Just so you know where I stand...

RedRyder

Post by RedRyder » Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:09 am

Much has been made about "Snake" bashing in the "Nine Owners In Line..." thread.

I found Glenn's comment calling another NFFC'er a "TrannyHooker" offensive. I commented about it. My post was made about Glenn's discriminating comment, not whether I hope he wins a million or if he deserves to be on that list.

I have found several things on these boards offensive and on two occasions I have sent a private e-mail to Tom & Greg.

About 8 years ago I heard Maya Angelou speak. She spoke of discrimination and how she deals with it. It really struck a chord with me and from there on out I tried to watch my words (not always successful) and how I dealt with people who didn't watch their words.

This morning I looked on the internet for a quote from Maya Angelou about discrimination and found the below, it is similar to what I heard her say 8 years ago.

Snake: I find your some of your nicknames very offensive, there is no place or excuse for calling someone "Coltsfag" or "TrannyHooker".

Question to Maya Angelou: Have you ever been in a position to defend someone else who was being discriminated against?

Answer: "I will not sit in a group of black friends and hear racial pejoratives against whites. I will not hear "honky." I will not hear "Jap." I will not hear "ki**." I will not hear "greaser." I will not hear "dago." I will not hear it. As soon as I hear it, I say, "Excuse me, I have to leave. Sorry." Or if it's in my home, I say, "You have to leave. I can't have that. That is poison, and I know it is poison, and you're smearing it on me. I will not have it." Now, it's not an easy thing. And one doesn't all of a sudden sort of blossom into somebody who's courageous enough to say that. But you do start little by little. And you sit in a room, and somebody says -- if you're all white, and somebody says, "Well, the niggers -- " You may not have the courage right then, but you say, "Whooh! My goodness! It's already eight o'clock. I have to go," and leave. Little by little, you develop courage. You sit in a room, and somebody says, "Well, you know what the Japs did then, and what they're doing now." Say, "Mm-hmm! I have to go. My goodness! It's already six o'clock." Leave. Continue to build the courage. Sooner or later, you'll be able to say out loud, "Just a minute. I defend that person. I will not have gay bashing, lesbian bashing. Not in my company. I will not do it."

-Jules
@RedRyder

boutrous11

Post by boutrous11 » Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:21 am

wtf people, it's a message board!

Raiders

Post by Raiders » Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:22 am

Jules,

Nice job posting this. If in anyway I posted anything that rubbed You the wrong way, I'm sorry. I know it must be tough being one of the few females on these boards. As You know I have two daughters and I would like nothing more than for them to be able to do anything they want to and more so, not to have to fight just because there females.

Without question these boards need You on it.

Thanks,

John

RedRyder

Post by RedRyder » Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:53 am

Originally posted by Raiders:
Jules,

Nice job posting this. If in anyway I posted anything that rubbed You the wrong way, I'm sorry. I know it must be tough being one of the few females on these boards. As You know I have two daughters and I would like nothing more than for them to be able to do anything they want to and more so, not to have to fight just because there females.

Without question these boards need You on it.

Thanks,

John Hey John,

It's not a male/female thing & you've never posted anything that has offended me! You're one of my FF buds!

Thanks!

-Jules
@RedRyder

Coltsfan

Post by Coltsfan » Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:06 am

My 10 year old son absolutely loves fantasy football. He watches over my shoulder as I put in bids, read the guru, set lineups, and yes read these boards. It's nice not having to explain certain words to my son because he likes hanging out with me and doing fantasy football.

Wayne

RedRyder

Post by RedRyder » Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:34 am

Originally posted by GK:
...SNAKE is going to post (respond) on this thread when he has more time to do so later today...however, please allow The Serpent to state unequivocally and categorically that it is NOT now, nor has it ever been, nor will it ever be, his modus operandi to call anyone, anywhere at anytime derogatory names that relate to a person's sexual preference, race, gender, etc...and if Jules or anyone for that matter can't discern the difference between that and what SNAKE posts on this MB, well then please may God him(her)self help them here...SNAKE But, Glenn, you did call more than one person a derogatory name. More than just myself find a problem with that. Angelou's quote sums it up pretty well for me.

Can't wait to be enlightened by Glenn on how using the words "***" "tranny" & "hooker" IN REFERENCE to another NFFC'er is acceptable. Using words like that in your nicknames is NOT Chris Berman-esqe.
@RedRyder

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:34 am

Originally posted by GK:
...SNAKE is going to post (respond) on this thread when he has more time to do so later today...however, please allow The Serpent to state unequivocally and categorically that it is NOT now, nor has it ever been, nor will it ever be, his modus operandi to call anyone, anywhere at anytime derogatory names that relate to a person's sexual preference, race, gender, etc...and if Jules or anyone for that matter can't discern the difference between that and what SNAKE posts on this MB, well then please may God him(her)self help them here...SNAKE So everyone else has to assume that you aren't saying things on purpose, and THEY have to change because you WON'T??? :mad:

Honestly Glenn, who the hell do you think you are? Contrary to what you think, this board is about MUCH more than YOU.

I honestly truly feel for you and more importantly the loved ones around you, as your "it's OK for me, but not for others" attitude is what is wrong with some adults and MANY more young people today (zero accountability).

I would hope that Wayne's post about his son, should have you thinking a bit. How would you like to have to explain to your son what a "tranny hooker" is?

Get over your arrogance and self-centeredness, Glenn.

[ November 28, 2008, 05:31 PM: Message edited by: BillyWaz ]

RedRyder

Post by RedRyder » Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:36 am

Oh, look at that, the MB won't even allow the word "f-a-g" to be used (it has "***" instead)...so, again, why is it acceptable for you to use that word Glenn?
@RedRyder

pizzatyme

Post by pizzatyme » Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:54 am

Jules, when it comes to the name calling and offensive language, I am 100% in agreement with you.

There is no need for that type of language here. I agree with Wayne and his sentiments as well. I've felt the need to post something very similar myself previously in response to things Glenn has posted.

It is unneeded, unfunny, and not appreciated.

This is part of my wish list that everyone be required to be "excellent" to each other on the boards.
2008- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic.
2009- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic or Primetime.