could pay off for you. However, based on the high pick that you spent to get Palmer, I'd say you probably made too big a sacrifice elsewhere to get him.

KW3

Carson Palmer?

Post by KW3 » Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:47 am

TE was one spot I was not worried about. IMO, that is a spot you can get top 3-4 production from a round 9-10 TE. And I think I got that in my Rutgers guy LJ Smith.

The sacrifice was made at WR. Passing on a guy like Driver was tough. Hopefully, one of the round 4-8 guys will make a big jump to cover it.

Thanks for the reply.

RiFF

Carson Palmer?

Post by RiFF » Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:55 am

Originally posted by KW3:
. My only regret was I passed on Driver and I may have had a good shot at Plamer in round 4.

You answered your own question. You passed on a 250 point WR to draft Palmer. You will probably have to start a 160-170 point WR instead. So the question becomes will Palmer score 90 more points over the course of the season than the QB you could have drafted in round 8-10? I suspect not, even if Palmer has the season you anticipate for him. He was drafted in round 4 in LV2.

GOD Loves You

Carson Palmer?

Post by GOD Loves You » Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:04 am

Palmer went first pick, 2nd round in Chi 6 :eek:
FAITH IS NOT BELIEVING THAT GOD CAN....
IT IS KNOWING THAT HE WILL

KW3

Carson Palmer?

Post by KW3 » Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:20 am

Riff,

That was the big decision right there. My projections may be nuts but I have Palmer at 400+ points. And a huge gap between him and the round 8-10 guys. I wanted him in round 4 but didn't think he'd be there. So I reached a little.

Driver vs the mid round WRs? I put my money on drafting a couple of WRs who could close that 90 point gap you mentioned. I felt I could close it to under 50.

That was the plan.

FatPerez

Carson Palmer?

Post by FatPerez » Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:50 pm

For what it's worth KRWP3, I feel exactly like you about Palmer for this coming year, (4000+/30+). I reached for him as well, as I didn't think he would fall back to me in the 4th. Also, I am by no means one of those funny early round QB guys.....far from it. I've never taken any QB in any draft in the 3rd round before. No doubt a gamble, but one I was willing to take. I really don't think a Jake Plummer/Donald Driver is gonna' mean sh*t vs. a Carson Palmer/Michael Clayton, which was basically the type of choice I was looking at with the two different approaches. We'll have to wait and see.
"To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women."- Conan the Cimmerian