**NEW NFFC vs. WCOFF THREAD**

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:11 am

Gentlemen, let's be just that. I started a NFFC vs. WCOFF thread as a means to have a productive conversation about a truly great idea. I'll re-post my original words here, but my feelings have changed as far as the number of owners Greg should pick. In reality, especially if he's putting his own money on the line (and to be fair, we're not sure if that's happening yet), he should have final say over 11-12 if not 13 of the spots.

I'll also change it to Weeks 1 to 16.

Let's try to discuss the merits of this idea and iron out the finer points. Bickering with one another will ensure that this event never happens.

============================================

A couple of weeks ago, Lance Turbes (aka sportsbettingman) made a casual suggestion on the "Something's Brewin' in Chicago" thread

http://nffcboards.stats.com/cgi-bin/ult ... p=3#000035

In his post, he casually asked when Greg and Lenny (WCOFF co-founder) would create a "Clash of the Titans" league pitting the best players of both leagues against each other. Certainly, it would be great to know which high stakes football event truly features the best fantasy football owners. In the right corner, you have the established WCOFF, now entering its fifth year and featuring hundreds of veteran fantasy nuts. In the left corner, there is the much smaller, upstart NFFC featuring what many feel is a tougher and more challenging set of rules.

Ladies and gentlemen, the time has now come to settle it on the field.

The NFFC hereby extends the following challenge to the WCOFF (or WCOFF owners). The 13 best NFFC owners challenge the 13 best WCOFF owners in a two league format. One league is a 14-team league (NFFC rules prevail except where noted) and the other league is a 12-team league (WCOFF rules prevail except where noted).

In one of the two leagues, WCOFF owners will get all of the "even" draft slots, and NFFC owners will get all of the "odd" slots. In the remaining league, NFFC owners will get all of the "even" slots, and WCOFF owners will get all of the "odd" slots. This way each group will have a pick at each draft slot. It will be up to each group of 13 owners (NFFC or WCOFF) to determine which of their owners will draft at each draft slot.

Each league is points-based (no head-to-head), and begins with Week 1 of the NFL season and concludes after the Week 16 games. After Week 16, the scores from the 7 NFFC owners in the 14-team league are added to the scores from the 6 NFFC owners in the 12-team league. The same is done for the WCOFF owners. Whichever group of players (NFFC or WCOFF) has more cumulative points, wins! Simple enough?

Some other details:

* FAAB - the first FAAB period will run from Monday, September 11 to Friday, September 15. The last FAAB period will run from Monday, December 18 to Friday, December 22. The times will be determined at a later date.

* Dates of drafts - to be determined

* Website for draft - to be determined

* Commissioner if problems arise during the season - to be determined

* Entry fee - $250/owner

* Prizes - 100% cash payback. Each team in the winning group wins $500. Perhaps more important than that is knowing that you went up against the best and beat the best.

* Possible twist - Greg and Lenny put their event's reputation on the line. Are they confident in their own participants' abilities? If the WCOFF group wins, Greg rewards the group with an additional cash prize of $2,500 (or more). The WCOFF group determines how to appropriate the additional prize money amongst its 13 owners. If the NFFC group wins, Lenny rewards the group with an additional cash prize of $2,500 (or more). The NFFC group determines how to appropriate the additional prize money amongst its 13 owners.

As you can see from the above details, there are a few kinks to still be worked out, but this would be the working format. The main hurdle now is to figure out which 13 owners will represent the NFFC squad. I would propose that we let Greg determine at least 8 of these team members himself based on whatever criteria he feels is necessary. The remaining 5 or fewer spots would be chosen via message board nominations.

If everything works out as I believe it will, this should be a very popular event -- never before has such an undertaking been attempted. The potential exposure for both the NFFC and WCOFF is enormous. Let's make this happen!

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:52 am

As I said before the previous thread was hijacked, I endorse this idea and I think the contest would be a lot of fun. If Lenny and Emil agree to allow their participants to compete in such an event, I'll put up the prize money to back my 13 top participants. Not everyone will agree with the 13 people we choose to represent the NFFC, but it will definitely be a winning team. I want 13 owners who live and breathe fantasy football 24/7/365 and have a proven track record in the NFFC. I'll be the Vince Lombardi of this team and see if we can match the 12 World Championships that my beloved Green Bay Packers own.

