DRAFT RECAP........Let's Hear It.

Erok

Post by Erok » Sat Sep 04, 2004 8:14 pm

What was...

1- YOUR STRATEGY COMING IN? DID IT WORK?

2- BEST VALUE PICKS (Yours and others).

3- WHAT THE H*** PICKS (Picks that made you go hmmmm. You & others.)

4- WHO HAS THE BEST TEAM IN YOUR LEAGUE.

5- RECAP YOUR DRAFT. WHAT DID YOU LEARN or WHAT DO YOU REGRET?

lichtman

Post by lichtman » Sun Sep 05, 2004 2:10 am

What really amazed me was checking out all the draft boards after we were all done. There were so many vast differences.

There was one league where a guy got Fred Taylor in the back half of the first, Torry Holt in the top half of the second and Chad Freaking Johnson in thie third! In a one point per reception league, this guy got a stud RB, and two guys who could easily catch 100 balls. Good work whoever you are (the name Edelman sticks in my mind from the draft board)!

I think the biggest leasons from the draft were:

1. Know your scoring system and roster requirements (3 WRs + a likely WR flex is a lot -- if you're using a RB as your flex, you either drafted a great late sleeper or overpaid for a RB you didn't need in the first 3-4 rounds).

2. The "expert" website guys hold far too much influence with their favorite and least favorite players. In 15 years of fantasy football, I have never seen so many "he's good if the starter gets hurt" picks in the first four rounds. Nor have I seen so much faith in rookie/never been a starter before RBs. It's like I used to say about Jose Cruz Sr. When you have 15 guys telling you someone is underrated -- sometimes they become overrated.

3. The early round run on RBs was crazy. A WR that catches 50 for 500 yards and 5 TDs is essentially worth the same as a RB who rushes for 1000 yards and 5 TDs. The first guy went in the 9th round, the second guy went in the 3rd.

4. When people pay $1250 to do a fantasy league with strangers, 99% of them realize that the smartass comments after everyone's picks that are OK in the draft with your buddies are not really appropriate. And neither is someone bitching about someone taking their fully allotted draft time. But its that 1% that does not realize these things that can really get under your skin.
Hello. My name is Lee Scoresby. I come from Texas, like flying hot-air balloons, being eaten by talking polar bears and fantasy football.

Diesel

Post by Diesel » Sun Sep 05, 2004 2:18 am

"4. When people pay $1250 to do a fantasy league with strangers, 99% of them realize that the smartass comments after everyone's picks that are OK in the draft with your buddies are not really appropriate. And neither is someone bitching about someone taking their fully allotted draft time. But its that 1% that does not realize these things that can really get under your skin."----ICO

*The players at NY table 2 were all cool with anyone using their entire time to use their pick. In fact 2 times, a team let the time pass because they weren't 100% sure who they wanted. They lost their turn, and drafted after the following pick was taken. Of course we all agreed before the draft that kickers were most important. And Emmitt Smith was going to win the rushing title...lol...But once the draft started, there was nothing but professionals at League 2.

[ September 05, 2004, 08:19 AM: Message edited by: Diesel ]
*Ranked #1 Average Fantasy Football Player in the Nation 2004-2013

"Fantasy sports are all about LUCK. Except when I win."

BLACKHAND

Post by BLACKHAND » Sun Sep 05, 2004 2:34 am

table #1 was cool also. nobody moaned when time was running down. i must admit that the ONLY comment made was when a team picked RICKY WILLIAMS with the 11th or 12th pick. he must have seen ricky's "MAN" outside during break.
THIS IS THE BUSINESS WE HAVE CHOSEN

BONGIZMO

Post by BONGIZMO » Sun Sep 05, 2004 3:07 am

Originally posted by THE_BLACKHAND:
table #1 was cool also. nobody moaned when time was running down. i must admit that the ONLY comment made was when a team picked RICKY WILLIAMS with the 11th or 12th pick. he must have seen ricky's "MAN" outside during break. LOLOL...that was funny stuff...LOLOL
Never do card tricks for the people you play poker with.

renman

Post by renman » Sun Sep 05, 2004 3:43 am

i had the 1st pick on table 5.. and we had a great group. we got done 1st, had nice facilitators. i also agree that we do not need to be rushing people when we only have 1 minute per pick... lets be honest.. we all love this drafting process and it is one of, if not the best part of the fantasy football season. so why would anyone be in a RUSH to make it be finished?

as for my draft, my strategy ended when peyton manning got to me with the last pick in the second round. i was the ONLY guy in the room who took LT with first pick over holmes. i had intended to get a good value QB later (there are many). i took peyton with the 1st pick in the 3rd just to say i got him in the 3rd round...lol i then went with a run of WR's and will go into the season with 2 good starting RB's and no depth behind them. from my lists, i got 3 players from the top 28 players on my lists in my first 3 picks. a top kicker, the defense i wanted and a nice sleeper TE...

so all in all, i like my team even if i did not like drafting in the #1 position.

edelman24

Post by edelman24 » Sun Sep 05, 2004 6:19 am

ICO...thanx for the compliment on our draft this wasnt my intention going in to take all the WR but when barlow got picked in front of our #2 pick we quickly changed directions and went with HOLT but when Chad fell to us in the 3rd we were going crazy and couldnt beleive it with guys like TJ Duckett and WArrick Dunn getting picked ahead of us. I saw another draft that had Chad and MAson go in the 2nd round so for us to get Chad and Mason at the end of the 3rd and early 4th I think its a great start and hopefully with this scoring system will hold up..

kal8898

Post by kal8898 » Sun Sep 05, 2004 6:23 am

Originally posted by Ico Jones:
What really amazed me was checking out all the draft boards after we were all done. There were so many vast differences.

There was one league where a guy got Fred Taylor in the back half of the first, Torry Holt in the top half of the second and Chad Freaking Johnson in thie third! In a one point per reception league, this guy got a stud RB, and two guys who could easily catch 100 balls. Good work whoever you are (the name Edelman sticks in my mind from the draft board)! That was us (Mike Edelman & Keith Lewandowski) Ico and thanks!!! Since there wasn't much left in value for RB's we couldn't pass over 3 of the top 6 wr's with picks 2-4.
"Until there are none, Rescue One"
Rogers' Rescues
http://www.rogersrescues.com

KOB104

Post by KOB104 » Sun Sep 05, 2004 4:30 pm

NY5 showed that everyone had their act together (w/the exception of 1 team that picked an already chosen player 3 times)
picks were made quick and w/ confidence. all signs point to a great season!
renman, thanks for Priest! good luck all!

Hell's Coming With Me

Post by Hell's Coming With Me » Mon Sep 06, 2004 2:40 pm

Chicago...league 2. The best draft, slow, friendly. Nobody was rushing, everyone seemed to get their full $ 1,250 out of the draft...Why rush it when it costs so much...silly

We were drafting a good half hour after all of the other leagues were done with their...race. I was very lucky to draft with some guys who seemed to actually enjoy drafting, and weren't all fired up about getting the draft over, as they were more content to relax and enjoy drafting....which was great.

On a smaller note...it would be nice if leagues that were done drafting early.... would shut up, or go away, so that those of us still drafting could hear. The narcissism of the quick drafting leagues was a touch on the rude side.

Possibly those guys could be filtered out of the room in future years.

But even with the noisy outsiders at the end....it was the best time drafting in a big money league I've ever had.
PEACE