I think a late August online draft for both contests would be fun. We'll await to see if Perry Van Hook can pull it off with the other contest. Could be a blast.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

TURBOUGH

Post by TURBOUGH » Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:01 am

I'll support Greg's selections. I know I won't be selected since my history has been so short. I do wish the 13 selections the best of luck. I will be here though for any advice one may wish. ;)

Message board nominations? Should have told me way before now. I've already upset a couple of owners BUT can make peace with any of them. :D

To make things simple, I'd say use WCOFF scoring system for the 12 team leagues and NCFF scoring system for the 14 team leagues.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:17 am

I've got the NFFC uniforms, helmets and cheerleaders picked out already! :D The pickin's were slim on the cheerleaders up here in Iola, Wisconsin, but they're all REALLY nice girls! :D

Agreed on the WCOFF scoring for the WCOFF league and the NFFC scoring for the 14-team league. No need to pick the NFFC roster yet so that we don't step on any egos, but the starting 10 is pretty obvious based on past performances. I like our NFFC team!!
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:19 am

Great idea! Greg - start picking your team, and then everyone can see where they are at. leave the last spot or two to be nominated via
***the MB
or
***let the group of 10 or 11 you decide their teamates
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:28 am

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
I've got the NFFC uniforms, helmets and cheerleaders picked out already! :D The pickin's were slim on the cheerleaders up here in Iola, Wisconsin, but they're all REALLY nice girls! :D

Agreed on the WCOFF scoring for the WCOFF league and the NFFC scoring for the 14-team league. No need to pick the NFFC roster yet so that we don't step on any egos, but the starting 10 is pretty obvious based on past performances. I like our NFFC team!! Out of curiousity Greg, are the 10 or 11 already picked in BOTH the 12 team league and the 14 team league, or will there be 2 total NFFC members participating??? (12 in one league, 14 in another)

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:32 am

Here's how it breaks down Billy:

13 NFFC owners vs. 13 WCOFF owners total.

6 NFFC owners vs. 6 WCOFF owners in one league

7 NFFC owners vs. 7 WCOFF owners in the other league.

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:35 am

Originally posted by King of Queens:
Here's how it breaks down Billy:

13 NFFC owners vs. 13 WCOFF owners total.

6 NFFC owners vs. 6 WCOFF owners in one league

7 NFFC owners vs. 7 WCOFF owners in the other league. Gotcha (was totally having a brain fart on that one!)

Thanks! :D

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:51 am

Again, these would be the obvious choices and for the obvious reasons:

1. Mark Srebro/Jason Emma: 2004 NFFC champs
2. Josh & Sid Ferenc: 2005 NFFC champs
3. Kyle Pope/Derek Anderson: Only two-time NFFC league champs
4. Glenn Schroter: NFFC Lifetime Standings Leader
5. Jeff Clampitt: No 2. NFFC Lifetime Standings
6. Eddie Gillis: NFFC Ultimate League champ and winner of other NFFC leagues
7. Mark Moyer: Multiple NFFC champ and Ultimate League runnerup
8. Mike Ferre/Darryl Lechniak: UYT is only two-time Draft Champions League champs

Those were the 8 I listed this morning before the crap hit the fan. Each of those deserve their place on this team. Eric Lundquist, Scott Gunaca/Mike Williams and Donald Thompson are also in the Top 10 Lifetime Standings and deserve consideration. There are others who are on the list too who have had two great seasons with us and we'll figure it out later. But I'd say those first 8 would be on the team if they chose to compete. No need to sell yourselves here as we'll figure it out later.

One great thing about this is that it would give even more incentive for our folks to compete hard each year and in as many events as possible. When you start winning multiple events like some of these guys have done, you know they are among the best. Each year the team would change and each year everyone would have the incentive to make this team. How much better could it get than that?

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:03 am

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
One great thing about this is that it would give even more incentive for our folks to compete hard each year and in as many events as possible. When you start winning multiple events like some of these guys have done, you know they are among the best. Each year the team would change and each year everyone would have the incentive to make this team. How much better could it get than that? yes...GREAT point.
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?